Quick jumping question

Hi all.
Yahay. I actually managed to jump up a 6cm curb today. Not much compared to some of you, but a major achievement for me.

I have read all the advice on jumping and just have a quick question - I find it very difficult to jump sideways (don’t know why) and always jump forward or just with a slight angle. Is this OK? (This was the question) Or should I be trying to jump sideways? Will it come with practice?

Thanks

Cathy

I think that is just a function of how you learned. I would like to be able to jump forward over obstacles with more proficiency but I learned by jumping sideways. I am slowly learning to hop forward onto objects. Finally, I’ll have to learn to hop to my right which I can barely do at all. Maybe it’s an advantage that you learned to hop forward in that you are less likely to develop a bias toward one side or the other.

Ok cool. Thanks harper.

Cathy

i think its better for trials to be able to hop forward, i practiced hopping sideways to a point where i couldnt hop forawrd anymore without doing a rolling hop and even then it was a very short hop.

Hey, I learned to hop not so long ago and found that I had more confidence jumping forwards at first, it just felt more natural. I think that this makes it more difficult to hop up onto things as you have to jump the distance of the radius of the wheel to get the land with your body over the kerb etc. If you’re sideways on then you only have to jump the width of the tyre which is much easier, and means you can jump up narrow things like steps more easily.
I learned to hop sideways by letting the unicycle topple in the direction you want to hop, then when you hop it naturally goes in that direction. It feels a bit weird at first and you fall off a lot, but the more you let it go off balance the further sideways you will go. I dunno if that’s the right technique but it seemed to work for me, hope that helps!

when i hop i start sideways and twist in the air to a 45ish degree angle when i land on the obstacle. when im dropping i do a full 90 degree hoptwist so i can ride out easily which lightens the strain on my hub alot…(all sidehop btw)

Do whatever feels better. You should be able to do sidehops, but forward hops are useful. When it comes to static hops jumping forward will never be as good as jumping to the side, but it will work. Keep practicing. At 6cm you shouldn’t have yet developed a preference. I didn’t start to prefer jumping to the left until around 20cm.

Re: Quick jumping question

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:36:45 -0600, harper wrote:

>Maybe it’s an advantage that you learned to hop forward in that
>you are less likely to develop a bias toward one side or the other.

…while developing a huge bias for jumping forward as opposed to
backward. :slight_smile:

Cathy, I would recommend to work on sideways jumping too. You don’t
have to jump laterally as much. But don’t lose that forward jump!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort”

OK, thanks everybody. The consensus seems to be to keep jumping forward if that’s what’s comfortable but practice sideways too because eventually that’s what gets the hightest jumps. Is that about right?

Thanks a lot.

Cathy

Well, it deopends on how your jumping. If your doing it rolling hop, forward is beset. If your doing seat in static hop (hopping up and down in one place first) then I doubt forwards or sideways matters much. If your doing seat in front, prehop or no prehop, then sideways is best.

Seat in front side hopping and fast forward rolling hops will get you the highest, but at this point the best for you is probally to just keep practicing what yo can for now.

[qoute]Well, it deopends on how your jumping. If your doing it rolling hop, forward is beset. If your doing seat in static hop (hopping up and down in one place first) then I doubt forwards or sideways matters much. If your doing seat in front, prehop or no prehop, then sideways is best.

Seat in front side hopping and fast forward rolling hops will get you the highest, but at this point the best for you is probally to just keep practicing what yo can for now.

Dude, in Just Conversation your had the kindness to correct my grammar on a post about ski’s and point out that it was not skis, as I had put it. So please allow me to point out your errors here so that maybe you will realise your human and that we all have touble typing and not with our grammar.

deopends = depends
beset = best
prehop = pre-hop
probally = probably
yo = you

Wow, I’m usually not that bad…that’s what happens when you try and type too fast. Sorry.:slight_smile:

(Continuing thread jack)

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:45:15 -0600, Beener wrote:

>deopends = depends
>beset = best
>prehop = pre-hop
>probally = probably
>yo = you

And you missed
your = you’re (multiple times)

BTW, I would have thought that the plural of ski is skis. The rule is
to not use an apostrophe in forming a plural, right? Anyway, skis
occurs much more frequently on the internet than ski’s.

“erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort”

I agree with you. A lot of people seem to throw an apostrophe in if they’re not sure about how to form a plural, usually if the word ends in a vowel. Another common example is video.

OK, so this thread’s taken a hard left turn. I think I’ll take a sharp right turn with it. So, Cathwood, I noticed the new avatar. Cool Gecko but why the change?

It’s only temporary. This is the tattoo I’m having on my foot on friday. My daughter is paying for it as a birthday pressie.

Cathy

Very nice:)

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:39:56 -0600, cathwood wrote:

>My daughter is paying for it as a birthday pressie.

Ah you turned 40? Congratulations Cathy!

I think not until Friday.

Actually, it’s a week on thursday. I’m building up to it gradually.

Cathy