Quote of the day (from non-riders)

I’m going down a very steep hill today. One that I’ve tried several times before and always UPD’d. The hill is about a hundred yards long with a tight right hand corner about halfway down. After the corner is a hump-backed bridge over a canal. Steep hill + tight corners + hump-backed bridge = UPD every time. On the corner of the turn is a solitary house.
As I’m going down, my face is a mask of concentration. Normally my arms just hang down by my side when I’m riding, but now they are raised in front of me for extra balance. I get to the tricky corner and hear a muffled “David! David! There’s a man on a unicycle going down our hill!” from inside the house.
A even more muffled “Hhuhh?” from upstairs.
I’m guessing maybe David is on the crapper.
“DAVID! DAVID! THERE’S A MAN ON A UNICYCLE GOING DOWN OUR HILL!”
This remark, followed by a pause from David must have gone on about five or six times until eventually I got to the bottom and was out of earshot.

Later on I was going along the canal path, which isn’t very wide at the best of times, and I see and old feller ahead of me with his back to me.
“S’cuse me!” I shout from around twenty yards away.
No response.
“Coming through!” I shout louder. Still no response.
“EXCUSE ME!” I bellow, around five yards away.
The old chap, obviously deaf as a post, turns round, looks at me, smiles and says, “Oh, you’re on one of those bikes!”
Another one to add to my collection of ‘EH?’ comments. :smiley:

As I rode the first flat part of a local muni trail, I caught up to 2 women and 3 dogs at the corner where the trail splits. I said “Excuse me” so as not to surprise them. Then, because one was sort of in the way, I said “I’m turning up there” and I motioned to the trail heading right and up the steep hill (steep enough that I don’t always make it to the top in one go).

One of the women said “Can you do that?” with a tone of surprise, and the other said “Yeah, really?”

I said “I’m gonna try, I’ve made it before.”

I made it, and didn’t UPD till the next hill, out of their sight.:smiley:

i love sneaking up behind people. can u imagine most likely never having seen someone ride a uni in your entire life simply to be almost run into by some guy on one. itd be hillarious. but im so sick of people saying things to me, like wheres the other wheel. i mean, i dont go up to fat people and say hey, jenny craigs thattaway.

I went riding today and there was a guy who was jogging and had his headphones on so he didn’t hear me come up behind him and so i slowed down and rode just behind and to the left of him. It took him 5 minutes to notice I was behind him and he looked at me did a double take pulled off his headphone said “OHH S***!, I though you’re bike was broken, but it’s just a unicycle. you F****** scared me dude holy S***.way to ride” I replied “well at least you know what a unicycle is called, most people just tend to call my unicycle “it” or “that Thing” see ya later I have to go this way.” after that I went to my regular riding area and got the usual “where’s you’re other wheel stuff”

I went down to buy textbooks and a guy outside the porter’s office saw me and yelled “AWW YEAH! Is the unicyle club back?” I of course responded with “HELLS YEAH!” :smiley:

I was talking to a dad from the father/son group I’m in, who is helping sponsor me in the upcoming MS-150 charity ride I’m doing. I was grousing about how my training the previous month was off, and I was only able to ride 150 miles instead of my 200 mile goal. His reply helped put a new perspective on things:

“I’m amazed that you would even consider riding five miles on one wheel, much less 150 or 200. To me, that’s seems about the same as flying to the moon with one of those rigs where you pedal to make the wings flap. One endeavor sounds about as feasible to me as the other. I don’t know how you do it…”

I think that one will help sustain me through the long ride ahead… :slight_smile:

Went past two teenage girls in the park today. They both stared at me with eyes as big as dinner plates. As I go past, one whispers to the other, “Did you see that? He had no handlebars!”
No mention of a missing wheel at all.
Later on I go past an impossibly cute 8 or 9 year old little girl playing with her dad. She mantains eye contact with me as I approach, and in a crisp, clear voice says, “You’re clever.”

Heh.
That made my day.

One day, Matt and I decided to meet up at a park near his house, so we could practice backwards riding in the hockey rink (sorry GILD). I got there about ten minutes before there, and I see that the park is really crowded. Turns out there is a soccer practice, and where this is a soccer practice, there are families. With small children. So as I ride towards the rink, I can already hear the "whoa!"s, and "AWESOME!"s, so the ride’s already starting out well. I get there, and sit down, and this group of 4-5 year olds walks over, and starts taking to me. And then, with the innocent, demanding air that only kids that little can pull off, a little girl “asks” me to do a trick. So I get up, and think “What will impress them most…hmmmm”. So I ride off a nearby picnic table, and they all start clapping. I immediately have to start trying to repress my horrible blush reflex (that’s extremely annoying). I ride around, and get through the vast majority of my tricks before Matt gets there. He starts to ride up, and they all start yelling “There’s two one-wheelers!!!”, which is of course only kids that young can pull off. So, we’re riding around, practicing our backwards riding (much to the kids’ amusement), and one of the kids yells to me “Why do you have your shirt off?”.
“Because it’s hot”

His response, which is probably the best example of little-kid logic that I have ever/will see:

“Why don’t you just wear a shirt, but take the sleeves off so you’ll be cooler?”

:thinking:

Had 3 negative comments last night, all within the space of 2 minutes.

I was riding down the foot path next to the road and a car comes up from behind with the passanger yelling “use your hands!”. I can only assume that they thought I was a regular Bicyclist (looking from behind) and were trying to throw me off. I was a little shocked because I thought to myself ‘where would i put my hands?’.

Next time i’ll put my hands over my head and make a clapping motion.

2nd comment was just a bit later from somone in a fenced in yard / lawn (Its a scout hall, but could be used by other people).

“The Circus is in town”.
I wasnt sure if they were talking to someone else so I just ignored it.

Then much louder a little later “Keep it in the Circus!”.

I understand the negativity that some non-unicyclist have. They are just jealous of our Skills and Ability. If i just walk down the street, no one would say anything. If I rode a bike down the street, no one says anything. But as soon as someone does something different or skillful, all bets are off. And I guess they feel better by insulting or trying to degrade that skill/ability then it makes them equals.

But next time i’ll reply with “Keep it in the ZOO!” :smiley:

Ben

I had been riding my Muni on a rocky trail for a while and decided to take a break. While I was resting, a family came climbing up the trail towards me. The father, seeing that I had a unicycle, asked me the question that so many of you dispise. “Did you lose a wheel?” I looked over at him, and said," You know, I’ve been all over this park and I have know idea what happened to it." He and his family had big smiles on their faces, and it turned into a great opportunity to talk about unicycling. Then they asked if they could watch me ride down the rocky trail.

I usually respond in a similar manner, and have had many opportunities to talk with strangers about this unusual sport that they didn’t know existed.

I just got and idea for a new thread.

I’ve had from a cyclist “Whats wrong with 2?”

From a group of kids as I rode past on my 36"er “Why do it?”

and on the same coker journey from a group of really little kids on bikes who live down my road “SHOWOFF” which they kept shouting as I went down the road.

yesterday I had several kids ranging in age from 5 to 12 years old ask me where I bought it and how much it was, I was on my way to the park and met a unicyclist who I talked to for a while he said there was a guy that lived across the street from him that taught him how to ride and that he occasionally ride everyonce in a while, while at the park several young children said “you’re really good at that!” then the started asking my to do some tricks so I did then they started challenging me to do new things that I had never tried before… I wasn’t too sucessful but the kids got a good laugh.

It was a rainy day, not really the best time to ride when everything is all slippery…Anyways, I went to a park by walking with my sister and carrying my unicycle…I learned my lesson, don’t walk your uni for long ammounts of time…When I was almost there, I rode it the 20 feet max. to the park, and there are two guys who ride their bikes a lot…to the beach I guess, there’s the park, on top of a 6-foot wall that separates the beach from the park, so we’re REALLY close to the beach, and those guys, their bikes are really old, or imitation, sort of like '64 Stingray type, really, mine’s ‘05 Stingray, probably not that far…I didn’t take it, enough blather, anyways they’re in groups of two and the first group just stares, one guy of the second group…also stares, the other one just says "Cuida’o que no te caiga’ " slangy “Careful you don’t fall” and right then I think, “Don’t they have any confidence? You can fall sitting down and I’m not telling them to be so careful” but I realize when it comes to unicycling, I use the fact that my sister and I almost fell while sitting down once. Right then I had a UPD, but no fall. Lucky me. Then eventually I fell and the pedal sort of got into my already ugly shins and scraped them and made them even uglier, I never thought it was possible!Well, then my sister noticed and she left. I haven’t asked for shin guards yet…I will…eventually.

i got an OMG youre freaking insane on that thing

and a couple “youre gays”

and an I LOVE YOU STEPHEN!!!
that one was cool :slight_smile:

“Oh Snap!”

Not sure if that’s a good thing.

I don’t read this thread regularly, so stop me if you’ve heard this one already: :roll_eyes:

I was in the park, riding around, and there were some little kids swimming in the river. A few of them saw me, so they got out and were watching me. A little boy said “Look at that guy on the bike!” and the little girl next to him smacked him, and said, “it’s a unicycle!”.

It was just so funny, I thought. :slight_smile:

Comment from a kid to his dad:

“Dad! Dad! Look! A man without a wheel!”

I laughed so hard I actually fell off the uni :slight_smile:
It definitely made my day…

-Jedrzej

I was riding at the skate park and a kid came up and asked me “where is the other guy on the green unicycle?”

I explained the other unicyclist was my brother and that he was at college. (note: he rides a black unicycle but anyway)

The kid replied “oh:( , I thought he had gone off and joined the circus.”

He looked obviously disappointed that my brother was wasting his time at college rather then doing something so useful with his life!

I was walking around the school today and i had at least 6 people ask where my Unicycle was, I guess I ride at school more often that I thought I did, It was pretty cool, one rather amusing comment was, “Where’s your Unicycle, Did you send it back to the Circus WHERE IT BELONGS!?” every capitalized letter is an emphasized word, My reply was “Nope just let my dog borrow it so he could show up the bear at the circus this weekend” they looked at me stunned then realized it was a joke and remembered I didn’t really have a dog and laughed so hard he fell over… that was fairly odd then I found out that he had taken about 2 vicodin before school for his ribs (he broke three of them falling out of a tree this summer.)

ok, so i got this one from a kid at school today, as i was riding over to go to work.

“Dude! Dude! I’m gonna trip you!” sticks foot out in front of my coker wheel

CRUNCH.

“OW!!!”

(me yelling back) “Hey dude, my 36 inch wheel will beat your 10 ounce foot anyday of the week.”