Refused Entry on the BHF London to Brighton

Although I’m not going to be doing it I also vote for the same day - perhaps don’t start from the start line (or start slightly earlier) but do the same route at the pretty much the same time, they can’t exactly stop you - it’s not illegal or anything.

As I stated previously, the date would be based around riders availability. Considering Roger and i came up with the alternative L2B, I think it’s only right and proper that we are both on it.

My reasoning is as follows:

1.) Roger is not available! - (Mountain Mayhem - with 7 other unicyclists, some of whom may be up for our ride).

2.) I think numbers of uni riders is more important in making the point that ‘WE ARE HERE’, rather than one or two uni’s jumping in on the BHF ride.

3.) I think we would get more press doing it on a diffrent day, otherwise it might be a few seconds of covarage sqaushed in between, or at the end of the news segment for the cyclists doing the official L2B.

4.) Transport back - trains / coaches will be full and accommodation in Brighton (for those who want this option) may be difficult to find.

5.) On a personal note, having opened a dialogue with the BHF regarding the admittance of Unicycles on their ride, and been refused entry, I do not feel that I want to go against their wishes. My hope is that they will eventually come around to the idea, and may relise that unicyclists tend to have a rather well developed sense of balance and do not wobble around, that we can do the distance and the hills (some of us!), and that the fund-raising they are missing out on by excluding us not only pays their wages, but also saves lives.

6.) We could make it an annual event.

Geoff Bond (Monocyclism) . . . I fully understand your position and take no offence if you choose to drop out of the proposed alternative L2B. Just take your name off the list and repost it - your will be missed (liked the age range we were getting).

Obviously we need a confirmed date for the ride asap, and I am working it right now.

The list so far - - -

1.) Tom F (One Wheel Good)
2.) Roger Davies (OKish rider)
3.) Sam Wakeling (redwelly)
4.) Paul Royle
5.) Jam S (jam96)
6.) Geoff Bond (Monocyclism)
7.) Steve Colligan
8.) Sam Goodburn

P.s. Would be good to get some women distance riders on it - anyone know of any? Also unicyclists from other counties are most welcome.

hey guys im deffiently up for it (Ben Glynn)

Good to have you down on the list Ben :sunglasses: .

The list so far - - -

4.) Paul Royle
5.) Jam S (jam96)
7.) Steve Colligan
8.) Sam Goodburn
9.) Ben Glynn (stingingkneeben)

MMM, things are certainly gaining momentum in this thread.

Having been “there, done that” I thought I’d throw in a few perls of wisdom, having gone against the BHF’s wishes and “done it anyway”

I think what it boils down to the perception of the organisers that a unicycle is a cricus toy and not a long distance weapon of choice. As many on this forum have proven over the years, that’s not the case - but try and convince people not in the know, and you’ll have a hard time.

If you are a confident rider of a large(ish) wheel (36" or 29" say) and distance is no problem, you’ll be fine, and IMHO no way a danger to the rest of the ride.

The problem the L2B faces is, many people who are not used to riding a bicycle any kind of distance take part, inexperienced cyclists from all walks of life. Invariably this ends in a accident or two - having riden the ride no 4 or 5 times (not all unicycle!) I’ve seen a few. Adding a unicycle into the mix is always going to raise additional concerns.

As a large group, you may benefit from “safety in numbers” but you’ll have to be sensible about riding style - i.e three abreast isn’t going to work on the sttep uphill/downhill sections.

Last but not least - what’s the likelihood of 7 or 8 riders staying together? Look at any of the historical long distance rides (http://www.unitours.org/) even if all the riders start out even matched, there’s bound to be a few stronger ones and you’re likely to stick at your own pace (matching other’s can be hard). What I’m saying here, especially as part of a big ride with 1000’s of bikes you’re likely to split up. (Mat had to wait for me often!) So it won’t matter if you’re a big group or not.

What I’m advocating is the “go for it attitude” / strategy, just because Roger can’t make it shouldn’t stop you. He’d be done before lunch anyway. Go on, do it, raise your £1’s for charity (http://www.justgiving.com/unicycle_l2b)

Another alternative ride is the Solent Cycle Challenge, (http://www.cyclingchallenge.org.uk/) where they actively encourage unicycle entires! @66miles with lots of ferry journeys to break it up, it really is a great ride.

Over & Out.

-Simon

The list so far - - -

4.) Paul Royle
5.) Jam S (jam96)
7.) Steve Colligan
8.) Sam Goodburn
10.) Alan Chambers

I blame a lot of things on my age and this is one of them :o. Now I understand, and I hadn’t fully realised your AL2B was a different event, on a different day. I got it into my head that it was running alongside the ‘official’ event - but an independent effort is great!

Of course the L2B is a standard route for all sorts of transport events - I did it in a Smart car with hundreds of others as part of the owners club run. So yeah it sounds really appealing to have a Unicycling L2B - especially as it promotes the sport.

Geoff

Does that mean you will be joining us Geoff?

possibly another…

I may join you for this. Just need to check there is no vital hockey to be played on the proposed date!

Also, probably should buy a new 36" - my old Coker has been retired to the gentle lanes in South-West France.

Barry, can I put you down on the list for now? - If the date doesn’t suit then no harm done.

Yes put me down…

Alternative London to Brighton ride.

The list so far - - - feel free to add your name.

4.) Paul Royle
5.) Jam S (jam96)
7.) Steve Colligan
8.) Sam Goodburn
10.) Alan Chambers
11.) Barry Gates (barrygates)

I met an old guy near Ravenscourt Park in 1996? who stopped me for a chat when he saw my unicycle.

He said that he and his brother did the London to Brighton ride in the 1950s on unicycles.

Add that to all the others who have done the ride unofficially on unicycles and you would probably have a statiscally low count of unicycles causing accidents on the ride in the last 60 years.

Event insurers don’t like anything that they can’t find statistics for to evaluate a risk.

Leo

Yup, my name stays on the list and I hope to be available on the date to be decided :slight_smile:

I have mentioned this on Facebook today and have several “Media Types” wanting to “Go Nuclear” with this. Unfortunately I’m in Tilburg with Fun Lovin’ Criminals on June 19th. There are several people in kent who I know were going to ride it on one wheel anyway!

I wonder if that could be the same guy who I met on the way to a tournament in Hackney a few months earlier who told me that he and his brother had tried to get some unicycle polo going back in the 50s, but couldn’t find enough unicyclists. Lovely old bloke, must have been well into his 80s.

The list so far - - - feel free to add your name.

4.) Paul Royle
5.) Jam S (jam96)
7.) Steve Colligan
8.) Sam Goodburn
10.) Alan Chambers
11.) Barry Gates (barrygates)

True to his word Simon has pointed me in the direction of this thread. Unusually the information that I received today from the organisers confirming my entry specifically stated that only tandems and bicycles with 2 wheels are permitted (although I was then mildly amused by the picture of a trandem later in the booklet).

There is probably a 70-80% chance of me doing the L2B on one wheel this year anyway. If I do, I will be doing it on the day and will probably roll past the start at about 5:55am just before the official start. The main reason for the early start to to try and get up the hills before the traffic gets bad. A couple of years ago I got cut up by a cyclist on my way up ditchlin beacon, despite everyone around me shouting at her to get out the way. I’d like to make sure that I get up all the hills this year if I do it.

I’ll post a message nearer the date with my decision, if anyone would like to join me you would be more than welcome.

Mat

Possible dates of Uni L2B - Express your preference.

The latest info on Uni L2B:

I’ve been in touch with the Brighton Tourist & Information Office and checked that the possible dates don’t conflict with any other major event that would cause high traffic volume etc.

Saturday 11th June or Sunday 12th June 2011
or -
Saturday 16th July or Sunday 17th July 2011

Could you please post the dates your available and up for the ride so that I can collate them.

Although the June date works well being closer to the BHF ride, and therefore may get better press coverage, I feel strongly that the number of riders that participate is key.

Looking forward to hearing from you all:).

My preference is for Sat 16 July.