Riding one-footed

Congratulations! It’s thrilling when that second pedal smacks into the sole of your shoe for the first time, isn’t it? My technique has evolved, and things happen more gently now, though I always tried to have the first pedal closer to 2:00 before stepping on it. You don’t have to watch that pedal the whole time, though. On a 20" wheel, I go 6 steps and then can look down just for an instant and return to the pedals. 10 steps is also another good window, as is 8 steps on my 29. If I go for a long walk, though, I do generally have to look down when I am preparing to return to the pedals because after 60 steps I have no idea where they will be. For me, at least, it is necessary to not only have the pedals in the right position, but to have slowed way down at the moment they reach that position, so a tiny bit of planning is needed. I slow down so much that I would lose my balance if I stayed at that speed, so I have to make sure the extreme slowness is only happening right at the instant I am stepping on the pedals. Sometimes I do actually start to fall, but I regain my balance when I start to pedal again.

Well, as I have said, I learned to ride one-footed with the free foot in the air because I felt more secure this way, easy to dismount. In the beginning I tried to put the free foot on the crown, and the attempt was followed by a nasty fall.

However, few months later, as I am quite comfortable jiggling the foot in the air, just for fun I tried to park it on the frame. It is not really surprising, but wow. The riding improved immediately and I can cover much longer distances without upd. :astonished:

One foot, seriously?

Wow, so it is possible.

I guess I have to hit the wall, rails, tennis court nets,…again. That’s how I learned to ride the unicycle. This time with one foot.

So, this sounds like a great concentration workout on the unicycle for a short distance or fixed area. I’ve been doing “off the seat” practice whenever a fence/rail is available. However, one-footing sounds like another thing to try. Since, it takes away the stability of constant pedal tension, one-footing relies a lot of fwd/aft hip action for balance and thigh pressure to keep the unicycle straight. Am I right about that?

Also, I believe if I can “sorta” master this, then I will be able to do a rolling mount because it’s the same action.

Hmm. I’d say that rolling mount is much easier and is not really related to one-footed riding…

That sounds more dangerous than one-footing into the open. Hanging out on a fence with one foot in the 12:00 position…could cause a bad fall.

I suggest you approach one-footed riding from “both ends”. One end is the “go for it” method where you ride forward, remove one foot and hope for the best. The other end is to practice skills related to one-foot riding, such as one-foot idling, one-foot still-stands, slow mounts and slow, graceful dismounts off the back. What all those things have in common is that they indicate the position where one foot is removed from the pedal.

I learned one-footed riding after learning one-foot idling. I kept making the idles bigger until I went over the top. I’m sure there are a lot of more-talented riders on the forum who could just “go for it.”

I never mastered one-footed with the foot off the crown. I consider one-footing to be easier with the foot on the crown. But others have learned differently.

I feel more comfortable one-foot riding with somewhat grippier pedals. Unfortunately, for practically everything else, I like pedals that are somewhat smoother (making foot adjustments easier). My current pedals are pretty worn down, and that is my excuse to not practice one-footed.

Looks very good. congrats. Fun vid with the 10cm obstacle. when you start riding it looks like a very big box.
How much time do you think you put in, in total to get to this point?

I have started 18 months ago, but I have spent almost a year without practice due to a foot fracture (not related to the uni). So I’d say it was essentially two last summers with 30-60 min practice a day.