Question about bearings! (man, I'm just full of questions on these forums...)

Okay, there are two typical bearing sizes: 17x40x12 and 22x42x12. These are square tapered and ISIS, respectively. Now, what if I get a a 22x40x12? Would I be able to run an ISIS hub in my 40mm bearing cup frame? I mean, it makes perfect sense… Right?

yes. that is why that size exists.

but if you have stamped (not machined) bearing holders you can just use the regular ISIS bearings. I did that for years trouble free.

Yeah, what Eric said. What frame are you hoping to put the ISIS hub in?

A Coker Big One. The older steel model that has stupid 95mm bearing distance. Not 100mm, the standard. Haha. I was just wondering if I was able to broaden my selection of hubs to use. But, the ISIS hubs are a bit pricey. I’m only using this uni for commuting. No heavy duty stuff, so square tapered would work fine. T’was just a random question. Which brings me to another question: Where could I find a cheap 36" complete wheelbuild with a 100mm center to center bearing distance? The cheapest I’ve found for 100% complete build is about $400(including cranks and pedals), and that’s pretty steep, seeing that I don’t need all of this heavy duty hardware and what-not. The only rim that UDC sells is the Nimbus Stealth2 rim which. If you know anyone, or if you have a 36" wheel, by all means, when I get enough money I’ll gladly purchase it. Thanks!
-Micah

Coker used to have a really good deal on their wheels but they don’t any more. I actually think it was a pricing mistake (you pay for a rim and get a wheel)

With the prices of 36" components right now I can’t see you getting a complete wheel for less than $350. I would keep an eye on the trading post on this forum as that is probably your best bet to find a deal on a used 36" wheel.

This wheel is still available. Give me $200 for it?

bearing

I know this thread is old…very old but it says that 22x40x12 does exist…I cant find two…does anybody know who sells these? thanks…

UDC UK still sells them, it is a KH bearing kit with 2 bearings and a shim. I believe you need new spacers to go with it as well.

Or since you are in the states, you might as well get them from the US UDC

http://www.unicycle.com/unicycle-hardware/bearings/22-x-40-mm-bearing.html

The various UDC venders are really your only choice as these are a real odd-ball size that you won’t find anywhere else.

Here they are!

bearings

thanks…everybody…I overlooked them at udc first time I looked …but, second time there they were…got some.