RIDING - on a Coker - at last!

OK - it finally happened! At the juggling club tonight Dave forced me to head out into the abyss solo and I didn’t die or break anything. He did just about have to hold a gun to my head and threaten to pull the trigger, but he got me out there and it was actually quite cool.

My best performance was 5 pedal pushes before falling off. Heck, it’s a coker, that’s the same as, what, riding a couple of miles on a smaller wheel :wink: I THINK I might have done more on one run, but I was distracted by people passing clubs and gave up counting to yell “Get out of the way, I can’t stop”. I seem to veer to the left and had to change my launch point as I had this magnetic attraction for a pile of clubs on the floor.

Timewise I am up to the 11 hour mark as I was at 10 1/4 hours by today and I must have put in at least another 45 minutes at the club. I’ll keep counting and let you know when I get up to 50m without UPDing.

I celebrated with a chunky Kit Kat and the pleasant thought that the two pairs of boots I bought today will now be worn by a REAL unicyclist, not a wannabe wuss. I’m also glad that I’ve managed the whole unsupported riding thing before my birthday on Monday. It was one of my goals for the year. Now I just need to get riding down pat so I can unicycle in my graduation gown on 25 May.

This weekend I’m childfree and visiting the parking lot to practice some more. I’m on a roll now!

I have also caved to peer pressure and will be purchasing some cycling shorts, despite my religious objections to wearing them. When you start to put in a little extra time in the saddle a bit of padding in the right places can make a BIG difference.

Jayne

Congratulations!
You’ll probably hit 50 pedal pushes in less than a week. :slight_smile:

Good job! Did you win the bet?

Thats awesome! I’ve been reading all the updates and waiting for the big day. You rock! :smiley:

Nice going, Jayne!

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Re: RIDING - on a Coker - at last!

the whole episode wasn’t without it’s typically jayne moments of humour
when i first suggested the unsupported idea, gentle like, by saying something along the lines of ‘stop your sh*t, ride!’
my suggestion was met with ‘but it’s scary’
that got my fairly stock response of ‘if it wasn’t scary, everyone would be doing it!’
now normally, in conjunction with my bellowing tone, shaved head and manly physique, this is enough to intimidate most wanna-learners into stopping their aforementioneds and riding
not so with our jayne
‘but chocolate isn’t scary and everybody’s doing THAT!’
can’t argue with that kinda logic…

the delay in jayne’s riding of the coker is entirely my fault
for weeks now i’ve been telling her that it’s real close
i forgot to mention that occasionally u have to lean forward and reach for it…

It took me a lot more than 11 hours to get that far. Congratulations, Jayne!

Way to go, Jayne!!!
Looks like you’ve conquered “the BEAST”
It won’t be long and Gild will be wondering how he’s going to keep up with you:D :smiley:

Well done - how about a picture?

For the record:
I didn’t win the bet as I didn’t get all the way across the hall. I reckon Dave deserved his beer for getting me out into the scary abyss all by myself.
I don’t intimidate easily and take full responsibility for being too scared to venture out on my own.
By the time that Dave gets back from his trip to the UK I hope to be riding around the hall in great big figure eights and steering the uni rather than aiming it.
No photos as yet. I have some of Jackie on the coker and of her “helping” me practice. If I can stay on long enough for Leslie to take a picture this weekend then I’ll have one of me riding. Then I just need to finish the film and get them developed and scanned so I can put them on the web.

I am looking forward to whizzing round the hall rather than dragging myself along a wall and watching everybody else whizzing round on MY unicycle.

Jayne

mango wrote:
> Thats awesome! I’ve been reading all the updates and waiting for the big
> day. You rock! :smiley:

I shall be very surprised if she’s rocking just yet :wink:

Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
<url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

Not that I’m doubting there is one, but what religion requires you to have crotch pain?

In other words, bike shorts don’t hvae to be lycra spandex on the outside. You can always get some mountain bike shorts. Congratulations on taming the Coker!

Re: Re: RIDING - on a Coker - at last!

The religious objection is more along the lines of “god they look stupid”. :slight_smile:

I did actually try some cycling shorts on yesterday. Dave suggested the bib shorts as they (apparently) are less prone to bagginess. The shop I went to had them, but none in the “Ladies” version. The assistant was QUITE right when he warned me about how uncomfortable they would be, and that was just standing in the change room. I’m holding out for a ladies version. There are some things that you need to be gender specific about. :wink:

Jayne

Congrats Jayne for the unsupported ride. I’ve been following your
updates and will now wait for more exiting news. Practicing should be
even more fun now. Power to you! And thank you for keeping track of
the time.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system

Re: Re: Re: RIDING - on a Coker - at last!

Jayne, CONGRADULATIONS!! It’s been great fun following your progress.

Most of my women friends ride with regular (non bib) women’s shorts. Since womens’ waists are much smaller than their hips there isn’t the need for the tight waistband that most men find uncomfortable. As for bagginess, get a quality brand. The better shorts are constructed from multiple panels with the lycra oriented so it moves with you as you ride. This reduces chafing and irritation.

Alright!

Nice work.

You’re part of a very elite club.

Re: Re: RIDING - on a Coker - at last!

Klaas, sometimes the timekeeping is a pain but I think of it as data collection and practice for when work institutes a time tracking system. Also, I have finally found a 16 inch unicycle locally and will be teaching my 4YO to ride. She’s been nagging me about getting her a “little unicycle” ever since I got the coker. I’ll be all diligent and keep track of her time too. Hopefully her enthusiasm won’t wane once she gets the wheel. I have promised that she can come to juggling club meetings once she can unicycle. That should be quite an incentive as she HATES it when I go out in the evenings.

Thank you. Shouldn’t be hard finding a venue for meetings.

Jayne

Re: Re: Re: RIDING - on a Coker - at last!

Get her a 29"r then :slight_smile:

Re: Re: Re: Re: RIDING - on a Coker - at last!

Don’t joke - she keeps trying to ride the 24 and is SO FRUSTRATED that it isn’t the right size for her.

Jayne

On Sat, 1 May 2004 08:29:47 -0500, “Jayne ZA” wrote:

>I’ll be all diligent and
>keep track of her time too.

How great is that! Both of your data points will be in virtually
unexplored space, yours for wheel size and hers for age. Youngest in
my current (processed) dataset was 5 when starting learning.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system