Quote of the day (from non-riders)

I’d say: I have 11 of them.

3 Likes

Out on a river footpath ride today i had two guys come in the opposite direction on what i assume were gravel bikes as one shouted “whoa look a gravel unicycle , go gravel unicycle go!”

Sadly i didnt get a chance to say "muni cycle "

It did make me laugh as the man shouting was so excited.

3 Likes

Do you use those studded tires to ride on the ice? They are supposed to be able to maintain a grip on the road.

They are great on ice and heavy on everything else. I find a regular MTB tire will grip the small patches of ice we get here provided you ride carefully and watch your balance and acceleration.

We don’t really get a lot of ice on road but the forest trails get incredibly icy in the winter so a fat muni with a studded tire would be amazing in those conditions. It’s more uneven snow and surprise pot holes I have to deal with so just having knobby tires and being careful tends to be enough.

On the days we get freezing rain I usually don’t ride for a day or 2 while everything gets salted. But a studded tire would be more than enough on a day like that as they have amazing traction and give a stupid level of confidence.

Oh, that’s good to know. So I should just get a MUNI. That comes with an MTB tire, right; or, is that a separate purchase? Where can I get those studded tires?

While passing a group of teenagers at the park. Heard as they were talking amongst themselves as I went by.
Teen1: Those things are hard as hell to ride.
Teen2: Yeah. They mash your balls.

Gave me a laugh as I rode past them.

2 Likes

Okay so gross over simplification but Unicycles are fairly simple things. I’d say the big difference between a muni and a regular unicycle is tire and cranks size, and type of axle. The more knobby a tire is the better it is off road, and you have road tires that are more slick and roll better.

Just so we don’t derail this thread, I’d say start as new one saying:

1. What’s your budget?

2. Where do you want to ride? And what kind of distance/length of time are you riding?

3. What terrain is there where you ride? (Small gravel, paved roads, really rooty and rocky trails, smooth lacked down trails, lots of mud and loose stuff, etc)

4. What’s your skill level?

5. After your first places you want to ride, is there anywhere else you want to go? Like do you drive to the trails or do you want to take the bus and ride there too?

1 Like

Back on track with daily quotes from non-riders:

Last weekend, I wanted to see if I could still get some rotations out of my 28" UW. I can’t try too long because of knee pain, but I will just bite through it, coz it’s cool to be able to ride it. I got 12 rotations out of it, and I was quite pleased. It was along a quiet cycle path, but some times people do traverse it. The first was a couple of older people and the woman said “Wow nice wheel”. Then a bit later some guys rode passed me by bike and they thought it looked very cool. People seem to have more respect when I ride UW compared to a “normal” uni.

2 Likes

I know I’m late to the party and cannot add anything new to the discussion. However for what it’s worth it took me 2 month of trying to ride every.single.day until I was able to keep going for 10 to 20 meters. Without freemounting, that is. I still needed something to hold on to get me started for another couple of months. It’s definitely the most difficult thing I ever learned in my life (this coming from someone with a degree in maths :wink:).

Just don’t give up!

3 Likes

I rode my uni to the gym the other day. As I was leaving another guy asked, “Is that your discount bicycle?” and I said, “Yeah…half off.”

7 Likes

a lady: see you soon at the circus !
me: for sure but will you recognise me with my red nose?

2 Likes

As I was struggling to mount my 36” Titan today after a quick break to catch my breath, a man sitting on a bench 20 feet away asked me, “Would you like me to carry you while to get going?”. There may have been a little bit of language barrier, but he certainly speaks English better than I can speak his language. I believe he was offering to let me lean on his shoulder while mounting, and then walk beside me as I gained momentum before letting go of his shoulder.

I thanked him, but let him know that I really needed to force my way through it and learn it. He understood.

After that, I mounted and while slowly pedaling and wobbling on the (slightly) uphill path, he cheered me on as I pedaled further and further away from him, and his loudest encouragement was when I hit my stride and attained “cruising speed”.

It really was nice to have a cheering section. :grin:

9 Likes

Wow, that is such a beautiful interraction! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

So, today I was riding down a hill that goes under a bridge and a bicycle rider passing the other way, said, “beware of the ice under the bridge”.Probably one of the kindest remarks I have had from a non rider. It turns out I could ride it out. The next bridge however I did have to get off, it was a skating rink under there.

3 Likes

While doing a loop on a local trail I saw a guy on a mtb and he said, “I can do that”. Saw him a little later as I was riding through a technical section and he was walking his bike, and he said, “what the f##k!?”.

7 Likes

Could have playfully said “Once that training wheel is removed you can really start riding.” :+1:

2 Likes

Today on my ride home a mother and grandmother and little kid were watching me go by and the mother said, look he’s only riding one wheel.

That is a lot better than my weekend ride when a kid said, look mom, a clown. Hes a clown mom.

I had an interesting comment when a cyclist went past as I UPD’d. “NIce recovery”. I thought, well, before I actually really learned to ride, I learned to fall and recover from falling so as not to hurt myself, so yeah if I can’t ride that well, or if I have trouble free-mounting at least I know how to get off. Sigh.

3 Likes

I was once told, or I once read, that “the most dangerous thing you can do on a unicycle is be a beginner.”

7 Likes

Or think you are no longer a beginner…

8 Likes

From a woman, to a small child: “Look! Another unicycle!”

Another unicycle? Somebody else in my neighborhood rides? Or did she just mean “There he goes again!”?

3 Likes