Return, Across Slovakia and Questions

Hey all,

It’s been a long time since I’ve been on these forums. Maybe some of you remember me. When I was last here I was living in Western New York and unicycling every day on my 24" Torker XL, which I tweaked and upgraded as much as possible. That was up to the end of the summer of 2005. After that I moved to the Czech Republic, to Prague, and have been living here teaching English ever since. I haven’t unicycled since as well (besides a few little spins I’ve taken when I’ve met a unicyclist here on the road…happened twice…and when I was home in the States for Christmases and the summer). I didn’t bring my unicycle because I was trying to travel light.

Anyways, after acquiring two bicycles for a really cheap price and working on them, I started really thinking about unicycling again. I mean, it’s been on my mind constantly, like it used to be. I want to get back into it and moreso I’ve got the crazy idea to unicycle across Slovakia, perhaps as early as this summer. Now, I need a unicycle.

I’m not sure what to do and what you all would suggest. I could have my Torker sent over here, but it’s going to cost me at least $80. It’s only a 24" though and I think my main occupation will be riding distances. Money is a major limiting factor here. English teachers in Prague make pretty poor money comparatively, about the equivalent of a fry cook in America, maybe a little more. Despite this, I have some money saved and have been looking at unicycle.com’s German page. I was thinking about the 89 Euro 26" Qu-ax “Standard”. This would be fine for my wallet, but something in my gut tells me it wouldn’t be adequate. I was also considering (pining for) the 29" Nimbus Tour Unicycle, clocking in at 249 Euro…considerably more and out of my range unless I did some serious pinching. I can’t seem to find anything in between these two.

What do you all think? If I’m planning on attempting some serious distances, should I go for it and spend the big bucks or is that 26" Qu-ax decent enough to get me through, especially if I get some shorter cranks for it? I’d really like to go the cheaper route if you all advise it, but I’ll listen if you advise against it.

I’m looking forward to getting back into this world. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Justin

p.s. On a 26" or 29" wheel would I be able to keep up with a bike that is going a moderate speed? My girlfriend thinks we won’t be able to ride together if I get a unicycle and I keep telling her we will…I remember how fast I could go on my 24" with short cranks.

if you really want to get into distance, this wouldn’t be too bad to buy, even if you have to save a while. other than that, you could just buy the 26 and get shorter cranks, which wouldn’t be too bad of a compromise.

Yeah, I know the 36" would really be the way to go for distance, but I’ve also got to take size into consideration because someday in the not too distant future I’ll have to try to get the thing on an airplane back to America as well. So that rules out the Coker.

You think a 26" with shorter cranks would suffice? The Qu-ax is a relatively decent uni? I was learning to do some muni when I last was riding too. Could I take that Qu-ax into the forest? I’m a pretty big guy, 6’2" and about 225 lbs.