Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Sorry - I haven’t figured out how to quote a portion only.

You did it mostly right, you just need to leave the
[/QUOTE]
at the end of what you are quoting.

Not much of a quote but I got “Taking your wheel for a walk again?” from a guy referring to my last outing where I spent more time carrying my uni than riding it.

Good one! :smiley:

at the end of what you are quoting.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Sas, I am a better man now :slight_smile:

Today I got “Nice wheels”!

I must admit, this comment took me totally by surprise. But for once, although lame, at least it was something new! I had to laugh. :smiley:

Biker: “Hey, didn’t I see you on www.crotchgrabbers.com?” :stuck_out_tongue:

Apparently another of the many misconceptions some people still have concerning unicyclists, is that they can’t really see that we are holding the lift handle, so to them, it looks like we are grabbing our crotch while riding. :roll_eyes:

“I respect you. A lot. I want you to know that.”

What’s this now? a handle? We don’t grab our… I mean, oh yeah… crazy people… we don’t… no, we’re grabbing the handle. :o

Don’t know about you guys but I am definitely constantly holding onto my crotch while I’m riding. Makes me feel more secure.

There’s another person here who has a thread he hasn’t posted in a while but he is also learning on a 36’er

A group of CHAV’s at my local park used to find it hilarious to shout, “haha, look! that tw*ts holding his yellow nob!” as i rode along on my qu ax…

Isn’t that usually followed by something like “It’s not you, it’s me but it’s over”?

I ride most days on campus at the University of North Carolina and the last two days I’ve overheard students on their cell phones interrupt the conversations to say something like “Dude, a unicycle just passed me!"

I also got the “it’s a tricycle!” comment from a young girl with her mom the other day. It’s uncanny how people across the nation tend to say the same things over and over.

I wonder if people’s non-verbal responses to seeing a unicycle are as standardized as their verbal responses. Here are the three most common non verbal reactions I get:
[LIST=1]

• Quite a few people do a double take and then smile.
  • Some people seem too embarrassed to make eye contact (I think they’re actually embarrassed for me)
  • A surprising number of people move off the sidewalk when they see me coming as if they are afraid I’m going to fall on them and then they watch me go by. I haven’t quite figured this one out yet since I’m fairly good at traveling in a straight line and haven’t fallen on anyone yet. [/LIST] I bet a psychologist could write a whole dissertation on peoples' reactions to encountering a unicyclist.
  • With bikers, I like to break the ice first by saying something like, “Wow, 2 wheels…how do you balance on that thing!?” They usually have a good laugh with that.

Women’s Response to Unicyclists

This link was passed along to me be a caring relative who wanted to be sure I did not make a serious mistake with my interest in unicycling;

Should I get a mask? :roll_eyes:

Doesn’t play for me.

Haha, but I thought unicycling was “chick magnet”!? :sunglasses:

[THREAD]37600[/THREAD]

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/335/7633/1320

So, I’m a beginner on the unicycle and today I’m doing some practice laps in an empty parking lot. I look up and there’s this elderly woman standing on the sidewalk. As I flail past her she says, “That’s got to be the hardest thing I have ever seen.”

I told her that I felt the same.