sockmonster <sockmonster.vi0km@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>The folks at unicycle.com have a whole new toy to play with. The Yuni
>“Impossible Wheel” is a 20", 48 spoke wheel, with a freewheeling hub,
>and metal platforms to stand on.
>
>http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=725
>
>It looks like a lot of fun, but I’m not about to hop on. Has anyone made
>their own impossible wheel? Any success? What about BC wheels?

Please do not call this unicycle an “impossible wheel”. The proper name
for it is BC wheel. A more descriptive name would be “ultimate coasting
wheel” or just “coasting wheel”.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs@winternet.com>

Perhaps I misunderstood what a BC wheel was. I thought it had pegs attached to the axle, and you traveled by rolling those with your feet. This would be impossible with the freewheeling hub.

So, do BC wheels have freewheeling hubs? If they do, then maybe I’m onto something by fusing the whole thing together :slight_smile:

You might want to tell the folks at Yuni that their product is improperly named.

no, ken just doesn’t like calling something impossible if it’s not actually impossible. ‘impossible wheel’ is the common name for it though

Re: Yuni BC wheel [Impossible Wheel]

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:04:17 -0500, sockmonster
<sockmonster.vie8f@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>So, do BC wheels have freewheeling hubs?
Yes.

>If they do, then maybe I’m onto
>something by fusing the whole thing together :slight_smile:
Possibly, but with the usual diameter of pegs your ‘leverage factor’
would be pretty small and insufficient to propel the contraption over
anything but possibly the smoothest and flattest surface.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Grizzly bear droppings have bells in them and smell like pepper spray. - UniBrier

Re: Re: Yuni BC wheel [Impossible Wheel]

This is like unilaterally declaring that nobody can use the term “parkway” because you don’t actually park on it. Regardless of the evolution of the name or the reasoning for its use, you cannot discount the name simply because you don’t approve of the logic.

The name of the unit is “impossible wheel” or “BC wheel”. I suggest you appreciate the ironic humor behind the name, or simply accept it.

>Ken Fuchs wrote:

>> Please do not call this unicycle an “impossible wheel”. The proper
>> name for it is BC wheel. A more descriptive name would be “ultimate
>> coasting wheel” or just “coasting wheel”.

nbrazzi <nbrazzi.vkmke@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>This is like unilaterally declaring that nobody can use the term
>“parkway” because you don’t actually park on it. Regardless of the
>evolution of the name or the reasoning for its use, you cannot discount
>the name simply because you don’t approve of the logic.

>The name of the unit is “impossible wheel” or “BC wheel”. I suggest you
>appreciate the ironic humor behind the name, or simply accept it.

The proper name for this cycle is “BC wheel”, regardless of how many
people choose to use the slang term “impossible wheel”. I’m sure many
have noticed the confusion on rsu of some people who thought the terms
“BC wheel” and “impossible wheel” refer to distinctly different types of
unicycles.

Many would like to see the use of the term “impossible wheel” die, but
no one can dictate that.

Finally, I ask that people please use the proper term “BC wheel” when
refering to this unique unicycle.

Sincerely,

unicycling (rsu) mailing list owner & rec.sport.unicycling proponent
mailto:rsu-request@unicycling.org?subject=help
http://www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu/
news:rec.sport.unicycling

Ken Fuchs wrote:
> Many would like to see the use of the term “impossible wheel” die, but
> no one can dictate that.
>
> Finally, I ask that people please use the proper term “BC wheel” when
> refering to this unique unicycle.

In that case, can people stop using the term “idling” when they talk
about hovering?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

Darn, I was going to ask that people stop using the term “hovering” when they talk about idling?

Re: Re: Re: Yuni BC wheel [Impossible Wheel]

No, they have to stop using the term “idling” when they are rocking! :slight_smile:

In this area, idling seems to be the officially accepted term. It is lent more weight by being called this in the IUF Rulebook. Rocking is also an accepted name (by me at least), and hovering is a common name for it in the UK. All are correct, though idling seems to be the true “proper” term.

Why? Is there a historical precedent somewhere? I seem to remember it being called by both names as far back as I can remember. I saw one first at the 1980 USA convention, being ridden by Sem Abrahams. Not sure what he was calling it at the time.

Impossible is a bad name because it’s not impossible. Eventually someone is going to come out with something even harder to ride, and not be able to call it a good name because impossible is already taken.

BC (or B.C.) is a bad name for two reasons. We are using the name of someone else’s copyrighted work, which could lead to problems someday, and it’s the name of a comic strip that everyone does not get in their Sunday paper. So the name doesn’t mean anything to them.

I actually like the name Coasting Wheel. Very simple, very accurate, very clear. Anyone else?

How about BD wheel or FD wheel, both standing for “very” Difficult wheel.

Joe

I like that. Coasting Wheel makes it more clear what the contraption is.

There have been several recent qustions in the forum asking what a BC wheel is. Many people are not familiar with the B.C. comic strip – especially people outside the U.S. Calling it a Coasting Wheel instead of a B.C. wheel or impossible wheel would clear up that confusion.

I just don’t like the idea of proposing that a name be changed because it doesn’t fit the literal interpretation of the word. Names are applied for many different reasons, and the literal description of the word is not what matters, what matters is that this word has become a language symbol representing the object. After all, the word “impossible” doesn’t inherently mean anything, its just an arbitrary word applied to a concept many many years ago.

If we restructured our language around literal translations, Scot Cooper would have to change his name because he doesn’t actually build barrels.

This all may sound like philosophical crap, but the point is, the name of the object is “impossible wheel” because that is what people call it. That’s its name because that’s its name. If you want to call it something different, that’s fine, but you can’t expect other people to change what they call it. And if you do decide to call it something different, you risk other peple not knowing what the hell your talking about.

As for liking or not liking the name, I like the name. It adds a nice comic overstatement to the object. To say that you can ride an impossible wheel just sounds cool. It’s like the drink “mind eraser”. Nobody actually expects it to literally erase your mind, but judging

>Ken Fuchs <kfuchs@winternet.com> wrote:

>> The proper name for this cycle is “BC wheel”, regardless of how many
>> people choose to use the slang term “impossible wheel”.

johnfoss <johnfoss.vnw5w@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Why? Is there a historical precedent somewhere? I seem to remember it
>being called by both names as far back as I can remember. I saw one
>first at the 1980 USA convention, being ridden by Sem Abrahams. Not sure
>what he was calling it at the time.

This naming issue has cropped up on rec.sport.unicycling a few times
before and the majority of the people have always preferred to use the
name BC Wheel.

>Impossible is a bad name because it’s not impossible. Eventually someone
>is going to come out with something even harder to ride, and not be able
>to call it a good name because impossible is already taken.

Impossible is often the reaction of many who try the BC wheel for the
first time, but that doesn’t mean the cycle’s proper name is
“impossible”.

>BC (or B.C.) is a bad name for two reasons. We are using the name of
>someone else’s copyrighted work, which could lead to problems someday,
>and it’s the name of a comic strip that everyone does not get in their
>Sunday paper. So the name doesn’t mean anything to them.

The copyright holder of the B.C. comics couldn’t possibly care that we
use “BC wheel” as the name of the ultimate, coasting wheel, otherwise
known by the slang term “impossible wheel”. Copyright in this case,
only protects against someone else republishing the B.C. comics without
royalty. So long as we don’t publish B.C. comics without permission
there is no copyright infringement.

Although the B.C. comics hasn’t appeared in every Sunday or weekday
paper on this planet, it is also available on many web sites such as:

http://www.comics.com/creators/bc/

>I actually like the name Coasting Wheel. Very simple, very accurate,
>very clear. Anyone else?

Yes, I would also prefer “coasting wheel” or “ultimate coasting wheel”,
but the established proper name for this cycle is BC wheel.

Sincerely,

then why not now? there’s three sides to it at the moment: you, people who like ‘impossible’, and people trying to kill the argument you started again

and here’s me thinking the BC wheel had the pegs and the impossible wheel had those lil’ things u stand on that hangs below the level of the axle

surely we’re talking about two different machines here?

is there a major difference in riding the two different set-ups?

my first mistake…

i possibly got the idea from this thread alltho i’ve managed to turn it around

i grew up with the BC comic so the name rings true
so does the idea that the BC wheel should have the pegs on the axle as the one in the strip looked more ‘peggy’ than ‘those other things u stand on’

on the issue of the use of the term or the changing of the term
i’ve said it before and i’ll say it again
language is an organic creature and trying to direct it’s development/usage is a bit like trying to alter the flow of a stream of lava rolling down a hill
it’s possible
just highly unlikely

(unless u haul out the dynamite)

They all ride about the same. When someone is on one, they look about the same. It gets harder the higher you put the pegs or platforms, but all the basics are the same. If you use round pegs, like freestyle BMX pegs right on the axle, you have the added danger of your feet rolling off the pegs. This to me is bad design rather than a useful variation.

Nick made a good argument for ‘impossible,’ saying it’s less important what the word means and more important that people use it.

Ken made a fair argument about the copyright issue. Johnny Hart or his publishers would be unlikely to have an issue with the name B.C. Wheel, unless somebody used that as the official name of their product perhaps. In the past, Johnny Hart has given the nod to people from the unicycling community to use images of Thor.

I was more curious to find out the origins of the two names. Which one came first, which could be ascribed to the owner or rider of one to lend it more weight, etc. I wonder what Sem called his?

But we do get to name things, and we are not completely helpless in the process. For some things, it is necessary to have established common names, to make communication easier. We have the Standard Skills List, with the officially accepted names for all the skills on there. Many of those skills have alternate, or slang names, but the official ones help keep things straight, because they can be pointed to along with the definition of what they are. Some of those names are pretty boring, but we did it that way on purpose, so they would translate better.

So even if the IUF, for instance, were to establish an official name for one of those “peg wheels,” the other names would most likely still get used somewhere.

At the moment, a B.C. Wheel and an Impossible Wheel are the same thing. I wonder if someone should try doing a poll on it? If you do, please include “Coasting Wheel” also.

If you have a good word that starts with “B” that further qualifies a coasting wheel, you can have a BC wheel all over again.

Here are a few B words:
BC (it’s recursive like GNU)
Beer (As in beer coaster, haha)
impossiBle (since there’s a B in impossiBle, just not in the right place, so it’s not really impossible)

but impossiBle doesn’t quite go with Coasting