Questions about mounts

So, I can reliably do a static free mount onto my 29er (with some hesitation if it’s been a few months), but I just recently realized that I can only do it with one foot. Is this a problem?

Obviously being able to do more things on a unicycle is better than not, but any time I spend on learning to freemount with my non-dominant foot is less time I can spend on other stuff. So far I haven’t felt limited by this so I feel like it’s not very important, but I’d like to hear what other people think.

If this isn’t a priority then what mount(s) should I learn next? I primarily do a mix of muni and commuting, but I’m hoping to start learning some basic trials and street skills. It seems like the most practical next mount would be the rolling mount (where you mount while the unicycle is rolling forwards, not the one where it rolls back underneath you) followed possibly by the jump to SIF mount (though I’m not yet comfortable riding SIF so obviously that’s a prerequisite). Does this sound like the right order to learn things?

Finally, I’m in the process of getting a 20" trials uni. My understanding is it’s generally faster to learn new tricks on a smaller uni then translate them to a larger one. Does this apply to mounts as well, or is there enough of a difference that I’ll have to basically relearn the mounts for each uni?

Learning the other foot will probably help your riding in general but it’s not necessarily something you’d use every day. I’m reminded now that the last time I did a “wrong foot mount” was about a year ago - I really should practice it more.

A rolling mount is most useful if you have a big wheel with short cranks. I’m not sure it would be that useful on your 29er, although it’s fun to try new things.

Mounting a 20 after a 29 will feel weird at first. You’ll probably jump right over it. The first time I mounted my small wheel (26) after six months of 36er riding I jumped way too hard and fell flat on my face :o

Exploring differences…has been a huge factor in my improvement on the unicycle. Changing some variable in unicycling, such as wheel-size, crank-length, seat-post-height, pedals, seat-angle, tire-pressure, or performing the same basic techniques using different riding styles…always seems to result in me learning something new on the unicycle. (Note: I don’t change everything all at once.) Anyway, I’d say that performing a mount on your “weak” side constitutes exploring differences, and to the extent that this makes you a better rider, you should do it. I suggest learning to mount both ways on your new 20", then applying that skill, later on, to the 29". Good luck!

The moment you have injury on your dominant leg it can be of use, but by then it also may be good to ease it down a bit. So: not really a problem.

I call that “PWM”…Persistent Wheel Memory

If you ride muni on your 29’r, learning a rolling mount will be useful when you need to mount on an uphill section of the trail.
It’s useful to learn “opposite-foot” mounting, even if you rarely use it in a regular riding situation. It will help you be a better rider in general.

cheers!

A couple people so far have said learning to mount on my opposite side would help my riding, but I’m having trouble seeing where it would benefit me. As far as I can tell it seems to be one of those skills that doesn’t transfer well (as evidenced by the fact that being comfortable with one foot seems to benefit to the other one).

LanceB: Currently I always static mount and that includes uphill sections, but those are certainly harder than flat or downhill ones. How does the rolling mount make them easier? If it can really make a big difference there then it definitely sounds like something I should focus on.

lightbulbjim: How come the rolling mount helps there? I’m having difficulty imaging that being any easier than a static mount.

Actually, after doing some more reading I see that apparently the moment can make it a lot easier. Well, I think I have another thing to work on now.

Similarly, I stuck with the leg on which I first learned to do a free mount. That worked well for moderate rides, but as I started doing longer distances in an urban setting with lots of forced stopping and remounting, the toll on the knee that was always absorbing weight on the receiving pedal started to be an issue, and after pushing myself a bit past 20 miles one night I had to cut back drastically and only took a few light rides with that knee constantly complaining for the rest of the fall.

So one of my goals for this spring is to learn to mount on the other side, so I can spread the impact. Either that or learn to idle :wink:

Yes, it’s the momentum in the rolling mount that helps on uphill mounts. But if you don’t need it, well, so much the better. Personally, it helps me a lot. (But then, I’m a pretty mediocre rider. :stuck_out_tongue: )

As far as learning to mount with the non-dominant foot improving your riding, pretty much anything you learn makes you a better rider, whether it shows up in a particular movement or not. But you don’t have to learn it, there are plenty of other skills to work on.

Cheers!

“being able to do more things on a unicycle is better than not” isn’t so obvious to serious people with serious obligations. Should I learn trials, develop an artistic routine, or ride the next Unitour? It’s up to you. As they say, all those tricks, plus paying your full fare, will get you a ride on the subway.

We mostly unicycle for fun, some to stay in shape, personally I find it the one exercise I want to do consistently over many years.

You’re wanting to learn some cool mounts. Go for it!

I’m the worst at mounts, and it didn’t hurt me at NAUCC or UNICON. I actually do the “rock back, catch balance, then pedal forward” mount on my 36", such a newbie feat I doubt anyone else riding many years does it. Should I learn other mounts? Some might say yes, but their opinion won’t matter to me.