Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Dangerous unicycle

My son Augie loves to ride uni. He also plays baseball & we have tried to get the BB players interested in riding uni to the extent that I have given 3 away. While the kids seem to be in, its the parents who think its so dangerous & don’t want their son to ride, saying they will break their arm. I have explained numerous times that it is safer than a bicycle to no avail. :thinking:

“Dangerous”

I’ve gotten the “dangerous” attitude from a lot of people. I can only guess what some of the root causes are for this attitude. Here are some guesses:

1. People think of giraffe unicycles (regardless of what’s in front of their face).
  2. Maybe they or a friend tried a unicycle and fell off immediately (they probably tried to mount by putting a foot on the 12:00 pedal).
  3. They’ve watched too many cartoons depicting unicycles.
  4. They’ve become so inured to the free-wheel of the bicycle, that they don’t understand the mechanics and the control of the fixed pedals.
  5. Their conception of “falling” is based on bicycle wrecks, not typical unicycle UPDs involving landing on one’s feet.
  6. (Unlikely) They’ve been reading the “Fastest Speed on a Unicycle” thread on the forum.

gdrambler: I’m sure you’ve shared the following with naysayer parents:

1. Speeds are generally low on the unicycle.
  2. Unicyclists are mostly close to the ground; they don’t fall far.
  3. Unicyclists wear pads, helmets, gloves, etc.
  4. The continual act of upright balance helps unicyclists land on their feet almost all the time.

Then again, considering you’re dealing with irrational folk, I might suggest responding to their “dangerous” pleas with humor:

1. I never unicycle under ladders or in front of black cats.
  2. I’ll lend you a unicycle to try, and if you die trying, you can keep it!
  3. Perfectly safe…um, can you sign this waiver?
  4. Sometimes, when I’m riding, I worry about meteorites and space junk falling on my head; perhaps I need a better helmet.
  5. It’s not ‘unicycling’ which is dangerous; it’s all those darn banana peels!

i came across this

some proud dad posted it. I espesially like the pink boots :slight_smile: Maybe if you show this to overprotective parents they will understand.

Re: video

My neighbor’s daughter is about the same age. Last time I saw her, she was walking from the car to the house, staring at her iPad, connected to headphones.

The girl in the video was either a brilliant actor, or she was really enjoying herself. The apparent joy of unicycling…is what the over-protective parents need to see. Maybe that would change their minds. Great video!

I’ve met her dad. He is really proud of her and also enjoys riding his own unicycles.

I remembered the pink boots:

yeah,

i have a six year old daughter who want to ride too, so i have a 20" with the seat in the lowest position. She can’t reach the pedal in the lowest position so i either have to install shorter cranks or get a smaller uni :slight_smile:

OK, so round here I fairly often get guys driving their cars slower, and having the passenger lean out the window to talk to me as I ride on the road. Yesterday was no different - Usual questions, is that hard to ride, etc. Then as the conversation ended and they started speeding up, I heard “he got legs like the F***ing Incredible Hulk!” :sunglasses:

Bit more clever than the usual, at least!

Today a passing motorist yelled, “Kris Holm!”, and for the briefest millisecond I thought he was giving me an 'attaboy.

Then it occurred to me that he was probably speculating on my brand of unicycle…

Had a couple in the last few days:

Little girl “are you in the circus?”
Me “no, I wish I was”
Little girl “are you training to be in the circus?”
I’m sure some of you have had that lots, but it’s a new one for me, and she was very cute and friendly. Her mum asked if I could demo - we were in a little mall where I’m not supposed to ride, so I said I wasn’t supposed to ride, but hopped on anyway, rode a few metres, hopped a 180 and rode back - she was made up!

Later the same day had just finished my muni ride and came off the trail onto the road - splattered in mud.
Bloke in a car “do you ride that off-road?”
Me “yep”
Bloke in a car “you must be nuts”
Me “yep”

Got another funny original from a biker on the trail. As he was riding by he said:
“I could ride that…if you added another wheel!” :smiley:

Had a new one from a kid today. “I have never seen one of those in real life!”

The Runner

I was riding a trail while a runner approached. And then, just some 15 yards ahead of me he started jumping on one foot and yelling “SOLIDARITY, SOLIDARITY!”.

A car passed me and stopped to turn right. I dismounted and stayed behind it a bit, waiting maybe 20 seconds before it made its turn. Once it pulled away and was several car lengths down the road a teenage male stuck his head out and said “Is the circus in town!”

Those comments usual don’t bother me, but this one did a little. I think it’s because it seemed he waited until he was a safe distance to say something. Pussy.
The car also drove away slower than traffic and the car behind him had to brake. If it were me in that car, seeing it just pulled out, was going too slow, and some idiot passenger was half out yelling something, I would have laid on the horn. I wish that had happened cause the kid would have felt like an ass. I’ll just remember it that way. :stuck_out_tongue:

That is awesome!

I get comments like that on a weekly basis. Probably the worst example of it was when my wife told her colleagues I was off unicycling for the weekend. One of the colleagues asked if I was training for a circus. Later on, when she recounted the story to my, I asked her if she explained to her colleague that I was mountain unicycling. No, she didn’t.

My wife has been supportive of my uni buying habit, and she appreciates that I am now in shape, but that’s about the end of her interest in unicycling.

When I told my dad, on the phone, for the first time, that I had taken up unicycling, he responded, without taking a breath, “That doesn’t really surprise me.”

Strangers’ ignorant comments can be a bummer, but not as much as those coming from one’s family.

Luckily, we unicyclists ride because WE like it!

HA! Most of my family didn’t skip a beat when I told them either, as though they just knew it’d happen one day.

However, they all know full well the sort of riding I do, so I haven’t felt the burn you have yet! :frowning:

1 Like

“Holy crap, look at his legs”

Yes I am very confused…

Reminds me of Walker Percy’s take on William Faulkner’s relationship with his Mississippi neighbors:

One can imagine Robinson Crusoe on his island doing amazing acrobatics for his herd of goats, who might look up, dreamily cud chewing for a moment, then go on with their grazing. “That one didn’t grab you?” Crusoe might say, then come out with something even more stupendous. But even if he performed the ultimate stunt, the Indian rope trick, where he climbs up a stiff rope and disappears, the goats would see it as no more or less that what this character does under the circumstances. Come to think of it, who would want it otherwise?

Excellent! That’s a great response.:D:D