Question from a new Uni crasher

Hey Gang,

While there’s no such thing a stupid question, here goes:

How do I measure proper saddle height?

Is there a formula?

Thanks

I’m pretty sure you just have to try and find what is comfortable. a lower seat is better for trials while a higher seat is better for long riding.

-sam

The reason there is no formula is saddle height changes with crank length. Start with an almost straight leg on the crank going straight down, from there go with what feels comfortable.

Hey Weegz,
Glad to see you’re still workin’ at it. I found that (for me) I set my saddle height similar to the formula used on bicycles.
Sit on the saddle with the pedals at 6 and 12 o’clock and adjust the height so that your heel just touches the lower pedal (usual bike setting) then I lower the saddle about 1/2" from that setting to allow a little cushion to “float” above the saddle
We really need to get together so I can give you a few pointers and change that piece of crap saddle you’re on. That alone may help quite a bit!!

Rog-o Kenny

I’m committed to tonight’s “Friends of McAllister Park” meeting, but one night maybe I can take a ride out.

Tanx

The only rule of thumb that I’m aware of, and which only seems to apply to learners is that when you leg is fully extended it should be slightly bent at the knee.

When riding trials and muni the saddle is generally set lower to allow some room to obsorb the terrain.

Cheers,
Jason

When learning, I found that I was constantly changing the height of my seat. Mostly it went up, but a few times it went down a bit. I’d say that this helped me learn. It was the same when I changed between wheel sizes. It seemed like each time I tried something new, something in me snapped into place and I was better for it.

Daniel

Re: Question from a new Uni crasher

i love unscientific, non-quantifiable yet (for me) real handy formulas

when tying into my end of the climbing rope, i hold the end in one hand and straighten my arm to the side
where it touches my opposite shoulder i start my fig 8 knot

when i stand my uni next to me, the bottom rim of the seat (at the back) is halfway between my hip-joint and the upper edge of the pelvic bone (krisna i think it’s called)
(for freestyle - when i want to do some hoppity-type stuff, it nestles in below the hip-joint)

when i stand behind my raffie, the same bottom rim of the seat is between my chin and my lower lip

if u want to use any of these body parts to measure yours, just send me the plane-ticket

:slight_smile:

Re: Question from a new Uni crasher

GILD <GILD.qcxtd@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

> when tying into my end of the climbing rope, i hold the end in one hand
> and straighten my arm to the side
> where it touches my opposite shoulder i start my fig 8 knot

I measure from my head to the floor for my fig 8…

> when i stand my uni next to me, the bottom rim of the seat (at the back)
> is halfway between my hip-joint and the upper edge of the pelvic bone
> (krisna i think it’s called)
> (for freestyle - when i want to do some hoppity-type stuff, it nestles
> in below the hip-joint)

… and I use the “leg slightly bent on the bottom pedal, and a bit
lower for hopping” method.

Bit I think next time I go climbing or adjust my saddle I’ll try your
ways out of curiosity to see if they work for me. :slight_smile:

Nick Grey