Quadricep Cramping On Downhill!

I remember thinking the very same thing when I was twenty three, let’s see, that was in 1988. Hey Napalm, when were you born ? My wife got a nice giggle out of your comment as well, she turns fifty this year and all she had to say was: “he is absolutely right” then she started laughing :slight_smile:

So, back on topic: I am an anti-stretcher by nature, have generally considered the idea of stretching as unwise and silly, instead I “warm up”.

The idea of GTO release while riding is interesting and I am playing with the concept, though I think there is a limit as to what can be done while unicycling, in part due to the constant muscle tension, but also for muni it is not often that there is a place to truly relax unless you have a nice piece of flat single tracks or you are really good at gliding :smiley:

I have dreams of riding a multi day off road challenge like the one in British Columbia, just not so sure that my legs will allow it; but I’ll keep trying.

I can almost remember turning forty. Thirty? Nah, that was way too long ago. :roll_eyes:

Scott

No you really can’t “rest” while riding a unicycle. At least not in the way I’m talking about with running. Just soft pedaling isn’t enough, I know all about that. What I’m talking about is being able to use entirely different muscles groups like you can on a cross-country type run (hilly routes). In fact the most beaten up I’ve ever been on a run has been on predominately flat routes because there’s no or little opportunity to change muscle groups other than switching from running to walking.

I think my only solution is to get back to running a.s.a.p.! :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, I’m going to need to figure out how to be able to ride high, rough terrain mileage on a daily basis as I have a huge mountain unicycling goal pending within the next few years that I want to execute. But hopefully when I start training for that I’ll also be able to mix in a lot of running as well.

Any interest in doing a multi day ride in BC?

http://www.bcbikerace.com/registration/epic-or-challenge

I think KH did the Epic a couple years back. That’s a bit much for me, esp for seven days back to back, but I’d be up for the Challenge.

It would be amazing to have a group of muni riders do it together :smiley:

I’m thinking the same, start mixing things up a bit. Are you into low heeled shoes?

http://www.naturalrunningstore.com/products/Men's-Altra-Running%252dLone-Peak.html

I’m running in NB NT 100 now, which work fine until they break down at 100 miles. Prev ran in Brooks Cascadia, which last fine, but are a little firm.

I wish, but that’s the time line when my wife and I plan on running the UltraBalaton 212k in Hungary and then touring eastern Europe with some friends. :frowning:

However I do really want to prepare for my dream multi-day goal so I’ll probably do something closer to home. I’m thinking 3 x 50km days on the Georgia Pinhoti Trail. I know the trail fairly well from fast packing it in record time last year. Georgia side is open to non-motorized wheeled traffic
and would be the perfect venue. There is ~70 mile section of unbroken trail that would be fun to do an out and back on, unipacking style or with minimal crew.

I’ve been running in minimalist shoes for many years now after having significant issues from traditional “clunky” trail running shoes. Has made all the difference. Mostly running in the Inov-8 line right now. X-Talon 212 is probably the best trail shoe I’ve ever worn. Not completely decided on what to use on the roads, probably will experiment with the new Altra running shoes, Merrel Road Glove or perhaps the new Brooks “Pure” line… For training and racing Badwater I really liked the Hoka Bondi B. Yes they’re big “clown shoes” but only have 4mm heel-to-toe drop but massive amount of cushioning. Totally helped my legs hold together during all the high mileage training and 135 miles of blistering hot roads at the race.

*update

Ok so I’m fairly convinced now that I’m not cramping. I think it feels more like a strained or pulled muscle. My symptoms are very like several years ago when I was fixed gear mountain biking very heavily. After a long, steep hill climb (in the too high a gear of course) my quads locked up just like they’re doing now. Turns out that I had a small muscle tear in one of my quads. Ended up just having to avoid riding/running any downhills for a few weeks and then gradually ease back into them.

So I with the heavy miles I’ve been unicycling and all the hills I’ve been doing I think I overdid it and damaged or tore my quad muscle right above the knee. While I’m asymptomatic even riding long on the flats, as soon as I apply any heavy braking power with the leg I start feeling the twinges.

Just need to chill out for a while and stay flat. Even on a fairly mild double hill climb today I had issues! Darn! :angry: