Reverse comment

Tonight on my way through the university campus I saw a woman pushing one of those small wheeled fold up bicycles (moultons?).

Focusing on getting the timing spot on I said, ‘that’s a strange looking bike!’.

She looked up and did a double take as I cruised by on my 29-er.

Unicyclists take the offensive in the “stupid comment” war!

At times it is bright…

I have been hooted and shouted while unicycling but I had also such a comments…,‘You are doing great ’ + - 18 y.o. ‘I am praud of you’ ± 50 y.o sprightly gent. ’ You really mustered it’ ± 18 y.o. gent. ‘I wish I could do it’… quite few young ladies…ha!
Hi! Hi! I am far away of being anybody in unicycling I just manage do go on quite flat tarmac turn and (most of the time free mount)
however A PUBLIC is kind at times too :smiley: = it happens the whether is good even in my village.

More likely it was a Brompton. Moulton do (did?) make a folder, but Bromptons are the folder of choice these days. At about £800, they are an easy way to rack up the massive debts which are such a competitive status symbol among students these days.

Retires to safe distance.

Yeah, I think Bromton is right.

One of the guys at juggling has one and he’s very passionate about it. I rode it once and didn’t like the small diameter wheels, though I guess you get used to them.

I have a Brompton, very convenient as it folds down smaller than most unicycles and a pretty good ride considering its foldability.
Although I’ve had a few silly coments riding it like ‘nice bike’ ‘girls bike’ ‘funny looking bike’ and all that sort of nonsense, although when you fold it up in about 15 seconds flat it normally shuts them up.
It does though have sixteen inch wheels which makes me wonder if it is actually legal to ride it on the pavement in the U.K.
If so it would seem strange that I could hack down a busy pavement on my Brompton at 20 MPH (not that I would) but couldn’t technically ride my Pashley Muni down the pavement at 6MPH. If this is the case then it does seem to make a mockery of the law, or maybe this isn’t the case, perhaps someone could clarify this.

I think the 16 inch rule would be applied with discretion. That is, something clearly sold as an adult vehicle, and used as such, would not be able to ‘hide behind’ a law which was drafted before 16 inch wheeled adult bicycles were envisaged.

You can still be arrested for ‘furious riding’, obstruction, behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace, or even assault (which does not require physical contact - just a degree of intimidation).

On the other hand, the Police have other priorities, and anyone riding any bicycle sensibly and courteously on the pavement is usually likely to get away with it, or get no more than a warning. Indeed, in some areas, public safety is increased by keeping cyclists away from the faster traffic flow.

When considering English Law, we should bear in mind that it is technically illegal to take someone’s car without their consent, drive it like a lunatic, then set fire to it in a lay by - but no one has been arrested for this since about 1990.

Re: Reverse comment

Mikefule <Mikefule@noemail.message.poster.at.unicyclist.com> wrote:

> When considering English Law, we should bear in mind that it is
> technically illegal to take someone’s car without their consent, drive
> it like a lunatic, then set fire to it in a lay by - but no one has been
> arrested for this since about 1990.

Isn’t it strange how its also allowable to defend yourself agaist a
charge of vehicle theft by saying that you beleived the owner would have
given you permission to drive away thier vehicle IF you HAd asked
tham. Even tho you didn’t ask them.

Werid

Sarah

I think the idea is that you can use it as a defense, but only if it makes sense, otherwise they can just ignore it. Something to do with the way the law is worded. I could be wrong, I only did AS level law, and my experience of stealing cars is a bit limited too.

John

Bromptons are ace. You can make them start folding automatically if you pull on the front brake and push hard on the handlebars to lift up the back wheel.

Joe

i’d hate to think what U could do on a segway…

:wink:

Maybe it’s different in New Zealand, but you should read Rowan’s Story.

Fine 20 quid for riding on pavement

Riding bike on pavement

Just doing this could cost you £20 from 1 August

Cyclists who ride on pavements will face a £20 fixed penalty notice from Sunday 1 August 2003.
Although it has been illegal to cycle on the pavements since 1835 it has always been a difficult law to enforce.

Offenders had to be arrested and prosecuted in the courts and this often wasted valuable police time.

The BBC’s Tim Hirsch: “Lobbyists say fines are not the answer”
This new amendment means that any cyclists caught riding on pavements, over the age of 16, can immediately be issued with a fine. They have 28 days to pay up.

The move has been welcomed by road safety organisations, but has provoked outrage from cyclists.

‘Lycra louts’

The Pedestrians’ Association, says it gets more letters about pavement cyclists than on any other subject.

Re: Fine 20 quid for riding on pavement

Wonder what this means for 28/29/cokers on the pavements?

Re: Re: Fine 20 quid for riding on pavement

10 pounds?
:wink:

Re: Reverse comment

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 03:19:03 -0600, joemarshall wrote:

>Bromptons are ace. You can make them start folding automatically if you
>pull on the front brake and push hard on the handlebars to lift up the
>back wheel.

I can see the case for that. In an emergency stop, the bike will
handily fold away. :slight_smile:

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

I have a feeling you might need two points of contact with the ground for such a thing to work? Or at least training wheels on the front and rear. - John Foss commenting on a picture of a one-wheeled vehicle he saw on RSU.