Quick Release Seatpost Clamp

I have been riding my 24" muni longer distances recently(~10mi), and have noticed how much seat height makes a difference for different riding conditions and obstacles. I was wondering if anyone uses a quick release seat clamp on a muni, and if that is strong enough/small enough to be effective, but out of the way, etc. I know a lot of beginner unicycles use the quick release clamps, but I’m curious to see if there is a quick release option for a high-end uni. Regardless I need some padded shorts for the rubbing, but that’s a whole other issue…

I use quick releases on almost all my unicycles, including my MUnis and road unicycles with long handles.

A high end quick release like Salsa or Hope will hold your post nearly as strongly as a dual bolt clamp.

I originally used a QR on the 24x3 Cross Quax MUni of our unicycle club, and it work so good that I decided to put one even on my KH29" with dual hole cranks! Love it :slight_smile:

I’m using Hope QR on my KH29 and 36 with dual cranks, perfect !

I have a QR on everything except my 20 inch trials.
Works like a charm, and it means I can adjust my muni etc on the fly.

I’m getting a couple of Hope Quick release seat post clamps the next time I order something from Chain Reaction Cycles and I wanted to double check with you guys to make sure I have the dimensions right.

For my Nimbus Oracle I need a 28.6 OD
For my KH36 I need a 31.8-32.0 OD

Agreed?

Back when we had a unicycling magazine, there was a “compression test” comparing seat post clamps. Lowest clamping pressures were the KH and Nimbus double clamps, highest pressures were with the Salsa and Hope QR clamps.

I like Hope best, but they are hard to find, so Salsa works fine in anodized.

I have them on all my unis, use them on rides to adjust for changes in terrain, leg fatigue, shoe differences, swapping unis with buddies, etc…

Fixed clamps are so yesterday :roll_eyes:

Yup.

What size clamp would I need for a KH 26?

31.8mm.

right answer, I’m using 31,8mm Hope QR on my KH26/29/36

Heads up! I was wrong! The Oracle (aluminum) frame is different from other (steel) Nimbus frames. Despite using a 25.4mm seatpost, the Oracle frame uses the same 31.8mm seatpost collar (e.g. clamp) as my KH36.

Also, a little birdie told me a new kind of Quick Release clamp (developed by unicyclists for unicyclists) will be available from UDC by Christmas 2012 and it will come standard on high end unicycles (like the Oracle) going forward. I can’t give away the secret but I can tell you that it will be “twice” as good. Enough (too much?) said.

I think too much said. :slight_smile: I would rather pay for a nice single lever clamp like a Salsa or Hope though.

Are you sure about that size? The other Alu Nimbus frames (the equinox and eclipse frames) are 30.6mm OD.

At this point, I’m not SURE about anything and won’t be until I take shipment of my new Salsa Flip-Lock 32.0 collar and try to slip it on my Oracle frame. All I know is that Josh from UDC told me (on the phone) to get the same one that I would get for my KH36. And, I know for a fact (from experience), that the Salsa Flip-Lock 28.6mm that I was using on my Nimbus Impulse does NOT fit my Oracle but it does fit my daughter’s 20" Club.

I’m still blown away by the fact that my 26" Oracle uses a 25.4mm seatpost and an oversized (just exactly what size, I still cannot confirm) clamp. Why didn’t they just use a 27.2mm seatpost?

If it sounds like I’m severely confused, it’s because I am. :thinking:

Hey gang, ID (inside dimension) is diffent than OD (outside dimension).

Seat posts use ID, 25.4 Nimbus aluminum and steel frames, 27.2 KH frames.

Seat post clamps use OD, 28.6 Nimbus steel frames, 32.0 KH frames.

The Oracle “may” share the KH OD, but check first. Josh told me last week end that the Oracle has the same ID as the Nimbus steel frames; makes switching parts easier and provides consistency across the “Nimbus line of products”.

David, in the bike world there are many frame OD and ID differences, so much so that it is rare that two bikes can share products, esp across brands. I think you’ll find that unicycling gear has far more crossover than any other gear intensive sport, so having only two seat post sizes is downright awesome!

You can buy an inexpensive slide caliper at Home Depot for $8

This is why I have always been annoyed at the unicycle policy to list seatpost clamps by the ID of the frame and not the OD. It wasn’t really an issue in the past, just inconsistent with the bike world. Now it is a problem since various Nimbus frames with 25.4mm ID have 28.6mm, 30.6mm, or 31.8mm ODs.

31.8mm Same as 32.0mm??

The Salsa QR clamp is sold as a 32mm. Is the 0.2mm difference negligible? Is a 31.8 and a 32.0 essentially the same clamp?

I must be doing something wrong because I hate QR clamps. They never seem to hold the seat post straight, even when I tighten them down a lot. I always end up switching to double bolts like KH or Nimbus. Though my single bolt Impact works great too.

I gave up on quick release after about two weeks of using one. I have now switched from single bolt to double bolt. Even with a single bolt clamp the force of some of the things I do is still too much. The difference in weight between an impact single and double bolt is next to nothing.

I have and use both QR and double bolt. QR is good for setting up a machine for a rider or fooling around with friends.

The bolted works best for my daily ride. Carrying the key isn’t a huge burden if I was worried but it hasn’t moved by itself yet.

Most of my learning was on a QU-AX with a QR. I had so many times taking off and realising the seat was crooked which was a pain when getting started was a bigger deal than it is for me now. Checking the alignment became a ritual every time I dropped it.

QR performance can certainly be degraded if the moving surfaces are not perfectly smooth and lubricated. Any aluminium parts can be quite prone to binding with a slight corrosion building up over time.

And in the end, I like the uncluttered look and easy of operation of the small fixings in a double bolted clamp. It takes very little torque to tighten them allowing the use of a very small key.