redshift

Hey Harper, is there gonna be a version of Blueshift for muni which gears in the other direction for hills?

I imagine so. Except it would only work when you are leaving.

BAHAHA i bet hes tellin you to make like a tree eh!?

There was a guy who expressed an interest in gearing down a Coker to a 24" effective diameter and putting long cranks on it. The belief was that you could roll over literally anything. I thought it was kind of a cool idea but never pursued it. How hard could it be?

Technically possible. But I don’t know how you could make a uni.5 style hub, that’s either geared up or geared down, that is strong enough for muni. There are lots of little dowel pins and other little parts that would just shear off under the force of muni use.

Internally geared bicycle hubs, like the Rohloff Speedhub, are limited in how low they can be geared because the hub can only take so much torque. Rohloff limits how small of the chainring and how large of a cog combo they will allow for use with the the hub because too low of a gearing will put too much torque on the hub. A muni would put very large torques on an internally geared hub and building a geared hub that can take that much torque would be difficult or impossible.

Re: redshift

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:27:27 -0600, harper wrote:

>There was a guy who expressed an interest in gearing down a Coker to a
>24" effective diameter and putting long cranks on it. The belief was
>that you could roll over literally anything. I thought it was kind of a
>cool idea but never pursued it. How hard could it be?

I think that guy was me. I now think that the agility (low rotational
inertia around (x,) y and z axes) of a geared-down Coker would be much
worse than that of a regular uni. This disadvantage might outweigh the
benefit of better rolloverability. But an optionally geared-down 24 x
3 for steep sections… maybe?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“Heck, even my toes were aching from trying to grip the soles of my shoes! - Tommy Thompson”