Remember Me?

Hey everybody, Remember me? I havent posted in a while, and ive become much more of a lurker, but the time has come to stop lurking. I stopped pretty much, and then a couple weeks ago i took my onza to work, and after doing some drops and gashing my legs open again, I realized I had forgotten just how fun unicycling can be.

On another note, the reason I am posting is because my muni,( A yuni muni with regular 175 cranks) the uni cranks keep coming loose. No matter how many times i screw them in or bang them with a hammer, within a few minutes they are loose again. I dont want to use Loctite, unless I really have to so does anyone have any ideas so I can get back on the trails ASAP?

Re: Remember Me?

hmmm I don’t think thats going to be doing them much good…

sorry if that was vague, what I meant by that is get a malet and a piece of wood then put the wood over the crank and use the malet to hit it on farther so u can screw it on tighter

Just lube the spindle and cranks and also the thread of the nut/bolt and tightened her up!

I find that lubing the spindle with vasaline and hammering on, works fine with my muni (a nimbus/yuni with 150 mm cranks)

The lube enables the crank to go further onto the spindle.

I think it’s important to carry a bolt wrench on all rides for at least a few days after though, just in case they do come losose, as riding with a loose crank can wreck the uni.

That’s sound advice, ride a bit, check them if necessary tighten. They should be on firmly after a couple days.

Hey Scott,
Glad to see that riding again. I would imagine that being as your cranks won’t stay tight, regardless of what you do, that the square tapers have become wallowed out. I’d try some of the suggestions listed above, but more than likely, you’re going to have to replace the cranks pretty soon. I’m looking forward to riding with ya’ again when you get a chance.

Scott, good to see you back on the forum! I got your email this morning. Like Kenny said, you are going to have to replace the cranks because they ran loose too long. I have some bike 175’s with the spider removed that I can give you if you can’t buy new cranks right away. And I imagine yours are actually 170’s. If you come to my shop we can put the cranks on before we go ride. Looks like we may get rained out this week though.
I am looking forward to finally riding with you again.

Scott

Re: Remember Me?

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 23:29:29 -0500, “Scott Stephens” wrote:

>Hey everybody, Remember me?
Sure do. I’m an old dog on this forum by most standards.

>On another note, the reason I am posting is because my muni,( A yuni
>muni with regular 175 cranks) the uni cranks keep coming loose. No
>matter how many times i screw them in or bang them with a hammer, within
>a few minutes they are loose again. I dont want to use Loctite, unless
>I really have to so does anyone have any ideas so I can get back on the
>trails ASAP?
You probably need new cranks. And never bang hard on cranks with a
hammer, wood in between or not. That’s going to cause microcracks in
the corners of the square hole which then are going to widen and
propagate when you put force on them through riding. With your new
cranks, put grease on the square tapers and on the crank nut thread.
Use a hammer only, if desired, to GENTLY tap the crank onto the taper

• usually even this is not needed. Then ‘slowly’ tighten the nuts -
    ideally to a torque of 40 lb.ft I think (which is quite tight) but
    don’t take my word for it. On your first few rides, carry a wrench and
    check the nuts from time to time, again ideally to 40 lb.ft. Be alert
    to loose cranks during the ride and fix immediately.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe