Reasons to give for unicycling

What are your reasons for unicycling? I think it’d be nice to have a bunch of reasons to provide when asked :slight_smile:

When my friends ask me why I unicycle for practical, I tell them that

-It’s faster than walking, and offers somewhere between the speed of a bike and walking
-It’s versatile. Unlike a bike, you free up both hands. Plus, you’re allowed to take it indoors without dirty (not none, but dirty) looks
-I don’t have to worry about extra footwear that rollerblades force. Just lock up outside and go, or bring it inside
-It’s environmentally friendly, fun, and I enjoy being showered with attention :slight_smile:

• Why not?
  • It’s a bit of a challenge… something different…
  • Faster than walking!

The list could go on, although I think the first two pretty much sum it all up…

Phil

Re: Reasons to give for unicycling

A good start! Here’s some more:

Yes, transportation. Faster than walking (though slower than bicycling), and fits into small spaces. Car trunk. Closet. Classroom. Can take it on the bus.

Or bikes. Normal shoes are fine.

More reasons:

• It makes me feel good.
  • Great workout. More exercise than riding a bike.
  • Exercises mind as well as body.
  • I’m a show-off.
  • I like the challenge.
  • I like constantly trying to learn new things.
  • I like balancing, and riding a bike doesn’t give me enough of that.

I like the fact that it’s totally impossible to balance on a uni (except maybe for 1 sec in a still stand), yet by constantly falling off and positioning the wheel underneath where you’re falling, a convincing illusion of balance is maintained.
It’s also pretty much the simplest wheeled vehicle possible.
And, finally, the combination of cruising along on one wheel, and a nice bright sunny day, is pretty much all I need to feel totally at peace with the world.

I think I do it for the workout the most. 2 big things in my life keep me fit…biking, and uni’ing. I think I continue to do them both, not because of how much fun they are, but because it is the most fun way I know how to excercise.

I stay fit because I love to do it, so it keeps me wanting more and staying on schedule(and then some!)…not like the boring ol’ gym that I feel I ‘need’ to go do

I also feel rewarded because I like being able to do more things, and am really pleased with myself when I finally able to something I’ve been working on

Really, I do it because it’s a lot of fun, and that would be reason enough by itself.

Having said that, I like that it’s hard - the feeling of accomplishment is great and the escape from the little crap I’m wasting my time worrying about is better for the level of concentration it takes.

Also, I love that I don’t have to do really any maintenance after a ride! After a MTB ride I have to wash the bike, clean the chain, bla bla bla - after a Muni ride I could hose it down or just wait for it to dry and brush it off before the next ride.

I got into it for one big reason. I can pogo stick like a mad man, i can walk on stilts easily as walking, i know how to juggle, i can make balloon animals, and i;m even a decent cartoonist.

Unicycling seemed to be the next easy step.

chics dig it :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, I think the best answer is that you like doing it. How many people get asked why they play tennis, or knit, or bicycle, or collect stamps, or bowl, or eat out every night?

If people ask me why I unicycle as a way of getting to questions about unicycling, then I’m happy to engage.

If I’m asked and it is clear that the intent is to get at why I’d do something so odd, then I’m relatively mute leaving it to something like, “because it’s fun”, or “because I like doing it” leaving, I hope, the implication that I don’t need any more of a reason.

This is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA I live in, after all. :slight_smile:

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

my reasons…

reason well the lsit is endelss here r just sum:

~originality
~easy, quicker fun form of transport
~on a skateboard you can do grinds on a bike you can do wheelies well on a unicyle you can do grinds and you’re doing a perment wheelie!
~relaxing, keeps you fit makes exercise fun!
:stuck_out_tongue:

In article <asqlerth.nc930@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
asqlerth.nc930@timelimit.unicyclist.com (asqlerth) wrote:

>
> What are your reasons for unicycling? I think it’d be nice to have a
> bunch of reasons to provide when asked :slight_smile:
>
> When my friends ask me why I unicycle for practical, I tell them that
>
> -It’s faster than walking, and offers somewhere between the speed of a
> bike and walking
> -It’s versatile. Unlike a bike, you free up both hands. Plus, you’re
> allowed to take it indoors without dirty (not none, but dirty) looks
> -I don’t have to worry about extra footwear that rollerblades force.
> Just lock up outside and go, or bring it inside
> -It’s environmentally friendly, fun, and I enjoy being showered with
> attention :slight_smile:
>
>
> –
> asqlerth
You can take them on buses and trains, too.

Liam

because i can…

I gotta go with Sofa too. Exercise is one of my big reasons. I think I decided to stick with unicycling, way back when I was in high school, because I had found a form of exercise that I wanted to do. I think my health today would be much less than what it is had I not.

I don’t like going to the gym (unless it’s to ride unicycles, juggle, etc.). I do like riding to work. It makes me feel so much better and more energetic. And it’s like free exercise time, because my commute time would be there anyway. I am fortunate that I live close enough to ride, and can take a bike path (away from roads) part of the way. Granted, this is mostly on a bike. But my expectation is to get my knees back to where they can handle the 16 mile round trip, and ride the Coker more and more.

The other reason, and one I haven’t noticed being mentioned, is ego. I think most unicyclists don’t mind showing off. 20 years ago I proved myself as a good unicyclist. Since then, I think ego has still been involved. I wanted people to notice me, and wanted to make my own contributions to the sport.

Woo! Woo! Look at me!

Somewhere, sometime in my life, someone must have told me I couldn’t do it.

Because it’s a damn cool way of getting around!!

plus I totally agree with onewheeldave:

you were just baiting me, i know it…

the usa, the only place with a law that prohibits thinking about something. afaik

http://anti-dmca.org/

I like showing off. I have an enormous ego in constant need of massage. Such comments as ‘Wow! That’s really cool!’ do the job quite nicely, thank you very much.

Jus thought I’d quote that :wink:

-Because I think its cool :slight_smile: