Recommendations for 29" tire for road/pavement/street

Well, this thread is getting nice and relevant for me! I’ve been spinning my new shiny G29er build with a Nimbus Dominator2 rim, and am considering what to get rubber-wise. I’m at the moment running my Halo Twin Rail from my old 29er, and while it’s fine, it’s incredibly worn already and is quite heavy (not helped by the fact that I had to put an extra kevlar liner in it because it started puncturing a bit too much!)

So what’s the consensus on this these days? That Maxxis tyre looks great, but I’m a little scared of the BA 2.0 exploding on my Dominator rim (I run ridiculously high pressures, dunno why I just like the feel).

I sort of like the idea of the Hookworm 29er, although 2.5 wide seems ridiculous to me it might make for an interesting ride at speed :smiley:

I had overlooked your post until this thread resurfaced today.

It is definitely odd that nobody else seems to have tried the Torch. Or the DTH on the smaller wheels. Or for that matter a Hookworm on a 20 inch, which is the only size where they do work well for me.

My rim is 38 mm. No drillings. I have never run the Torch above 55 psi. Much less than this and the sidewalls buckle a bit on steep climbs under my 80 kg weight. But it doesn’t need the extreme pressure to counter the camber issues experienced with the likes of the Hookworm.

I doubt that the Torch would be safe on a 47 mm rim because of the combination of two factors. Firstly because it would be below the usually recommended 1.4: 1 minimum tyre to rim ratio. Secondly the tyre has a very minimalist carcass so it relies heavily on the rim to maintain its integrity. Mine is a wire bead. I suspect the foldable bead would be even more marginal.

BTW I have had severe tinnitus for over ten years from singing in a band while I had some kind of middle ear problem. Definitely recommend avoiding it.

Oh, nice thread I could hijack. I was looking for some roadish 29+ tire. Have you seen anything about 29x3.0 size that is more road oriented? I have Schwalbe Super Moto 27.5x2.8 on my 27.5 uni currently and it’s nice to have wide and big road tire as well. I see some 29+ offroad options for me, but I would need a road option before I go and try 29".

I’m not sure about a 29x3, Surly do a 29x2.5 Extraterrestrial that’s sort of a touring bike type tread (and there’s also the Hookworm mentioned earlier that’s a 29x2.5).

I’m fairly sure Vee Rubber do a 29x3 Speedster which is more of a BMX inverted tread type thing, so that’d probably work. No idea where you’d actually get ome from though :smiley:

There’s a similar thread in the “product review” section of the forum, check it out.

I ran the Hookworm 29 for a short while. It’s way too heavy to be pleasant, and I found it awful on road camber. I’m currently on a Scwhalbe Big One and I like it a lot.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at Hookworm, but I was afraid of the weight. Big One seems to small to switch from my current 27.5x2.8.
But Speedster looks nice https://www.veetireco.com/listings/plus-size-speedster/ and a place to buy it Vee Tire Co. Speedster 27.5 x 2.8” or 29 x 2.8” Tire now I need to look if it is available on this side of the pond.

KH29 with 55mm rim

I am also looking for a road tyre for my KH29, but it is a later model running the 55mm rim and a Duro Crux 3.25" tyre. Finding a suitable road tyre is near impossible.

The Hookworm at 2.5" wide is the widest road tyre I’ve found. But how well would a 2.5" tyre fit a 55mm rim ?

Suggestions and ideas would be very much appreciated!

It’s not the only one! But it’s a rare width. Surly offers the ExtraTerrestrial in 29"/2.5 and it’s an interesting all-rounder. With the rather stiff sides, it can be used off road with little air inside. And pumped hard, it’s happy on the road. It’s aimed at road tourers actually.
I have one on my 29" and I really like it. It’s way lighter than the Hookworm I had for a while. But I’m running it from a 30mm narrow rim, so I don’t quite know how it would behave in a 55. If you find it on their website, there’s plenty info on what rim etc.

If you want a wider road style tire how about Vee Tire Co.’s “Plus Size Speedster”. They have them as both 2.8” and 3.0” for 29ers.

https://www.veetireco.com/listings/plus-size-speedster/

FWIW, I have never actually tried Vee Speedsters but I looked at and considered them when I was looking for bigger tyres for my 26" (they also make 26X2.8, which is actually the same diameter as the Duro Beach Bum that I purchased).

I use a 26 Vee tire speedster for my Huni-rex and it is a must have road tire.

On my KH 29 I use a “BTW ranger TCS light fast rolling” 29x3 at no more than 900g… it is a great XC and I use it mainly on road (I’m no good at Muni, but I’ll learn)

Thanks for the post and the tyre suggestion, I checked their website:

https://surlybikes.com/parts/tires/extraterrestrial_29_x_2.5

It states will fit rims of 19-50mm external width. So close!

55mm on the KH29 is really wide, and all the MTB sites talk about putting wide tyres on narrow rims, not wide rims on smaller tyres :frowning:

Perhaps the KH factory has some insights.

Thanks for the post and the tyre suggestion, I checked their website:

https://surlybikes.com/parts/tires/extraterrestrial_29_x_2.5

It states will fit rims of 19-50mm external width. So close!

55mm on the KH29 is really wide, and all the MTB sites talk about putting wide tyres on narrow rims, not wide rims on smaller tyres :frowning:

Perhaps the KH factory has some insights.

Thanks for the tyre suggestion, can’t find these locally so would have to import, but it does looks the best option for road use. I know what you mean about muni, one day I’ll do more but for now it’s mostly pavement.