Quick release bearing caps - here it is again

Seems like most of you like to add extra steps to fixing a tire, at least 50% of the time you can get away with leaving the wheel in the frame and patching it right there…

(While we are on the topic of bearing caps: A spoke is strong enough to replace the bolts holding bearing caps in, zipties are not sufficient. It will still move a bit, but it’s rideable even up and down hills. Now you know.)

I patch tubes on the road/trail sometimes, but on my bike I always bring an extra tube and just swap it in if I get a flat. Then I throw it in a drawer in my workshop and patch a whole bunch at the same time.

Cool hack! Yes, another issue with bearing cap bolts is that they can drop out while you’re riding or get lost while you’re working on the wheel.

Here is an effective solution to the too tight / too loose bearing problem.

Maybe what is really needed is a lefty unicycle… then you can change tires and tubes without taking anything apart :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Gotta Love this !

OK, thats a good one too!, but you all seem to miss the point of a quick release on a uni/muni. Same frame with disc brake, different wheel/tire combo for different rides and less space to transport them all. Works for me the last 11 years!

I like that idea. Although now you’d have eight pieces of hardware not to lose when you’re trying to fix a flat on the road. Might be worth it on my knurled-bearing Schlumpf so I can really crank it down.

I was mostly joking :slight_smile: I do swap wheels on my bicycle all the time, and can see wanting to do it on unicycles in the future. Even the small amount of time it takes to swap parts around gets annoying when You start doing it one or more times per week.

Ooooh single fork frame… that would be sexy. Easily change tubes and tires without taking anything apart :wink:

I carry spare bolts.

I’ve built a frame with them and rode it for a long time (uni is still ridable, I just dont use it that much anymore).

Thread here. Quick Release Bearing holders (Tested!)

I’d have to look up for the pictures. System worked good, but I’d honnestly rather have a system with one bolt than an actual quick release lever. It never got loose or never got caught in my disk while riding. Took less than a minute to switch a wheel. Pretty fun, but I like my 4 ti bolts better :stuck_out_tongue:

I was kind of wondering about what a quick release would look like. In an older thread I see:

There is also an off the shelf parts list for this one (looks like the same one in service above):

Looks like it is doable and road tested but for some reason has not become very popular. Maybe just too much work to replace the fully serviceable standard bolt on bearing cap.

Gotta Love this !

yes Jim, that’s what I copied, only I made my own screws with swivel links and slotted the stock bottom caps so I have a quick swap out of wheels with the disc. I copied it in 2008 when I was looking for stronger hub ideas because of the breakage of square taper hubs and had only made one frame at the time. I was making my own disc hubs then also and got in the habit of bringing a spare.

That’s the one I have on my Kinetics unicycle. The thing that makes it a little fiddly is that the lever is not attached to the clamp; it has a bolt with a sleeve and washer. When you open the clamp the bolt and washer move around and the whole assembly usually comes off. Then getting it back in is, not exactly difficult, but fiddly to get the tension right.

If it worked a little more solidly I think it would be a pretty obvious improvement.