Requesting Hi-Rez photo of Karl on the ridge

I would like to have a full resolution photo of Karl Thompson out on the precipice on Porcupine Ridge and permission to use it as a background. My favorites so far are Tom Holub’s shot followed by John Foss’ as a close second. I like the views that show alot of the canyon to the right.

Thanks. A link in this thread or a pm or e-mail to harper-at-unicyclist would be peachy.

Re: Requesting Hi-Rez photo of Karl on the ridge

Ya, Right. I forsee some “Green Monkey Magic” and the next thing you know it will be Harper out on the precipice on Porcupine Ridge.

Big H,

Coincidentally, I’m in the middle of working on a big-high-res panorama, pasting together some of my own shots of the canyon with other people’s shots of Karl.

Surprisingly, I think it will work out pretty well, with a lot of Photoshop voodoo. It’s kind of a still-panorama version of a shot from the video.

Since I scanned my shots of the canyon myself, the part of the picture with Karl is the lowest-res part, so if anybody is sending high-res versions to Mr. Harper, please send them on to me too (nbrazzi@unicyclist.com).

I’m doing the panorama so I can have a print made - but I’ll post it up here when I’m done.

Oooohhh, BETTER!!

Well, factually, I’m not sure how much better it is. This is the cleanest I could get it.

I can’t believe I didn’t get a shot of Karl on the cliff with my still Cam (I got some nice stuff on video, don’t worry) - but I just got the canyon on my still camera.

I wish I could have pasted in John Foss’s shot, since it was the highest res, but it ended up that Ed Hansen’s shot matched better, but it was the lowest res. So if you look real close, you can see the photoshop trickery around that part of the pic. You can also pretty easily see where the four pics are pasted together.

Anyway, whoever is interested can see it here:

I can provide a version at twice that resolution if you want it, but its a 15mb JPG or a 40mb PSD.

Maybe I’ll take another pass at this later to see if I can do a better one. Either way, I’m going to have a print made of this and I’ll see how nice it is.

I don’t know what sort of software is freely available for download, but I know that there are packages designed to do exactly what you’re wanting [the stitching together of pictures into a panoramic shot] in an automated fashion.

I have a friend who did exactly that sort of thing in preparation for those “360 degree view panorama” plugins, for some real-estate friends of his. He was working significantly lower-res than what you’re looking for, but if you can find something, it’d probably handle the size that you’re looking at.

I don’t know whether that’ll help at all, hehe :slight_smile:

oh well,
John M

I’ve heard of these packages - I think they are essential for Quicktime VR clips.

I think I’ll stick with Photoshop because

A) I dig the challenge, and I need to keep learning.

1. With the programs you mention, I think its pretty essential that you shoot all the pics in succession, on a tripod, carefully accounting for your end product. These shots were taken by completely different cameras with no plan to make a panorama shot. If I go back to Moab next year, that will be on my list along with getting that time-lapse sunrise done properly.

In article <harper.lgehn@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
harper <harper.lgehn@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)I would like to have a full resolution photo of Karl Thompson out on the
)precipice on Porcupine Ridge and permission to use it as a background.
)My favorites so far are Tom Holub’s shot followed by John Foss’ as a
)close second. I like the views that show alot of the canyon to the
)right.

<http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albun59>

Slightly cropped and cleaned up in Photoshop–unfortunately I don’t have
enough resolution to really resolve Karl’s details but I was able to apply
some brightness and sharpness to make him come out a little better.

We were at almost 7000 feet elevation at that point on the trail. Moab
is at about 4000 feet, which might give you an idea of just how far down
the valley floor is. That’s nearing Grand Canyon territory.
-Tom

Re: Re: Requesting Hi-Rez photo of Karl on the ridge

This is Photoshop so it is perfectly acceptable to take one of the photos of Karl that is in better focus and shows Karl in better detail and just plop him on the ridge in your photo. That would get us thrown out of the photo journalism news corps, but we’re just unicyclists. We all know Karl was there and what he did so we’re not altering reality.

This feels like my computer ethics class 5 years ago. :slight_smile:

Re: Re: Re: Requesting Hi-Rez photo of Karl on the ridge

Going one step further, we could take a picture of Karl and make it look like he was jumping off the rock…

That would make a cool T-shirt.

Tom,

That’s the juice there. I think I could match that into a panorama much better. Of course I won’t know until I go back to work on wednesday…

Is that the full resolution file, Tom? Did you take web size (480x640) files? I was hoping that it was reduced and you had a 960x1280 or larger (finer).

In article <harper.li42b@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
harper <harper.li42b@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)Tom Holub wrote:
)>
)> Slightly cropped and cleaned up in Photoshop–unfortunately I don’t
)> have enough resolution to really resolve Karl’s details but I was able
)> to apply some brightness and sharpness to make him come out a little
)> better.
)>
)>
)
)
)Is that the full resolution file, Tom? Did you take web size (480x640)
)files? I was hoping that it was reduced and you had a 960x1280 or larger
)(finer).

Click through twice–the full image is almost 1800x2400.
-Tom

In article <john_childs.lhxtb@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
john_childs <john_childs.lhxtb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)Tom Holub wrote:
)> *<http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albun59>
)>
)> Slightly cropped and cleaned up in Photoshop–unfortunately I don’t
)> have enough resolution to really resolve Karl’s details but I was able
)> to apply some brightness and sharpness to make him come out a little
)> better.
)> *
)
)This is Photoshop so it is perfectly acceptable to take one of the
)photos of Karl that is in better focus and shows Karl in better detail
)and just plop him on the ridge in your photo. That would get us thrown
)out of the photo journalism news corps, but we’re just unicyclists. We
)all know Karl was there and what he did so we’re not altering reality.

Oh, I have no qualms about that–I’ve alredy cloned out Keith’s back
and someone’s helmet. Though I just noticed someone’s foot is still
in the foreground.

The only thing is, I think it would be difficult to bring in Karl from
another photograph, taken at another angle, and have it look convincing
spliced into my photo. But anyone’s welcome to try.
-Tom

Yes, that’s perfect. Thanks heaps.

I took a whole bunch of pictures of Karl up there, both landscape and portrait. I just haven’t had time yet to do anything with the rest of them. I also have a number of pictures looking out into the canyon.

My camera shoots 2240 x 1680 (many of the Moab pix I uploaded were cropped). If somebody wants a spedific copy of something, please send me a personal email.

My camera also does Quicktime panoramas, a feature I’ve only used once. What am I supposed to do with a Quicktime animation when I want a wide photograph?? Also, lining up the images per the camera’s instructions requires being able to see the image on the LCD display, which in general does not work in daylight (even with a special shade I bought).

Alright, here are the best panoramas I could cook up. These are constructed from phots I took of the canyon and Tom Holub’s hi-res digital shot of Karl.

Turns out getting the sky to match is the only thing I’m not satisfied with.

Anyway, here are two versions, one goes wider than the other. I was playing around with both, trying to decide which would be better for a print. If anybody wants the super-hi-resolution version of either of these, let me know.

Could someone please make a poster of that? I would really like to buy one.

Ken

You’re a genious Nick, those photos are unbelievable!

Andrew

There are loads of places that will make you up posters from digital images.

In the UK there’s http://www.photobox.co.uk
In the US, there’s photoisland and various other ones.

There’s sure to be somewhere that does it near you.

Joe