question for long distance riders

I need to buy some tools to bring with me on long distance rides, to tighten my cranks every now and then and tighten my pedals. Will the crank arm puller also tighten the cranks here:

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=731

Does that repair kit look like a good purchase? I dont have anythign to take my cranks off, so I will need the crank puller definitely, and I need a small wrench to bring with me as well.
How does this repair kit compare to just bringing an adjustable wrench, and a socket wrench with me.

Tools

I don’t know exactly how your cranksa re attached (being new to the sport) but my old 24" cyclpro cranks were a 10mm bolt. I used a small wrench, closed ends, double sided, one end 8mm, the other 10mm, that came with a snowboarding tool I got a few years ago. Snowboard shops might have something like that for boarders. It’s small, flat, fits in a wallet or pouch, or in my case, the 8mm end is on my key ring.

Re: question for long distance riders

No, that looks like a kit for taking off cranks, but Ican’t see anything in there that will tighten them- you’ll need a socket wrench for that.

The pullers good though, that’s the type I use.

Just in case you’re as stupid as me, I’ll give you an invaluable crank removal tip- if, when the pullers screwed on, the crank seems really tight, check to see that you’ve remembered to take off the crank nuts first- I’ve twice fallen for this easy-to-make mistake :slight_smile:

Re: Re: question for long distance riders

If the crank bolts are 14 mm then the socket on the end of the crank puller will suffice for both tightening and loosening. There are flats on the puller tool for the wrench. It’s tough to do but possible. The key is to push down on the puller as you pull up on the end of the wrench.

With a 6" wrench you’ll need to pull and push with about 120 lbs to get it tight enough (assumes an effective 4" wrench). Padding for your hands helps tremendously. Sometimes just pressing down on the wrench with your foot is enough, but most of the time the socket or wrench will just come off.

I won’t used an adjustable unless I can’t find the proper socket or closed end - it’s to easy to damage the nut or bolt. :astonished: :angry: :frowning: Besides, any socket wrench will have better torque.

You’ll also want a pump or co2 inflator.

Re: Re: question for long distance riders

I have imagined with above I WAS SPECIAL.U have diabused me from this assumption.
I have done it few times but once I have destroyed puller and the crank thread.:wink: :wink:

Re: question for long distance riders

I bring the equivalent, minus the crank tool, with me on every ride. I don’t anticipate needing to pull my cranks on the average ride, so instead I focus on the tools for things that likely will need adjusting. An allen wrench for each size fitting on my cycle, a crescent wrench for the pedals, tire removal tool, patch kit, mini-pump. As of today, my distance tool kit also includes a mini-can of “fix a flat” made for bicycles. Not sure how well it works, but if the alternative is trying to get my Coker tire off an airfoil rim out by the side of the trail, I’ll try it.

I also have one of those “Crash Packs” unicycle.com sells, in the event of road rash opportunities.

I always carry:

Small pump.
Crank tool (with built in 14 mm socket to remove the nut; available from any good bike shop.)
16 mm spanner to operate crank tool.
15 mm spanner to tighten pedals.
10 and 11 mm spanners (fit bearing holder nuts, and seat bolts. Some unis one size, some the other.)
Flat blade screw driver (for removing dust caps.)
Cross point screwdriver (tightening seat bumpers).
(In fact, I have a double ended screwdriver)
Set of three tyre levers.
Puncture kit.
Allen keys (although, now I think about it, I took the Allen bolt seat clamp off and put the old QR back on, so I could save weight there!)

I find responsible riders and tag along with them. Some of them carry food and water as well as tools!

Aha, one who admits it! For riders like you, I always carry one or more $5 Cotterless Crank Nuts. They’re real cheap in the bike shop or at the car, but on the trail they’re worth $5! I guess now I’ll have to add a cotterless crank bolt, though I suppose those are less likely to fall off?

On MUni rides I carry a small pump (fits presta and schrader), a multi-tool that contains 4,5, and 6mm hexes and screwdrivers, a Swiss Army knife, and often a 14mm Park crank wrench. Plus some tiny tire patch kits.

The exact tools you need will depend on your unicycle. My last two new high-end unicycles have both forced me to buy new tools to take off their bearing holders. The Wilder and the GB4 both use non-metric bolts. WHY???