Removing Trials Tires

Umm, because there are a lot of people who think a trials tire, specially one on a DX32 rim, is just as simple as a regular bike tire that you can easily manage getting off with your hands.

Then they go and try to take off their trials tire and get very frustrated because its not coming off no matter how hard they try.

Ive even heard people who work at bike shops say that getting some trials tires off trials rims can almost be compared to getting a motocross tire off.

This guide is for those people.

There is a secret to making it easier to remove a difficult tire from the rim. The secret is to move the bead of the tire into the valley of the rim to create slack on the opposite side of the tire (180 degrees away). The problem with many of the trials rims is that they are flat inside and don’t have much of a valley. So there isn’t as much room to make slack as on other rims.

Here’s two descriptions of the technique. Pictures would help, but I don’t have any drawn up. Hopefully the text is sufficient to explain the secret and the technique.

From G Sport BMX:

From Sheldon Brown:

It also depends on the particular tire. Some tires are tighter than others. I broke a standard plastic tire lever (the kind that come in packs of three with a hook on the end to hook on the spokes) trying to get a trials tire off a DX32 rim. It was a tight tire. Other trials tires aren’t so tight. I usually use stronger tire levers, but don’t always have those on hand. Don’t be surprised if you run into a tire and rim combination that is especially difficult. They’re out there.

I find the DX32 with a CC to be that hardest tire and rim combo to take apart. =p

with a luna it is way harder

i have done both and the cc needs metal tire irons, the luna needs motorcycle tire irons (probably possible with regular but…)

Not for me. Ive never taken my tire off but i got it on by hand with little or no help by others. and so im hoping that it comes off relatively easier.

Put it in the sun

“There is a secret to making it easier to remove a difficult tire from the rim. The secret is to move the bead of the tire into the valley of the rim to create slack on the opposite side of the tire (180 degrees away). The problem with many of the trials rims is that they are flat inside and don’t have much of a valley. So there isn’t as much room to make slack as on other rims.” – J Childs
That is so correct. I have worked on dirt bikes for 30 years. Swapping tires on a 5.10 x 17 rear knobby is a pain no matter how it’s done, and impossible if the “bead” which is a steel cable that runs around inner section of the tire, is not in the center of the rim opposite of side you are trying to pry off.
The other tip I haven’t seen here is to put the tires in the sun. The hotter the tires the easier the job.

my tip just from today…

this was on a try-all rim and tyre 19" in order to put it back in, but its probably a good idea in order to take it off as well. All i did was get some vaseline and put it on the edge of the rim (just on the last part when it gets real hard.

Once theres a tiny bit of vaseline, just try push it all the way onto the rim. Damn its so easy !

I need to get a metal remover tool lol, I’ve broken several nylon ones

Did you even read through this thoroughly?

Obviously stated before, rims from Kh, Koxx, and others have a groove in them, making the tire easy come on and off with minimum effort. The bead can go deeper in this groove giving the extra distance to easily lift the tire over the rim.

Mainly the troubles people have are with the Alex DX32 rim, and all other rims where the rim structure is like a box.

Can be quite frustrating for a lot of riders out there thinking its like every bike tire they have ever had to change.

You should make a video tutorial. :slight_smile:

Handy Tire Removal Tip Works Everytime

yes well i found trials tires to be bear on impossible to get off, but thing i do now, and it works a charm every time is put a bit of lube/super lube/vasaline ne thing really on the lip/top of the rim and useing tire leevers it slides off with ease and the same when putting it back on ! Hope this helps “!”:slight_smile:

Doesn’t that make your tire bead move when you do lots of drops and such… mine already squeaks when I gap too far.

Anyone reccomend a good pair of tire levers?