questions please help!!!

I need some answers to some quetions i have .

1 . I have seen many of the unicycle videos that people have posted on their sites and i would like to know what brand or how can i get a unicycle with one of those really fat tires and what is a good size for an intermidiate (not begineer) to use.

2 . I would also like to see some examples of some of the unicycles i talked of in question 1…maybe a link or a picture would be nice

fellow unicyclist
Bryan M

check unicycle.com for unicycles with ‘really fat tires’. the machines in question are used either for trials or muni, depending on wheel size.
trials unicycles tend to have 20x2.5" tires and are made my many, onza and kris holm are some of the favourite brands.
Muni (mountain unicycle) uni’s tend to have either 24" or 26" wheels and either a width of 2.5" or 3.0". suggesting a unicycle all depends on what you ride , if you do alot of trials then definatly a 20 or maybe a 24, and for muni, id say a 24 for strength or a 26 for long distances

sorry if this post isnt very clear, i hope it sheds light on the matter

Thanks alot that helps alot THANKS!

For trials, the jumping onto stuff, you probably want a 20" unicycle with a 2.5" wide tire. Most people use 20" but some use 24". The most important part is not, surprisingly, the frame, its the hub/axle and the crankarms. These are what break when you go off a three foot drop. The best are splined axles. Next are cotterless or tapered. A long time ago some were cottered, but not anymore. DO NOT GET COTTERED. These would only be on super super cheap, old unicycles.

Kris Holm $400. Very popular. Splined hub and crankarms. (since the crankarms attach to the hub they have to be the same)

Summit $? Same hub, crankarms, and rim as the KH (Kris Holm) but a different frame. Slightly heavier? These are no longer in stores but you can find them on Ebay. I just bought one for $202.

Onza $370 About as good as the KH. There is a long post on RSU about those two unicycles. Splined hub.

Nimbus $170 i think. Cottered hub. This is about as low as you want to go for trials. It wont stand up to as much abuse as one of other two unicycles will. Ask how high a jump you want to go off. I don’t know.

Amongst other things.
The Profile hub and crankarms is splined and comes with a lifetime warranty, which you definately pay for. Look on unicycle.com Some of the more expensive unicycles have Profile hubs.

Make sure you get a seat with a handle. I think the general consensus is the KH seat is one of the best, if not the best. Some like the Miyata/Torker better though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3663513901&category=2904

Summit. The last one went for about $210. I recieved an offer the next day to buy another one that he had for $202, my bid.

hey rayden,
when you say the nimbus wont take that much, how much abuse did you mean, u’ve got me worried about pushing my limits now, i rarely have money and im not realy planning on replacing a broken trials wheelset, i want to keep it intact

There’s been a thread about that recently, try doing a search. The nimbus is cotterless, not cottered (typo, I presume, given the subtelty of ‘DO NOT BUY COTTERED’) I’ve got one, and I’ve done 2-3’ drops on it with no problems so far, and I don’t have any interest in doing huge drops, so I’m happy for now. I’d rather get better at going up things. Having said that, many others who may well know more than me will tell you to get a splined setup if you can.

John

why couldnt they have just designed splined hubs first and then we wouldnt all buy tapered and have to dish out again, tssch.
cheers for that, i havent doen any bigger than just over 3’ yet but i had some bigger drops eyed up that ive always wanted to go back to.
im reluctant to go breaking my wheel again, after i assumed my parents would support my hobby last time. lol.

Oops. Yeah Nimbus are cotterless. I am not aware of any unicycles being made today that are cottered. Sorry about that.

I haven’t had any experience with Nimbus. I am only repeating what I have said.

The reason splined aren’t the standard is because they are much more expensive to make today.

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:41:10 -0600, BryanM wrote:

>what is a good size for
>an intermidiate (not begineer) to use.

Size? Do you mean tyre width, wheel diameter or unicycle height?

Anyways, virtually any size is good for an intermediate rider. 3" wide tyres are no problem. Wheel diameters from ‘too’ small (12" or less) up to at least Coker (36") are no problem. Giraffes up to 6’, maybe 8’, are no problem. Just stay away from trying to ride Sem Abrahams’ 115 feet high giraffe for a while! :slight_smile:

Klaas Bil

I posted this 16 hours ago but the gateway once more doesn’t work so I repost directly at the forum. Sh*t!!

Re: questions please help!!!

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:41:10 -0600, BryanM wrote:

>what is a good size for
>an intermidiate (not begineer) to use.

Size? Do you mean tyre width, wheel diameter or unicycle height?

Anyways, virtually any size is good for an intermediate rider. 3" wide
tyres are no problem. Wheel diameters from ‘too’ small (12" or less)
up to at least Coker (36") are no problem. Giraffes up to 6’, maybe
8’, are no problem. Just stay away from trying to ride Sem Abrahams’
115 feet high giraffe for a while! :slight_smile:

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“Heck, even my toes were aching from trying to grip the soles of my shoes! - Tommy Thompson”