rec.sport.unicycling

here is how all newsgroups work. First you have your highest level. In this case, it is recreation (REC). From there you have sub groups, in this case, sport and then sub sub groups, in this case unicycling. Here is another example: comp.sys.mac.apps.

AndyC strikes again!

The unicycling discussion forum has evolved over the years. It started as a mailing list. Then a Usenet newsgroup (rec.sport.unicycling) was created. The mailing list and newsgroup were tied together through a gateway so that posts to the mailing list would be forwarded to the newsgroup, and vice versa. Then Gilby added the web based forum at unicyclist.com. The rec.sport.unicycling forum here ties in with the Usenet rec.sport.unicycling group. Messages posted at Unicyclist.com get forwarded to the Usenet newsgroup and also to the mailing list, and vice versa. People still read and post to the Usenet newsgroup, but it happens that 99% of the posts now are from the Unicyclist.com forum.

A basic description of newsgroups is here (Wikipedia). Newsgroup names are hierarchical, so the name rec.sport.unicycling means that the newsgroup is in the main REC (for recreation) group, further divided into the SPORT hierarchy, and finally UNICYCLING.

So there you have it. We’re still posting to Usenet here at Unicyclist.com even though it doesn’t look like it.

Apart from Klaas? :wink:

hey nice avatar :sunglasses:

thanx again!!

:frowning: Nou dat gaat me weer net een beetje te ver!
What was that all about?
I’ve got my answer, the only thing I wanted to know was the meaning of rec.sport.unicycling. And didn’t mean to get all those “heavy” conclusions of why and whynot this had evolved to this actual situation/state.

so unicycist.com is just another convenient siteto read rsu? gilby has nothing todo with the creation or anything?

Gilby did not create rec.sport.unicycling, or the mailing list that came before that. But he did create the Unicyclist.com community, and all the other forums besides rec.sport.unicycling.

Also he did not create unicycling.org, but its original creator, Beirne Konarski (who also did not create the newsgroup/mailing list) turned it over to him some years ago.

ohhhh!

hey, so if you went to a diff. website to read/post in rsu, could someone like chuck norris or someone like that post? since there only blocked from unicyclist.com?

Well you did ask for the exact meaning of rec.sport.unicycling :wink:
Learning a little history about the community is a good thing.

Re: rec.sport.unicycling

gkmac wrote:

>
> Does anyone still use USENET?
>

Yeah. And what about it?

Gardner Buchanan gbuchana(a)teksavvy(dot)com
FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.

Re: rec.sport.unicycling

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 16:18:49 -0500, john_childs wrote:

>99% of the posts now are from the Unicyclist.com forum.

From http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/rsu2005.htm :

“By the end of 2005, about 97.5% of all posts originated from the
forum, and if anything, the percentage is still rising.”

Looking at the picture on that website, I doubt that the percentage is
up to 99% already, we’ll have to wait till Jan 2007 to know. But it’s
close indeed.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“I’m slowly but surely stealing Wales and bringing it back to my house on the wheel, frame and cranks of my muni. - phil”

Then I’m glad it wasn’t me who went through the trouble of giving a comprehensive, thoughtful answer to your question. Remind me not to bother next time you ask a question.

I was just taking a WAG and pulling a number out of the air. It’s an accident if it happens to be close to the correct number.

I need to get my news reader setup again. I moved and now have a new ISP. I haven’t bothered yet to figure out what they have for Usenet access.

Yes. I do all of my reading on usenet, and really CBA to use web fora for reading news.

I’ve recently taken to using the forum to post on the basis that, with the majority of readers using the forum, it’s probably beneficial to have a recognisable avatar and a bold underlined name. Compare my details to the left of this post (as viewed in the forum) to those on the left of my posts in this thread:

I still wouldn’t bother posting through the forum if it was any extra effort, but actually it’s remarkably easy to just click on the “View this thread” link at the bottom of the usenet message, then click “Quote” and enter my password.

Replace “diff. website” with “the newsgroup or mailing list” (usenet and e-mail are not www), then yes.

In principle there is nothing to stop anyone with usenet access from posting to any unmoderated newsgroup, nor to stop anyone with a subscription to the mailing list from posting to the mailing list. Those posts would then be passed through to the forum.

I believe the mailing list moderator has various safeguards in place to stop crap getting through from usenet. I daresay Gilby would be able to prevent usenet posts from specific users from reaching the forum, but of course they could easily circumvent that by changing their “from” names.

Why is that domain not owned by the IUF, inc. ?

Why does the IUF does’nt have an own website?

Leo,

The International Unicycling Federation’s (IUF’s) use of the unicycling.org domain name and Web site is generously donated. The IUF currently has no means to raise money. The Unicycling Society of America has, in the past, been able to pay for its share of the domain / Web site out of the money it collects from membership fees.

Aha, thanks, always good to know who to be thankfull to.