Ride the Lobster Publicity

How did they get your contact info?

Thatā€™s a great article! I think that as we create a buzz about RTL locally, we better the climate for participation, sponsorships & media coverage come June. Thereā€™s a reporter visiting our club this week to write about Ride the Lobster and unicycling in general.

I think one of the RTL organisers contacted them, Iā€™m not totally sure.

Paul

Me too! :slight_smile:

Nice article, dude!

Joe Marshall and myself have now made it on to Page 3 of the Nottingham Evening Post.;

The text is;
Cycling across Canada on two wheels would test any biker to the limit.

But two Notts men are determined to try the 500-mile cold trek on just the one.

Joe Marshall, 29, from Beeston, and his pal Spencer Owen, 32, from Bramcote, will attempt the Ride the Lobster challenge this June.

It will see them ride the length of Nova Scotia in just five days, at speeds of up 15mph.

It is dubbed the unicycle equivalent of the Tour de France and is named after the shape of Nova Scotia - which almost forms one of two ā€˜clawsā€™ on the east coast of Canada.

Joe, a University of Nottingham student, and Spencer, an IT worker, are currently in the middle of a gruelling training regime to get them ready for the 100-mile-a-day ride.

Both are long-time unicycle fans, using the single-wheeled bikes as their preferred mode of transport.

Joe, 29, fell in love with the unicycle when he was living in London.

ā€œI got into unicycling originally just because I love circus stuff, then I discovered there were people riding them down mountains and things,ā€ he said.

"Iā€™ve not done much ā€˜circusā€™ unicycling.

ā€œBut when I lived in London, I only had a tiny flat so I couldnā€™t fit a bike in there, so I used my unicycle instead. It turned out to be more practical.ā€

The pair, along with American James Amon, have dubbed their team The Goonies.

They will be supported by Joeā€™s wife, law PhD student Penny Munro. She is not a unicyclist but will be going along to help co-ordinate their route.

ā€œSheā€™s quite supportive of my stupid ideas,ā€ Joe said. "I unicycled in New Zealand last year and we went down a field just after the first snow of the season and that was pretty tough.

"It was rocky, downhill and steep.

"I do ride normal bikes as well, itā€™s just a bit more of a challenge on a unicycle.

ā€œWeā€™re riding about 50 to 60 miles a week at the moment,ā€ Joe explained. "Last weekend, we had a big training weekend with a whole bunch of people from around the country.

"We did a big ride from Beeston to Cromford in the Peak District and back.

"The hardest thing about Ride the Lobster is probably going to be going up against the fastest riders in the world.

"We all know we can ride the distance at a comfortable speed. But the speed will have to be about 15mph or so to keep up which might be tough.

"Weā€™ve got to do it in five days, weā€™re sure we can do that.

"Weā€™re certainly thinking weā€™ll be in the middle of the pack as far as places go, but weā€™re training hard to do as well as we can.

"The unicycles we use have got big wheels, which makes them faster and more stable.

ā€œOnce youā€™ve learned to ride a unicycle theyā€™re quite stable really. Itā€™s just like riding a bike.ā€

The challenge runs from June 16 to 20.

A spokesman for the organisers said: "Ride the Lobster is a unique, international unicycle race, unlike any other ever held.

"Itā€™s an ultra-marathon for the unicycling community.

ā€œThe distance will be 800km in stages, over five days, and, with over 25 teams of three riders each from around the world competing for at least (10,000 Canadian dollars) in prize money; it will be one event you wonā€™t want to miss.ā€

All the teams taking part in Ride the Lobster will be tracked and mapped by global positioning satellites, and their positions in the race will be available in almost real-time via the internet.

Visit www.ridethelobster.com for more details

Me too, RTL Top story

It is top story on the website and i am on the whole cover of the western star as well as page 3.:slight_smile:

Nice article! I would really love to participate and go to Nova Scotia for RTL, but I guess you need three on a team and ride approx 33 miles per day each? Iā€™d definitley be up for that but would need to find two ppl to team up with. my guess is everybody is probably already teamed up.:frowning:

hey terry i was thinking about going next year and i also will need two partners. just somthing to keep in mind for the future. we could win it all!:slight_smile:

I made the front page of local paper for RTL

See details here

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/front/article/228617

Granted Iā€™ve yet to do my qualifing run I hope to have the support of my community and bring awarness to the event.

RTL riders still trying to put together teams.

By my count so far RTL has 60 qualified riders and eight teams of 3 riders, so looks like 36 riders loose. 'Course the Berkley ā€œYamā€™sā€ and ā€œTotally Doableā€ havenā€™t been thru registration yet, and we have yet to get a bunch of Europeans. Even Ken Looi and the NZ crowd havenā€™t qualified yet, so Iā€™m guessing a canvass of the riders might turn up team mates.

Check qualified riders at www.ridethelobster.com. click RACE, then RIDERS, then click the map of the country of your choice.

Weā€™d love to have you, Muniaddict. Maybe AARP can sponsor Team Geezer? :roll_eyes:

Team Goonies = #1 !

Is there a limit to how many people can enter?

http://www.ridethelobster.com/faqs/#TeamInformation

Yeah I read (really kinda skimmed over) the FAQs first before I posted the question, but I couldnā€™t find a concrete answer; it said " With over 25 teams of 3 riders eachā€¦"
Edit: took me while to find it, but it looks like there is no limit, but there is a minimum of 25 teams needed.

Looks like Iā€™m on the Radio tomorrow morning

I will be interviewed by CBC radio tomorrow morning at 6:15am for Ride the lobster.

Thats cool.

If it getā€™s above 35 (which they doubt), then they might have to limit it. The goal is to have around 100 riders. (33 teams)

Hey, Totally Doable is registered and on the site. I think Yam Power is still out there on the road somewhere.

Link to Ride the lobster interview

Here is a link to the CBC radio interview that I was on.

Though Iā€™d share for the curious.

http://www.unicyclist.com/index.php?page=gallery&g2_itemId=563885

rtl RADIO INTERVIEW IN Fā€™ton, New Brunswick, Canada

Great stuff, man. I had no idea you did all that other stuff besides uni.
It was a great plug for the event.
Thanks from the RTL Racing Society. Canā€™t wait to see the qualifying ride details: Fredericton is a hilly place. Good on you.
Wobble on.
Best,
William