Riding bicycle without touching handle bars

I’ve been practicing on riding a unicycle. I am not good, as I can only
travel up to 45-60 feet before falling over. I have been practicing a lot.
Well, yesterday I decided to ride my bicycle, and I was curious to see if
I could pedal without touching the handlebars. During the short initial
moment, I couldn’t ride it well. With a bit more practice, I was quickly
able to ride my mountain bicycle on the paved road for a long distance
without touching the handles bars.

So, as a silly question, did my unicycle practice sessions somehow
transpose is itself to my ability to ride a bicycle without grabbing the
handlebars? In other words, it there a kind of balance relationship
between the two? Or is it completely unrelated due to the obvious number
of wheels?

> So, as a silly question, did my unicycle practice sessions somehow
> transpose is itself to my ability to ride a bicycle without grabbing the
> handlebars? In other words, it there a kind of balance relationship
> between the two?

Surely working out on the unicycle made you more aware of your balance.
This can apply not only to bike riding, but anything else you do in life
that involves balance. The skills I learned from unicycling come in
handy all the time, from standing on a chair to walking along the edge
of a cliff.

Riding bikes no-handed is mostly a factor of fork angle. The shallower the
angle, the easier the bike will go no-hands. This is only a generalization
though, because rake or offset in the fork is also a factor.

Stay on top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone jfoss@unicycling.com
www.unicycling.com

“The difference between a winner and a loser is character.”

wow, the first time i tried to ride a bike without touching the handlebars, after learning to ride the unicycle… I had a nasty spill and sprained my ankle. Needless to say, I’ve stuck with the unicycle and give up on the two wheelers, lol :slight_smile:

          -Aåron

Before I learned to unicycle I was very comfortable riding a bike without
touching the handle bars. But now, I can barely do it and it feels like a
scary and risky thing. Unicycling has helped in other ways, but as far as
hands-off biking, it is a giant setback. It’s very interesting that since
you learned in the opposite order, it seemed to help you.

—Nathan

“crest” <not.valid@email.com> wrote in message
news:IrLi7.184754$g_3.33209632@typhoon.austin.rr.com
> I’ve been practicing on riding a unicycle. I am not good, as I can only
> travel up to 45-60 feet before falling over. I have been practicing a
lot.
> Well, yesterday I decided to ride my bicycle, and I was curious
> to see if
I
> could pedal without touching the handlebars. During the short initial
> moment, I couldn’t ride it well. With a bit more practice, I was quickly
> able to ride my mountain bicycle on the paved road for a long distance
> without touching the handles bars.
>
> So, as a silly question, did my unicycle practice sessions somehow
transpose
> is itself to my ability to ride a bicycle without grabbing the
> handlebars? In other words, it there a kind of balance relationship
> between the two?
Or
> is it completely unrelated due to the obvious number of wheels?

I’ve been on the uni all summer and just last week I was on a tandem bike. As my friend, Erik, could attest… it was a frightening experience.

I rode with my hands of the bars lots of times as a kid, and no hands on the uni, obviously. But I didn’t dare let go on that tandem bike, even when I was on the back!

-darrell

— darrell <forum.member@unicyclist.com> wrote:
> I’ve been on the uni all summer and just last week I was on a tandem
> bike. As my friend, Erik, could attest… it was a frightening
> experience.
>
> I rode with my hands of the bars lots of times as a kid, and no hands on
> the uni, obviously. But I didn’t dare let go on that tandem bike, even
> when I was on the back!

A new bike video coming out in september called Fat Tire Fury will feature
one guy doing wheelies on a tandem bike, with a blow-up doll on the
passenger seat. That should be interesting to see!

-Kris.


Do You Yahoo!? Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with
Yahoo! Messenger http://im.yahoo.com

Is that from the same production company that brought us the UniVerse video? You guys were amazing!!!

And I’ve never seen a better FBI warning than on that video!! :wink: