Rant Thread: Udc shipping, What the hell?

But the thing isn’t that the Amerikan UDC is cheaper. It’s still way to expensive.

true, my biggest beef with them is the shipping, and the limited selection. I had no ide that there was a Monty ISIS and an Onza ISIS till i got bored and took a a peek at the UDC UK site :angry:

udc always have high Shipping prices to brazil

look evan.

if was i asking for the pieces you bought it would cost like 60usd

the shipping price of a uni here to brazil is like 200usd

i already entered in contact with all brands to make a shop here in brazil

but peoples always look for his own interests… :

i really belive that udc superfature the prices.
its like

if the mcdonalds put a number one at the price of 20bucks it will sell. and sell a lot

i don’t like UDC
they sent me the wrong spokes w/ my $100 order, charged over $20 for shipping
and took forever.
when they corrected it… they sent me the wrong replacements
so i ended up just getting them from a bikeshop so that i didn’t have to put up w/ UDC ANYMORE

i hate how they have sucky unis built with $200 wheelbuilds, and then they come with loose spokes…

also, i really hate how the pictures dont even show the right parts half the time.

its not that hard to update a site once a week and to make sure that descriptions are correct…

i like udc uk and mdc so much more…

I think they were on the right track with the new street uni they have, nice and cheap and good parts. They just need more things like that.

udc us didn’t even come up with that, it was udc uk (or was it aus?) that came up with the concept and design. anything nimbus is udc uk, so that nimbus isis hub is thanks to roger davies.

This is my biggest problems as well. The pictures do not consistently match the product; and when they change the product the don’t bother to post a new picture. by the way, brakes are no longer an option even though the unicycle is pictured with brakes. I don’t see how they can run a business and still keep their customers; OH Wait, there are hardly any other choices! They have no motivation to compete for customers business. (these are my impressions based on past business with UDC US)

(flashback) By the way, we will not stock that unicycle because it takes up too much space in our cargo box; Well, increase the number of boxes per year to keep up with demand, DUH!

what uni was this on?

i think that some LBS just needs to replace UDC. If i get a job at my LBS im gonna make a push to get high end unis sold, kinda like AE bikes, except more than jsut KH

Not a complaint but I think its funny.

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1029

Not to defend anyone here … I’ve had some times with UDC when I’ve had to email more than once, and so on. But I’ve also met John Drummond, and he’s a great guy who is doing the unicycling community a terrific service. I suspect that a non-rant, but a constructive set of issues people have had with UDC, might result in something actually happening.

At any rate, I’m currently selling some stuff on eBay that’s bulky and somewhat heavy (some old stereo equipment), and I’ve found out that the shipping prices in the US have really skyrocketed recently. To ship a box that’s 24x18x24 inches and weighs 38 lbs across the US is around $60 for UPS ground, and $40 for US Postal Service. Granted, Evan’s complaint at the start was about bearing holders, which could easily fit in one of the post office’s free, flat-rate boxes that cost $9 to ship anywhere (and within 4 days). I think a lot of businesses exclusively use UPS ground, and their rates have gotten way out of hand. The post office has some pretty nice deals now on shipping smaller items. Maybe UDC could explore this as an option.

I thought UDC should see this thread so that maybe they can address some of the concerns and post a response here, as well as update their website, so what you see is WHAT YOU GET!:smiley: So…I emailed this thread to the helpdesk. All these posts won’t result in any changes unless UDC sees it, so now they will! :slight_smile:

picture not the same
this uni comes w/ splined
pictured w/ cotterless crap
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=587

No, those are the tensile ISIS cranks.
http://unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=904

yup, 15 bucks to ship a pair of gloves is a rip off. UPS ground. They could throw them in a USPS priority mailer at half the price and I would have them twice as fast. People can say it’s because of the skyrockiting shipping prices but for small things that excuse doesn’t cut it. I’m not too impressed with UDC, they are pretty much my last resort for buying uni stuff now.

That sounds like retail pricing, which for a single person to ship one or two items is what you’re going to pay. At work we have a corporate UPS account, we’re not even doing mail order or anything, mostly just inter company shipping and we get MUCH better rates than retail. I can ship a PC which weighs about what a uni would in a box that a uni would fit in across the country for about $25.

Now if we were doing the volume someone who is in the business of mail order, we’d be getting even better rates.

It’s very obvious that UDC is marking up their shipping costs. They also charge mostly full bore retail for their product. Why? Because they can. I got my LBS to stock Torkers instead of the cheap crap he was getting before. He can also now order KH and will sell to me cheaper than UDC, but he’s not prepared to floor them because he’s afraid it won’t sell fast enough.

Go look at the classified ads right here on these forums. It’s funny to me that there are more “WANTED:” postings than “FOR SALE:” postings. What’s wrong with that picture? Unicycles are in an odd spot right now, they seem to be gaining popularity, or at least are popular enough to create some demand, but not to the point that most bike shops are willing to go out on a limb to support the sport.

IMO, the best thing we can do is talk to our LBS and let them know we’re out here. Until we start getting “mainstream” support we will have to rely on the niche market vendors who will charge a premium.

Agreed. That is true with any non-mainstream activity and unicycling is definitely not in the mainstream.

The new Quax 36" (by the way other unicycles have been disappearing from their listings as well)

Thats right, but the description of the unicycle is still incorrect:

The Tensile cranks are solid aluminum. It also doesn’t mention anywhere that that the hub and cranks are ISIS.

If they can’t keep their own website up to date then they should consider making it wiki style so the riders who know what they are talking about can put in the correct descriptions.

Very true, half the unicycle pictures look complete rubbish and don’t match the actual product.

If you look at the pictures of say the koxx devils on UDC (uk in my case), and then compare them to the pics on www.koxx-one.com , you’ll see how much more the koxx site complement there own unicycles with the high quality pictures, which is something UDC could do.

Another good thing, as mentioned by someone else, would be close up shots, of different areas to give a better view of what you’re actually buying!