Ride Suggestions for Coker Help Please

Ok,
here is the story. I have been riding my coker for about 5 years now. I usually ride 1500-2500 miles a year. I live near chicago. I think the scenery here sucks! and I want to go somewhere and ride for a few days. This trip would most likely be in September. Let’s keep the suggestions to the US, to keep the cost down. I am sure you will all have some good suggestions. Please mention only those suitable for a 36" coker.

Some areas I am considering but do not have enough info on, are;
Arches National Park Utah, Grand Teton National Park, Joshua Tree National Park and Yellowstone National Park. If you have been to any of these please let me know the suitability for a Coker.

Any pics you have of these places would be great as well.

Also any and all advice you have about taking Cokers on planes would be great!

Thanks

I have never cokered at any of those places. I have been to Joshua trees a number of times. It is a beautiful but austere place. I usually visit in November of March-April. I avoid it in the summer because it is very hot and dry. It is a beautiful place in March, but is full on desert in August and September.

The other limitation is that only roads are open to mountain bikes. There are a number of hiking trails, but I do not think you are allowed to ride on them. You might check into those rules at all your prospective locations. If you plan to stay on the roads it does not matter, but if you want to ride trails, be sure it is allowed.

Have a great trip.

In just about all national parks you will be limited to riding on the roads.

To be honest I haven’t done any Uni touring, but I have done a lot of bicycle touring.

Since you will be doing road riding anyway I would consider doing a bed and breakfast tour of a pretty spot like Nova Scotia, or New England. Closer to home would be Lelanau county in Michigan (Sleeping Bear Dunes Natl. Lakeshore), or Door county in Wisconsin. Going west to California’s wine country, or the Red Wood Forest.

What kind of daily mileage would you plan for? Yellowstone is huge, and you could easily do century days just to get from one attraction to another, and back to your lodging.

gemini bridges trail at Moab is ok for Coker (but not extremely long I have done it with a 24 Muni).
At Arches national park you’ll have to stick to the road though I suspect there is a fairly long trail for Muni Coker at the end of the road (just figuring from the plan, since it is open to off-road vehicles).

I would plan on 30, 40 or possibly 50 miles a day.

I looked at Moab/Arches. It seems they have some easy MTB trails. I am thinking if the trail is rated a 1 that possibly I can ride it. I often ride gravel and crushed limestone here. We have some hills, but nothing like they have. The hills I think I can manage, but if the trails have huge ruts or roots, stuff like that, then it would be too difficult.

I do not have a problem riding roads. I ride roads here as well, At least in Moab, I am thinking the visitors might be kinder to a one wheeler on the road.

If you are or want to get in good climbing shape, there are lots of very scenic alpine road rides in Colorado. Search-up just about any thread started by AspenMike and you’ll find an example.

For plane travel, make yourself a wheel bag or buy one of the Nimbus bags from UDC. For some airlines, this doesn’t cross the line into “oversize bags” with the corresponding extra cost. Pack the frame, seat, and helmet in your regular luggage, then stuff your riding clothes, socks, underware, etc. in between the spokes of the wheel before you bag it up. You’ll be amazed how much stuff will fit in there. Some people remove the cranks and pop tennis balls over the axle ends, but I just leave the cranks on and have never had a problem.

Another thing to consider before planning is altitude. We in the Chicago area will take time to assimilate to higher altitudes.

I’d also think about where other riders are who might want to go riding with you.

Riding in amazing new places is cool. Riding in amazing new places with other riders is extra double cool. Plus you can get good info on routes, and if something breaks, you know someone in the area who might help.

I have met riders in California (both San Francisco area and LA), and Washington DC, but there are probably nice people in lots of places in the USA who will go riding with you.

Joe