Reporting in

This seems to happen every winter, and it isn’t deliberate: the riding stops and I drop out of the forum.

I hurt my rib more badly than I thought in my fall in the “Stunned in the Desert” ride a couple of months back. I’ve had to stop everything - riding, going to the gym, even the Morris dancing has taken a back seat. The rib’s about 95% better now, and only hurts when I cough - which leads me on to the next thing: for the first time in months. I have had to take time of work today because of a chest infection.

One or two of the regular forumisti have kept in touch with me by PM, and I have enjoyed reading some of the ride write ups. It never fails to amaze me what some of you peopole can achieve compared to my own lowly standard of riding.

Here’s hoping to be back in the saddle early in the new year, and writing again. Happy Christmas to those of you I haven’t already said it to, and happy new year to you all.

Mike

Merry Christmas Mike! Here’s your rib back.

~God

In all seriousness, though, best of luck with your rib injury. Hope all the bad stuff clears up soon so you can go back to unicycling, Morris dancing, and insurance-ing. Have a good New Year’s.

-Alex

Rib injuries are very painful.
I bruised mine a few months ago and it hurt to breath, move, cough (sneezing was right out!), turn, type, tie shoelaces, use a knife and fork, drive, sleep and basically do anything that you take for granted when you are fit.
Get well and have a good New Year.

Unfortunately I’ve broken ribs on both sides. My recommendation for keep your lungs happy is to constantly take deep breaths even though it might hurt. :astonished:
As long as you don’t have a fracture a nice short cruise would exercise the lungs pretty well too.

I hope your back to having fun on ONE a.s.a.p!!

Just One Wheel

Yuck! Chest infections are horrid. I remeber being unwell last Christmas (unfortunately I was on Annual Leave though) and dramatically coughing up blood. (It wasn’t anything serious though). I couldn’t eat my crimbo dinner and Jim had cooked a goose just for me. :frowning:

I think, in general, people underestimate how long it takes for the body to heal (so you all be careful out there).

I hope you get back to usual as soon as poss. (And get back to the riding and the writing cos we miss you. Well I do anyway)

I’m glad the regulars do check in here periodically. Good to hear from you and I look forward to more of your write ups in the future. Just be sure to let yourself heal well. I’ve been plagued with resperitory ‘events’ throughout my life, usually in the winter. Never any fun. I have found that I’ve managed to skip a few winter infections as I’ve aged. Maybe the second hand smoke damage is finally dissipating (my parents smoked when I was young).

“Lord, I have a problem.”

“What’s the problem, Adam?”, God replies.

“Lord, I know you created me and have provided for me and surrounded me with this beautiful garden and all of these wonderful animals, but I’m just not happy”

“Why is that, Adam?”, comes the reply from the heavens.

“Lord, I know you created this place for me, with all this lovely food and all of the beautiful animals, but I am lonely.”

“Well Adam, in that case I have the perfect solution. I shall create a ‘woman’ for you.”

“What’s a ‘woman’, Lord?”

“This ‘woman’ will be the most intelligent, sensitive, caring, and beautiful creature I have ever created. She will be so intelligent that she can figure out what you want before you want it. She will be so sensitive and caring that she will know your every mood and how to make you happy. Her beauty will rival that of the heavens and earth. She will unquestioningly care for your every need and desire. She will be the perfect companion for you.”, replies the heavenly voice.

“Sounds great.”

“She will be, but this is going to cost you, Adam.”

“How much will this ‘woman’ cost me Lord?”, Adam replies.

“She’ll cost you your right arm, your right leg, an eye, an ear, and your left testicle.”

Adam ponders this for some time, with a look of deep thought and concern on his face. Finally Adam says to God:

“Ehhh, what can I get for a rib?”

that was a good one. I haven’t heard that one before.:smiley: