Quote of the day (from non-riders)

“Carry On Unicycling” :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know if “ridingwithscissors” realizes it, but his current avatar pic, “What are you on?” was the quote that started this thread! :slight_smile:

Best thing I’ve heard so far is yesterday when riding with five other guys from these forums, I was in the back by a good amount of distance 'cause I’m the newbie and my stamina is non-existent, and we all passed a man and his son who was probably 7 or so, and as I passed him the little boy said, “Why’s that one going so slow?”

I had a good laugh. I didn’t have a reaction, though.

Shoe on the other foot?

Today I was riding my bicycle with my lovely girlfriend downtown when I came across a man riding a unicycle. He was listening to headphones but I bugged him anyway. The ‘secret unicyclist signal’ thread never produced any tangible fruit as far as I am aware so I was left without a script. I said “Hi I am a fellow unicyclist and I don’t know anyone else in town who rides”. I introduced myself and told him he should join the unicyclist.community! :smiley:

What thread was that again? I figured there had to be some secret hand gesture - one finger perhaps? :roll_eyes:

unicyclists secret code

Thanks, and I’d agree. Clearly didn’t go anywhere. I always assumed there was a secret ‘wave’ but it sounds as if it’s so infrequent it doesn’t warrant its own form of acknowledgement.

I hear that-a you can only do the secret wave if you have-a six fingers on your right hand.

It’s-a that secret.

Holy snuff colored coon sh*t!

needless to say it was a new one to me :slight_smile:

Today within about 45 seconds I got:

“What do you call that, a tricycle?”

“Girls, look, a one wheel bicycle”

“Daddy, why is he riding a tire?”

The last one was from a 3-year old girl, who is obviously smarter then the previous two adults.

Adolescent boy with mom.

Mom: Look a unicycle. How cool.

Boy: I like your 5.10s.

I almost forgot this one.

When a bunch of us were out doing muni on mtb trails over the weekend, we stood to one side to allow a couple to pass us on their mountain bikes. The man, in the lead, looked us over and said, “You know, if you put them all together you might be able to make a bike out of them.”

His wife chided him, “Tsk! Don’t say things like that. I’m sure they hear that sort of thing all the time.”

I think I know who the smart one was.

At 11pm a couple of nights ago, whilst cycling along the main shopping street, I passed a group of people dressed in black tie. One of the guys shouts at me:

“NO!! I refuse to accept that! Inefficient form of transport. Oi, come back here you tw*t!”

I kept on riding.

Today I went riding near the Rideau Canal in Ottawa. After my riding I went at the “Beaver Tail” thing and an old woman told me:
The old woman “Do you ride on the ice with that?!”
Me: “Actualy, not with this one”
She looked a little bit confused:p

Yesterday I went on my first long ride on my new 36er, and I ended up at Costco. When I came out I retrieved my uni from the “greeter” who was keeping it safe near the entry for me. A mom with two young sons stopped to talk to me as I was about to mount, so I hung out with them for a few minutes. During the conversation, I encouraged both the boys to consider trying to learn to ride one if it intrigued them. I told them how it would make everything else they do balance-wise easier.

The boys were like 10 and 12, and looked fascinated by the big wheel. I told their mom they could go to unicycle.com to find anything unicycle related, (like a 20" unicycle). She actually seemed really concerned and then said…

“Please don’t encourage them, you’re giving them ideas.”

I told her that there were a lot worse ideas that they could have, and that she shouldn’t worry if they want to try to learn someday. I wasn’t trying to interfere with anything, they had questions and I tried to answer them and let them know that it was a worthwhile activity.

Anyway, I thought it was sad that she was so freaked out by their interest in unicycles. Maybe she shouldn’t have stopped to ask me questions?

I rode pass some guy with a video camera on a tall tripod. He didn’t see me till I was riding away from him. A short time later I heard a shattering crash, loud enough to be heard over the rock music playing through my headphones.
Apparently he had grabbed his tripod setup and rushed to catch up with me. Somehow the video camera fell off the top, to the concrete. Very sad.

I didn’t hear exactly what he said at the time… probably couldn’t have posted that anyway.

I was riding my friends 6 foot unicycle… and this rather larger lady came up and was “complaining” about being in the parking lot around cars.

using very colorful language I might add.

I hopped off and put up with her all for about 30 seconds, and then held my friends giraffe right up next to her, and said “Your just mad that I can ride something bigger than you are!”

She was stunned.

Today’s quote out on the rainy trail:

“________??!”
This from a Chihuahua coming down the trail the other way. The fat little dog stopped and moved slightly from side to side while giving me a concerned look. I ended up having to dismount. Taken down by a Chihuahua!

It’s possible you misinterpreted her, and she was just trying to be funny (or concerned at what a pair of unicycles might cost her).

Suggested response to her:
“Stop your bitching. Nobody’s making you be in here with these cars!” :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, giving you a hard time about the way you wrote it. Sometimes I get concerned about kids playing around on skateboards or similar around my car. It all depends on if they look like they know what they’re doing…

Cmon john, its just a car. As long as they dont break anything vital, at least they are riding skateboards, they could be doing worse. Even though we here all know they could be doing a lot better with one wheel… You really should be more concerned with their choice of transportation/recreation and not with what is around them while they enjoy it.

Isn’t skateboarding a crime? :thinking: :roll_eyes: :wink: :smiley: