Review of my KH 26 + Dualcranks

The KH 26 is the first unicycle I seriously spent money on.
So since it was what you might call a considerable investment,
I did do a lot of considering, both in advance and in hindsight of the purchase.
Here’s the hindsight part.

First impressions:
It looks good, except that it’s blue.
I find it very commendable that the rim really suits the tyre,
with a sideview to the dangerous combinations that can all too often be found on mountainbikes or balloon tyred citybikes…
The angle adjustment for the saddle is appreciated too.
The pedals look good, but when they spin freely they make a sound that I’d describe as “cheap”. This may not be a rational point but this paragraph is called first impressions.
I’ve had a pair of pedals with open-type bearings die of a lack of maintenance (too much play) so actually the sealed disposable bearings emitting that sound are a plus on my list.

The ride:
It is far more responsive a unicycle than my 24 incher with the heavy Duro Wildlife tyre.
The lower inertial momentum is very positively noticable.

The Freeride seat is still the most comfortable one I’ve ever ridden,
but this comes from someone who hasn’t compared many.

Dualcranks:
I chose to upgrade to dualcranks 150/125, although the shorter length should be rather useless for brakeless muniing, especially on my hilly tracks.
But it would just seem a waste not to spend the few extra Euros for the 2nd pair of holes, like building a bicycle front wheel without a hub dynamo.

As this machine is used for muniing, the pair of threads that are not in use get dirty.
So, to prevent this from happening, I had to carve some plugs.
I used the polymer foam from those ersatz corks for whine bottles.

Height adjustment:
Twisting of the saddle is a nuisance.
A centering line would be very helpful. Or even better, something that makes twisting of the saddle tube impossible in the first place.
Catrike, the makers of recumbent tricycles, solved the exact same issue very neatly on their telescopic “bottom bracket” mast (which is rather a front bracket of course) by means of a lengthwise groove on the tube and a notch on the clamp.

A height scale would be a nice bonus too,
so that for finding the right height(s) (dualcranks, remember)
memorising could take the place of trial and error.

Wheel removal:
Flats happen.
As with all unicycles on the market, I wonder wether it’s really necessary to open four screws in case one happens.
Another little nuisance which makes you think this cannot be too difficult to solve.

Where to put small stuff:
Right now I’m scouting for a saddlebag solution.
The ones sold for bicycles mostly depend on saddle rails which the KH seat doesn’t have.
I think a Klickfix adapter for KH seats would be perfect.
With this system I could swiftly attach the bag to whichever uni I’m using.

Thoughts on summary:
As with my recumbent bike that is also sold as a “premium” product, I feel like I’ve got my hands on a good-quality,
but not completely thought-out product that forces you to do some tinkering and improvising, so you cannot help noticing that it comes from a niche market.
The same goes for my cheap Qu-Axes, but their price makes it easier to overlook the issues there are.
Of course the KH is lighter and more adjustable, which is nice.
Even too adjustable in my opinion, by 1 degree of freedom, but enough of that…

3,1516 out of 5.

Thanks for the review. Interesting ideas in the Dual Cranks and Height Adjustment sections.