Question about endurance

Ugh, today trail riding in snow, sliding around, and dealing with soft frost heave spots. 2 miles not including a few crashes

Thanks for that - reassuring as I’m thinking about trying to get to an XC ski marathon event again this season, but I haven’t even been on my roller skis in months. Every time I consider it I end up going for a muni ride instead! It’s nice to know that fitness from muni should give me a bit of a head start with the skiing.

I have noticed that I seem to be maintaining quite decent running fitness (for off-road running) despite doing very little run training - mostly just riding unis of various types (apart from the muni I’m busy working on learning to ride a guni road 29er comfortably). I doubt very much that a non-runner could train to run just from riding unis, but with a 20 year background of run training, the fitness does seem to translate - much better than bike fitness ever did.

Don’t forget to breathe. I found myself holding my breath on the more technical or powering uphill. It will tire you out quick if you’re not breathing right and getting enough oxygen to power your lungs.

Okay, well thanks for the outpouring of information guys! Thinking about how I ride, I realize that one of my biggest issues is stopping when I get a bit tired. Like was pointed out, I need to keep pushing myself past this threshold if I want to get better.

So part II of my question:

It’s December. It snowed ~10" yesterday and I’m not knowledgable enough about trail ettiqoute to know when it’s okay to go ride. I don’t want to hit mud once the snow begins to melt and be tearing up trails, but I also am wary of riding snow like this without a fat tire. What would you guys do?

Sorry, no biking experience and this is my first year of winter riding…:o

Generally it’s hard for unicycles to tear up trails; skidding is difficult compared to biking (or walking, for that matter). But it depends on the soil in your area; some soils drain well and are fine when they’re wet, while others can sustain serious damage if anyone uses them while they’re wet. Your best bet is to talk to your local bike group about trail conditions.

Try looking for places where people walk their dogs. Riding on packed snow can be a lot of fun, no conflict with skiers, and no need for a fat tire if the snow is packed down. Just watch out for Spring conditions when that packed snow can turn into very slippery uneven ice (that’s how I broke my leg last winter).

Not my thread, but to build my legs, I will do a muní course in sections, SIF. It’s quite horrible, but helps my old legs handle hills in normal trail riding.

Riding in the snow is usually no problem because the ground is frozen, the problem comes when it’s muddy and wet. If the trail is soft, even if your on a unicycle, you create trenches in the trail. The water then starts to flow through the trenches which accelerates the erosion considerably.

I’ve found non uni training very helpful in building up and maintaing my Muni muscles. Even if I could ride enough that would not be enough alone.

I have a cantilever style rowing machine (most are on a rolling track) that works those leg muscles better than any other machine I’ve tried. I alternate a half hour on the rower one day and all core the next. If I’m trying to get a big boost in my fitness, I’ll do two + sessions a day, 1-2 times a week each (rower & abs) seems enough for maintenance.

This gives me a great baseline, also works those glutes, upper hamstrings and core muscles that don’t seem to be worked enough by riding alone but I need to ride well.

SIF gives a great leg workout and a good on uni exercise (technique wise WAY better than my exercises) but doesn’t work quite the same muscles and the technique is a bit different for hills. Provided the muscles have the needed strength/endurance there is no substitute for hills. If u can’t get to the trails, road climbs will suffice.

Telemark and unicycling are my primary sports. I find that unicycling is great pre season conditioning, I literally feel like I can tele better and longer, none of that early season leg pain.

I just got back from a ski trip in Vermont, tele’d hard for a few days. Prior to unicycling this would have been a painful couple of days with a week of recovery, but I didn’t have any leg fatigue to speak of and the day I got back I went for a big muni ride :slight_smile:

I don’t train for uni, I just ride a lot. My rides tend to be shorter in the Winter due to lack of daylight after work, so I mix in some night hiking when I can’t night ride.

Interesting to see so many of us have freed our heels (apart from the XC ski racing I mention above I’ve also toured and if I found myself on a downhill slope would choose to tele). But then I guess we’ve all freed our minds.