Riding Hoolding Seat Not Sitting On It

i really wanna get the trick where u don’t sit on yr seat butu hold it out infront of u…

anyone done/know how 2 do this?:slight_smile:

It does indeed seem a silly thing to want to do when first starting. I remember it well, it was massively wobbly and felt impossible…

I found it extremely difficult with a viscount or cheap no-name saddle because they have quite a wide back. The miyata seemed thinner, so easier to pull forward in time before you fall off.

Hold it with both hands, and try to pull (or push) it against your forward leg so it doesn’t wobble around on it’s own. I also found hopping like this much easier than riding along… I’m still rather wobbly at that…

As usual, just practice… with time it’ll stop seeming ridiculously unstable as you get the hang of it.

Phil

Someone get this guy a spell check.

My eyes hurt!

treepotato, I am in the process of working towards this as well. I have found it helpful to ride around a lot standing up off the seat with the seat still between your legs. That way you can get used to the feeling of being out of the saddle before taking the next step of pulling the seat out in front.

It may be personal but I prefer to hold the seat with one hand. That frees the other arm for balance.

Klaas Bil

thanx

" I have found it helpful to ride around a lot standing up off the seat with the seat still between your legs. "

good idea zod i will try this out thanx
:wink:

hu hum

:roll_eyes: sorry Xwonka!

“Someone get this guy a spell check.” as long as wot i type makes sense does it really matter???

Re: Riding Hoolding Seat Not Sitting On It

In article <treepotato.niosn@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
treepotato.niosn@timelimit.unicyclist.com (treepotato) wrote:

>
> i really wanna get the trick where u don’t sit on yr seat butu hold it
> out infront of u…
>
> anyone done/know how 2 do this?:slight_smile:
>
>
> –
> treepotato - i lost a wheel!
I’m learning this trick too. You can hold the saddle behind you as well,
if you want to. I find I have most success if I hold the saddle with one
hand, but when I’m riding I just pull the saddle upwards, as hard as I
can. I put the other arm out to help me balance. A guy at the juggling
club I go to does a similar thing where he bends right over the saddle, so
his tummy is resting on it and puts both arms out.

Liam

Re: Riding Hoolding Seat Not Sitting On It

In article <treepotato.nitno@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
treepotato.nitno@timelimit.unicyclist.com (treepotato) wrote:

>
> :roll_eyes: sorry Xwonka!
>
> “Someone get this guy a spell check.” as long as wot i type makes sense
> does it really matter???
>
>
> –
> treepotato - can u explain why it has one wheel?

It doesn’t really matter - type how you like. It’s just that it’s easier
on other people’s eyes if what they read uses standard spelling and
grammar. You might also get more help in relation to your posts. I mean,
the post I’m replying to is alright - not too hard to understand, but when
I read your root message, I had to read it over twice, because it didn’t
flow too well.

As I said before, it’s up to you, but some people don’t read posts with
loads of abbreviations and text words.

But then, some people don’t read posts in which someone waffles on about
something for ages…

Liam

First learn to ride with your stomach on the seat. This is an intermediate skill that gives you a lot of help in learning what is called ‘riding, seat out front’ .

Here is how I learned: I found a teather ball pole in a local playground. The playground had a gentle slope down, it seemed a little easier practicing with a little downhill. Holding on to the pole, I positioned myself with my stomach on the seat and tried to pedal off. Even one rev is good at first, so don’t be discouraged. Once you can do this 20+ yards, or more, try to get back to sitting on the seat. This is a separate but important skill. Once you are fairly confident in doing the riding part of stomach on seat, start practicing going from riding to the skill.

While riding, slow down, or stop. When the cranks are parallel to the ground (at 3/9 o’clock), stand up and pull the seat out a little and immediately put your stomach on the seat. Continue to ride…stomach now on seat.

For seat out front, also start in a static position. Holding on to a pole, or a wall, pull the seat out and get the feeling of just standing there. Try riding a half rev, going back to cranks horizontal. Think in half revs until you get 3-4 of these down. Initially, press the seat against your legs to steady the seat. Once you get good, you can move the seat away from your body, or even just hold the seatpost/seat between your legs with no hands.

About the spellchecker: I think the original post was beyone repair. I don’t think a spellchecker would have helped much. The language did appear to be an English derivative, and the humans seemed to decode the meaning.

concerning the spelling, here’s an interesting site: -
http://www.spellingsociety.org/pubs/leaflets/cutspelng.html
I’m pretty good at spelling, but I’m really starting to question the value of our present system where the rules for correct spelling follow no coherent logical pattern.

Even if you change the spelling to something more logical you’ve still got the grammar to cope with. Maybe we should make that more logical too… the perfect language; simple and to the point. It will be a language rapidly taken up by everyone! We shall call it… Esperanto!

Phil