Question about move in Universe

Having owned Universe for a while now I’ve watched it about a zillion times, and gotten a lot of new ideas for my trials riding. Most non-unicyclists I show the movie to don’t understand how any of it is possible. I’m able to do a lot of the moves in the movie, and am always working on the ones I can’t do. However, there is one move which completely baffles me. The move is when Dan Heaton lets go of the fork, then somehow swings it back up to himself. He does this, and stops the fork right before hitting that guy’s crotch who’s lying down (or maybe it does hit him? I can’t really tell for sure). There’s also a really short shot of him doing it and letting it pass under and behind him, and then swinging it back up again. During this shot I paused it, and while the seat is passing under him he lifts one foot off the pedal, and for a half second he is simply standing on one pedal with the pedals horizontal and the seat behind him. Someone please explain how these moves are possible. It looks as if he leans his weight back while still-standing to swing the fork back up, but I don’t understand this, considering the fork is not controlled by the pedals or the wheel.

Hey Rockey,

The move is called a “toe stall” or a “magician”…

I switch my feet to the cranks so when the frame is dropped I can catch it on the top of my foot. There is still a little room to move the cranks back and forth which allows you to swing it up.

The move where I swing it through my legs is also made possible because my foot is on the crank.

Hope that helps. The move isn’t too hard to get down.

A cool vatiation to make it more street oriented is to air onto something and in mid-air switch your feet the cranks and basically land in the move.

Later,
-Dan

I don’t have Universe… Anybody got a clip of that trick?

A clip will only get you a clip. If you’re serious about improving as a rider, you should just get the video. Sure some (most) of it is beyond the average joe or jane’s ability, but there are lots of skills demonstrated that mere mortals can work up to.

Plus it is just plain %ss-kicking riding…as good as it gets. I regularly ride down at Gasworks Park just to be near the leftover aura from the day these guys rode there.

Im an average joe, and most of it is beyond my ability… But im working on it! :smiley:

Joe,

I find Dan and Adam’s moves to be possible in especially low-gravity environments only (like my imagination and the moon). Otherwise I’m still quite convinced that half of that shiznit is completely impossible. Sorry, you just can’t believe everything you see in the movies…

it’s been said before
i thought it about time to say it again

this thread made me smile
if only because u wont see tiger woods posting a reply to a question about his approach on the 14th during th @%$ tournament

i know, i know
i’m still smiling

:slight_smile:

Re: Question about move in Universe

> A clip will only get you a clip. If you’re serious about improving as a
> rider, you should just get the video. Sure some (most) of it is beyond
> the average joe or jane’s ability, but there are lots of skills
> demonstrated that mere mortals can work up to.
I feel embarassed to admit, to illustrate this, but as a newcomer to uni,
I saw no special usefulness in hopping until I got that video…

>
> Plus it is just plain %ss-kicking riding…as good as it gets. I
> regularly ride down at Gasworks Park just to be near the leftover aura
> from the day these guys rode there.

Really, this video is an hour of absolute insanity. I could barely find
enough expletives in my vocabulary to keep up with my disbelief
(unfortunately I was with my 3 year old son who greatly expanded is
vocabulary that evening and reminds me since…)

The crash section at the end shows you that they are only human,
albeit a more solid brand of humans…

Some of the moves in UNiVERsE are pretty insane. But UNiVERsE 2 is coming out in october!! i’ve been talking to dan and i’ve seen a few clips that are going to be in it. its going to be ridiculously better than the first one. just wait!

Kevin

I can’t wait. I want it now. Please! --chirokid–

I c’ant wait either - m_extreme_uni

Re: Question about move in Universe

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:10:08 -0400, “Oana et Jocelyn”
<oana.banu@videotron.ca> wrote:

>(unfortunately I was with my 3 year old son who greatly expanded is
>vocabulary that evening and reminds me since…)

LOL! An unforeseen eduational side effect from watching Universe with
your kid.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“the helmet is to protect the brain, not replace it. - iunicycle”