Riding one-footed

It has been (approximately) a month that I have started to learn one-footed riding, and the average for me is ~10 revs on nice flat pavement, ~40 revs being my record. Guys, am I slow or is it hard to ride for 1km one-footed? Youtube videos make that seem so desperately easy…

One-footed riding is slightly easier going down a gentle hill, and quite a bit harder going up any sort of hill at all, but generally my experience has been similar to yours. My record is about 130 revolutions, and I have found it slightly easier with longer cranks, but probably just because that was what I was used to when I was really practicing one-foot riding. I am pretty sure I would have to work pretty hard to get to the point of riding one-footed for 1 km without any UPDs. I believe I have gotten better at riding over bumps one-footed, but I still need to learn one-footed with my other foot. Not sure if any of this information will help you, but good luck!

Haqrue, how did you start learning one wheel riding? Against a wall or just letting go with one foot while riding normally, hoping you can make another rev?

Thank you for sharing your experience! One more question: when I read how-tos on one-footed riding, it is recommended to put the other foot on the unicycle frame. I do that for one-footed idling, and it improves the stability, but when I tried to do this for riding, I fell immediately. So I practice with my other foot in the air, and I always land on my feet, not a single miss in thousands of attempts. UPDs happen pretty quickly and I simply do not have time to remove the foot from the crown to land properly… What is the trick?

Setonix, nah, no wall. I ride and then remove one foot. I think it is important to have some initial speed.

How high is your seat? I think my leg will just cramp up if I have to put my foot on the frame. What size uni are you learning this on? Yesterday I ordered a 24" QUAX and I thought maybe one-footed riding and learning to ride backwards might be easier on that size.

Riding one footed tends to be easy for 4/5 people, in my experience. You might be the 1/5, nothing helps but practice then. Also, it’s very sensitive to bumps, and uphill/downhill, so depending on where you ride, it may be just that that’s giving you issues.

I think falling will usually sort itself out, but I’m pretty sure the foot on the pedal is the one that hits the ground first for me, if that is help. I practiced one footed coasting when my foot was injured once, and had to land on the foot that’s on the frame first (since that was the functioning one), and while that’s possible, you have to be pretty fast, and end up with a lot of impact.

If I do that, I’m down instantly.
I can’t seem to find a way to get started :frowning:

I imagine it is just about jumping in the deep. Occasionally when shifting my foot, I use too much force and the foot flies off the pedal. Then out of panic I instantly hop off. Maybe with some controlled removing my foot, it will become less panicky.

Haqrue, will you take your one footed riding to the next step and rolling with both feet in the air?

finnspin, what is the distance you can reliably cover one-footed? I’d like to calibrate my goals :slight_smile:

20" qu-ax, seatpost 350mm beyond max marks, I need to buy a longer seatpost.

20” is the best wheel size for learning any skill, at least in my experience. People I have met who are good at one-footed riding tend to keep their seat pretty high.

Funny you ask, I just took my freestyle to the shops, and noticed my right pedal was (still) loose. Funny how unicycles don’t fix themselves :roll_eyes: Anyway, I ended up riding one footed for portions without traffic. If I concentrate, I can go 200ish revs pretty reliably, as long as there are no harsh bumps.

Thank you, this is a valuable piece of information I was lacking. I mean, 10m goal for the IUF skills is easy, but nowhere could I find the real distances people can reasonably cover. I need to buy a longer seatpost and find a way to put my free foot on the crown, and I’d say that few hundreds of revs is doable.

I ride with one foot on the crown, and I’ve never had any problems. I keep one hand on the saddle handle, and push the uni out from under me when I start to lose it, which might help getting that foot down.

I think bailing out early is an important unicycle skill; when I was a beginner I tended to go “down with the ship” a lot more, partly because I stayed on too long, partly because I was slower to recognize when the ship was going down.

What foot comes to the ground first? For me it is simultaneous or the free foot first. I am scared to hell to remove the only foot from the pedal as the unicycle tends to shoot out from under me.

Just for fun, I kept track of my first week progress.

Here is a video of my first day:

I simply tried to remove one foot while riding. Here is the histogram of the number of revolutions I have managed to do on the first day:

On the second day I beat my record by 1 revolution and no 0 revs attempts!

3rd day seems to be a regress after the 2nd :frowning:

On the 4th day I have almost doubled my record!

And later on not much record improvement, however the average improves slightly.
5th day:

6th day:

7th day:

And the trend continues smoothly, no real breakthroughs as it was with the regular unicylcing. 30 days later my average is at ~10 revs. From time to time I still completely miss the ride (0/1/2 revs), and the current record is ~40 revs.

Wow, your Day 1 is really impressive, and you have managed to do something that I still cannot: one-footed riding with the other foot in the air. I will have to give it another try.

Now that you are going a few revolutions, you will improve even if your practice sessions are very short because you are getting some real practice every time. For learning new skills, I am only at my best for the first half hour or so.

Thanks for the vid of your first day riding. By looking at how you tumble off when you lose balance and like you said you always land on your feet, I might give it a go. It must be easier than riding a UW.