Quote of the day (from non-riders)

On my way to UniHoki yesterday I stopped off at the garage to put some more air in my 24’s Hookworm.
Since I have preciously little clearance on the frame, the tyre catches when I over-inflate so I have to be really carefull.
I popped some air in and then got on and rode around the car just to make sure the pressure was fine.
It was.
I stuck it back in the car and headed into the convenience shop to get a drink.
When I got to the cashier she wanted to know what ‘that’ is called.
I told her it’s a unicycle and she then proceeded to ask a couple of very well thought out questions about learning to ride.
Quite a nice change.

“Edd, you’re actually insane, I can’t even walk down that hill!” My friend Andrew, when riding yesterday (He was on his motorbike, I was on my Muni). He filmed me on his phone bombing down some hills.

Later I attempted my longest steep decent ever, I was almost at the bottom when my left foot came off of the pedal, simply because I was pedalling so fast. I totally ATE it and now my left knee is absolutly killing me and I have a nice rectangle bruise where I landed on my mobile phone in my pocket!
The only time he didn’t record me and I fell hardcore style!

Andrews response was: “Oh my god! That branch almost went through your head!” and, “Do it again and I will film you!”

A good time had by all!

Rock on!
Edd

umm if internet comments to a video count … i have some good ones…

YOU ARE SO HOT and so are you’re skills on that uniycle

you’re pretty good on that unicycle and cute to add to it

i could keep goin, but the rest are old

Terrybigwheel and I Muni’d to the beach yesterday where we got a great comment. A very hip looking dude said " yo, that st is fking tite!" He even bumped fists with Terry for doing a long skinny.

I was riding on the beach yesterday and got several good compliments but there was one that made no sense at all. This guy was with his son when I rode by on my nimbus trails which has the creepy crawler so I wasn’t going to be surprised if some one commented on how big the tread was but he says “look he lost his other tire” it made no sense at all because it would still be a bike even if it only had one tire. :thinking:

j

I was ‘recognised’ for the first time today. Whilst on my regular practice loop I came across a family at a particularly narrow part of the path. I stopped and leant against a handy lamp post and gestured with a smile and a wave for them to come forward. I could see some quiet conversation going on as they approched.
As they went past the mum said to her son, “Go on then, ask him.”
The little boy says, “Were you riding your bike down Aberavon beach last week?”
“Yeah, that was me.” I say.
The boy smiles and wanders after his family.
I ride off and realise I’m getting a reputation. Hell, there can’t be more than four or five unicyclists in the whole of Wales.
There’s me, the missus (Pinwheel), Cathwood and Milk.
I’ll have to start spreading the uni word a bit more. :slight_smile:

i was in wales the other day

conwy near there visited the casle

and towns and studd near there?

dunno if thats anywhere near where you live though

Conwy castle is up north in Cathwood’s area.

It’s a cracking castle though.
I’m darhn Sarth in Swansea.
I suspect both Cathwood and myself take advantage of the cracking seafront proms. :slight_smile:

he he : last week halfway through a ride in a wood south of Paris, I was sitting on a bench (panting) and a gentleman came to me and said “I’ve seen you yesterday dashing down this slope: very impressive!” very impressive indeed since I wasn’t there the day before and certainly not down that slope! So I have an alter ego who dashes throught the same woods :thinking:

You have the makings of a UniHoki team…

i got an interesting one today, i was standing outside school after the bell went to go home for a bit (didnt have my uni), and a kid comes up to me and goes

“did you get your other back?”
me-had no idea whatsoever what he was on about “i’m not missing a tyre?”
“yes you are”
me-thinking i’ve got two on my bike what’s this kid on about? “no i’m not??”
“yes you are, you ride a unicycle”
then he left.

i was like ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that would make sense

This was actually for The Bruiser while he was riding his DX and I was walk/jogging (heading for a halo party, but he was more for the rough terrain behind the person’s house). The one who said this was fairly young.

He gave a really strange look, and said, “What happened to your bike?”

I’ve even gotten complimented while trying despite not being able to ride more than a few feet. People are easily amused/amazed.

Ever since ive gotten My Muni ive taken to riding both the Muni and the Trials every day.

The kids in my building love it…Every time i bring down a “different” uni. theyre always som amazed, saying things about the Muni like," Wow thats bigger than my moms car wheels!!"

And about the Trials like “You bike looks like it was attacked by a bear!”(cuz its so beaten up.

Well, it’s been some time since I was asking newbie questions here and now I can enjoy freemounting (yay!) and riding as far as I wish (hooray!)…
As a result of my riding in the vicinity I gather a bunch of various comments; fortunately mostly positive.

A few that really made me smile:

• In the park a mother is strolling with her 6 years old daughter. She notices
    me and points me with a finger saying: “Mummy, look!! Can you do this?”

• A guy is walking with his daughter, they both notice me and father says
    “See? He’s riding on one wheel, and you still are unable to ride on two
    wheels!” (poor girl, stupid father :wink: )

Strangely enough, my first “lost wheel” comment I got not from local, Polish people, but from a bunch of english-speaking foreigners taking a walk nearby.

There’s also MattyJ off the forums and a few guys at uni (Glamorgan) who are learning. We should start a Welsh Unicycling Club or something :slight_smile:

Me with a giraffe
Kid: Can you ride that?
Me: no I carry it around to look cool.:smiley:

white SUV stops, window rolls down
thinking: they’re gonna throw something at me!
cellphone camera sticks out window
people: hey!! unicyclist!! woo hoo yeah!!!

“How did you get it down here?” - Little girl at the Franklin NH Dam, at the bottom of an epic staircase.
“One step at a time”. (I hopped… riding straight down is prolly possible, but very very dangerous…)

I’m just the local forum representative. I co-run a unicycle club which can have up to ten or eleven unicyclists at various stages of learning. Most noticably are carl (unicycling down snowdon adventure organisor), Stuart (local MUni rider), Joel (best unicyclist of all - aged 13) and Terri (Joel’s dad). Also my hubby and nephew can ride, even if they don’t very often. There are many more riders in the North Wales area as there used to be a circus school here (up to a couple of years ago).

I think it’s safe to assume that there are many more unicyclists around than are represented on this forum.

(End of thread jack).

“hey dad, there’s a one wheeler” (I liked that)

Cathy