Riding backward

origenaly posted by Unicycle Kid in a hopping thread

(I would have posted last night, but we have had a little problem with tornado’s down here.)

I’m only up to 2-3 revs looking back, but here is what has helped me:

Iddling, both sides. ( After rudementary developement of any skill, I ride on the “off” side untill I am equaly well developed, then march the skill forward. This is also usefull for detecting bad habits- when you can do the deed better or more efficiantly with the off foot, it is illuminating).

Hopping and stand stills: hopping has been a real eye opener about what balancing entails- and what is possible. The Muniac talks about micro pressure adjustments of foot pressure on his hopping tutorial; once my leg streangth and skill reached a point where I could make use of this, many things that seemed impossable for me have become much easyer. An excersize I started just today illustrates this: I rode with arms crossed. This forced my riding to be much tighter; without those flailing arms, difficiancies of technique become big ugly road signs. I tried doing all sorts of basic things- with only foot pressure and minor torso movements to assist. It’s amazing what good foot controll can do for you…

…in this case, riding backward. I had the same questions about looking backward. First, I knew my developed instincts would hinder me to some extent- torso flexing and arm movements- so I forced myself to ride tight with foot pressure as the primary controll. Next I rode forward facing sideways untill comfortable- then continued riding forward while looking back for brief intervals. This way you aren’t attempting multiple new skills at the same time- you’r just riding backward in a position that you have riden forward in.

That’s my 2 cents (for what it’s worth). I have not had the benifit of instruction- there are probably more effective aproaches (speeking of which, I have always found riding next to a wall to be an enhinderance- except as a crutch to mount. As a beginer, I rode AWAY from the wall, not along it). I’d love to hear what has worked for others.

Christopher

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:35:06 +0000 (UTC), rhysling
<forum.member@unicyclist.com> wrote:

>which, I have always found riding next to a wall to be an enhinderance-
>except as a crutch to mount. As a beginer, I rode AWAY from the wall, not
>along it). I’d love to hear what has worked for others.
When I was learning, I rode along walls or railing. More experienced
riders urged me to venture into free space, but the funny thing at the
time was: I could ride along a railing unsupported for, cay, 10 meters,
but when there was no railing I got nervous and fell within one or two
revolutions.

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked
automagically from a database:” “SISDE, J-Star, l0ck”

I have a simmilar hang up when iddling: if I have a destinctive area I’m trying to stay in (say, on a man-hole cover, or a particular paver) I can iddle dependably for extended periods (iddling for 1 minute is an extended period in my book). However, if the iddling is gratuetuous, or is just on open black top, I tend to lose my focus much quicker. Wierd!

The more I lern, the less I know…

Christopher