Riding very skinnies

OK, as soon as I get up on a skinny that starts to look scary, I ‘fall off’ (it’s my brain pushing me off at the last ‘safe’ moment)

Luckily, not every time this happens do I actually hear Harper’s loud chicken clucking noise and see his flapping arms…but it still haunts me :frowning:

Mountain bikers strategy is too look forward not at the skinny, but they have their handlebars in their peripheial (sp!) vision to guage themselves on.

So, you skinny riders, approx. how far do you look in front of you? Do you look at the horizon, or do you try to see ‘some’ wood in front of you?

I try to remember the excellent advice Kris Holms give in the Into Thunder Dragon movie. For still-stands, try to keep your weight over the wheel. For skinnies, try to keep the wheel under you. I think that’s it, but I may have gotten them backwards.

I usually look 10-15 feet ahead, sometimes more, sometimes less, but most of the time it is 10-15 feet.

john

Unless! the rail is shorter than that or when I am nearing the end, I look at the end of the rail.

The skinnier the skinny, the closer to the wheel I look. When I’m riding something where the tyre is wider than the rail, for example when I’m riding on my 35mm practice rail, I look a bit less than a metre in front of the wheel. That way I can see the wheel clearly and I don’t really need to look far in front because I’m going slowly anyway.

But then there is the type of skinny where it’s so narrow that you can’t move the wheel side to side underneath you. Then you (or at least I do) do a moving stillstand sort of thing.

That’s just what I do.

Andrew