Ride Review: Angel Fire Resort, NM

A friend and i rode the angel fire resort downhill course yesterday in Angel Fire, NM about 25 miles from Taos. If anyone has a chance to check it out this summer go for it. It was some of the best technical downhill i have encountered in my muni career. The mountain is lift served at $12 per ride or $25 per day. You get about 2000’ of vertical over about 2.5 miles. Last year this was one of the courses for the UCI mountain bike world cup. The pro downhill course was a blast. For the unicyclist it amounted to a continuous trials line. All of the trail was rideable but definitely not easy. Several boulder strewn sections and plenty of jumps, rails, and sketchy near vert narrows. I plan on going back as many times before they close on labor day. Check out the trail map for the mountain at:www.angelfireresort.com/pdf/SummerTrailMap.pdf

I hope to be in that area (Cimarron, east of Eagle Nest, NM) in about a month. While I have thought it would be fun to MUni some of the mountain trails, I doubt my MUni skills would get me safely down a ski slope run.

Don’t give up on the idea yet. There is phenomenal single track cross country on the mountain as well. Plenty for novice and insane alike.