Refused Entry on the BHF London to Brighton

I trust that doesn’t include Wales…:frowning: :wink:

I was talking to someone at work the other day who was buying a bike purely to do the London to Brighton, and he seemed amazed and excited that unicyclists could ride it as well. Seems his excitement will be short lived…

Oh well, I will continue to tempt people into buying unicycles instead of the bikes I am employed to sell :D, just wont mention this lol

That guy appears to be wearing a rider number. An official entry?

From the letter, it seems they are concerned that unicycles either won’t be able to make it the distance, or can’t ride hills. If they thought something other, such as being too unstable or slow, they sure did not say it in the letter.

Again, I would have stopped wasting my time with them by this point, and entered events that were more uni-friendly. But if you want to continue pursuing it, I recommend showing them some images from Ride the Lobster, or one of our Unicon 10k races where there are lots of riders in a small space. Meanwhile, I still get the impression that the route is a public thoroughfare and unless it is closed to all other traffic, you are legally not barred from riding it.

Like this? :slight_smile:

Not exactly. The race in that video led to a number of edits to the MUni rules. In that case, it was way too many riders and not enough trail. Only the riders toward the front had a chance of being competitive in that race, while the rest of us merely passed when we could, and waited for people to fall in front of us and put us into pileups.

{Side note: Acknowledgment of the difficulties of setting up such events! The venue wasn’t really conducive to an XC event, but it might have been better to not hold one than to do it like that. There basically wasn’t enough time in the day’s schedule to do the bunch of starting groups that would have been necessary to make it work with such a large amount of riders. Instead, the organizers focused on the events that used the cooler trails at the place, which were excellent.}

Examples should be of road events, with unicyclists going at high speeds (and not crashing). That video is a great one to show a huge number of unicyclists riding together, but it doesn’t work as a good example of unicycle racing.

Yes, I’m sure their assumption is about the slow speed and uncontrolled wobbling, but all they do say is about the distance and hills.

They would do well to note how many very amateur bike riders always enter and fail to complete events like this. There will be hundreds of bikers who find that 50 miles is too much for them and quit along the way. They don’t get barred from entering, or seem to do any harm to other entrants.

From experience of a few Manchester to Blackpool rides, which I expect are pretty similar calibre, there are also plenty of erratic inexperienced bikers who will go painfully slow uphill and weave across the road, posing a modest danger to themselves and others. But everyone deals with that; it’s just part of riding in an event. They don’t/can’t get vetted.

Unfortunately unicyclists are an easy category to identify as potentially (even if this is not true) higher risk. You can’t feasibly identify unsafe bike riders in advance. So capable and responsible unicyclists get labelled as novice clowns until organisers learn better.

Terry’s video of riding a marathon race on his 36er makes great education viewing for those who don’t know distance unicycling:

There’s also this one (in German) of the Dusseldorf Marathon*. Unfortunately it includes a fall (2:18) which doesn’t make it look so great.

Are there more good distance videos (without any falls!)?

Sam

• Plug: The Düsseldorf Marathon is on 8 May this year, and entry is open until 24 April. All countries are welcome! It is a very fast, flat, closed-road course; ideal for racing unicycles!

Hey, I saw this post, and thought it might be a good alternate charity ride option (be sure to reply in their thread or they probably won’t see it).
There’s hope yet for you charity minded brits!

I did not really understand this one from them… was it that we could not do the distance or the hills? Well that is so well documented that we can do the distance and hills that my only conclusion is that she meant that we would embarrass the bikes because we go up the hills so much faster than the bikes do? and cover the distance so much better than the majority of the bikes… All a little bit odd and in my opinion very, very naive… and a bit sad.

Roger

Hey I’ve just been reading through this thread and am disappointed to hear about this!

On a happy note though - I am organising a charity bike ride from Bude to Land’s End along the Cornish Way, starting Saturday 28th, finishing 30th May. It’s called Bikin’ for Boobies and is aid of the breast cancer awareness charity that I run called CoppaFeel!

I am looking to get as many people and as many different types of bike involved as possible so you would all be more than welcome at this event!

If you’re interested, contact me maren@coppafeel.org. More information about the event at http://www.2mevents.com/event/bikin-for-boobies

and the charity at www.coppafeel.org

Maren

Sooooorry about the UPD :wink: Wasnt planned but happened :smiley: (was at km 32 and my only dismount…)

That’s OK - you weren’t the only one! Knut and I maintained recent tradition with a double UPD just before finish. Hopefully we can break that tradition next.

Sam

The BHF’s refusal does seem to stem from a lack of knowledge and understanding.

I’d like to put a list of riders together who would be up for doing a London to Brighton ride, Roger seems keen. Sam (redwelly) it would be great to get you on-board and show the BHF what we (some of us) can do. Obviously I’m not in the same league as you guys, but I’m working at it:).

Please add your name to the list and we can try and find a date that suits as many as possible. ( this is just an informal expression of interest list )

1.) Tom F (One Wheel Good)

2.) Roger Davies (OKish rider)

Yes, that would be great. I don’t get out on the 36er enough at the moment, so would enjoy a group ride. There should be several 36er riders in London who may come?

Sam

3.) Sam Wakeling (redwelly)

I’m not in the UK at the moment, and I’ve not ridden a unicycle in 12 months, but I’m definitely in if I’m in the UK at the time.

I’ll send an email to Alan, Keith and Rich, they’re not on the forums much these days.

Paul

4.) Paul Royle

I’m not sure if I’d be able to get there but I’d be up for it if I can. Any one taken a 36er on a train before?

4.) Paul Royle
5.) Jam S (jam96)

I too was dissapointed two years ago when I entered the L2B on a unicycle and was told no…

That didn’t stop us however, we just did it anyway. We also broke the rules and didn’t got for our allocated start, went for a nice and early 6am start.

Just do it, don’t go through the proper start gate, and after that, who is going to stop you? Go for it!

-Simon

r0msey / Simon … Google images : BHF London to Brighton

1st pg / second row down to the right - - - Is this a pic of you and your friend on top of Ditchling Beacon? 2009 21st June 12:38pm :slight_smile:

Why not put your names down? Be good to get as many as possible.

4.) Paul Royle
5.) Jam S (jam96)

I’m interested. I’ll let you guys decide on a date, and if I’m free I’ll join you.

Steve

Why not put your names down? Be good to get as many as possible.

4.) Paul Royle
5.) Jam S (jam96)
6.) Geoff Bond (Monocyclism)
7.) Steve Colligan