Qu-ax giraffe vs Club 5 giraffe

I want to buy a giraffe but am deciding between 2 that are around the same price and i’m not sure which one to pick------any opinions!?

How is the durability for either in a normal urban riding environment?

1 is cheaper but is the extra $20 worth it?

Cons?

Differences?

Note the links below:

Qu-ax giraffe

Club 5 giraffe

Did you calculate the cost including shipping?

When looking at Qu-ax unis, don’t forget about Goudurix Unicycles (Canada). They’re a great dealer for Qu-ax, and shipping to the USA is no problem. Sometimes cheaper than domestic (oddly). (Especially if you’re relatively close to them, like Michigan.)

Here’s the Qu-ax giraffe available in aluminum: http://www.goudurix.com/us/giraffe-5-aluminium.html

Aluminum what? The frame looks awfully skinny to be aluminum, and Goudrix seems to offer zero information about the cycle. I’d never buy a product of that type with so little detail being offered…

Why not? all Information is on the Qu-Ax webside.
https://www.qu-ax.de/en/product/qx-giraffe-alloy

If it’s a good as the other QX unicycles, it shall be a great giraffe.

Twin chain Girafe is better than single chain, much more stable and may be less backlash

Interesting - I assumed it was more of an issue with heavy use, as most people seem to happily use single chain giraffes. I actually own a twin chain (bought s/h, it was what was available), but wasn’t sure if there was a real benefit.

That should have occurred to me, duh. If I knew the information and the other vendor had a (much) better price, why not? But if the price is in the same ball park, I’m going to buy it directly from the maker, if I can. Support the manufacturers and designers!

True. But I still don’t think it has an aluminum frame. Missing from the Qu-Ax product description is the word aluminum (or the British aluminium). The only word used is “alloy”. That meas it could be steel, which I believe is an alloy on its own. More likely, it’s chromoly. But who knows, since it doesn’t say? Might be the same material on everybody else’s giraffes. Also I’d like to see a little more detail of that frame. Can’t even tell what the crown looks like… :roll_eyes:

But a steel alloy makes a lot more sense for a frame with that size of tubing. I think aluminum at that size would be quick to snap, just above the bottom bracket.

I think the two main benefits are:
[LIST=1]

• Looks cooler, more complex, and more professional
  • Torque is more evenly distributed throughout the drivetrain, including the frame [/LIST]So a dual chain giraffe should be stronger and more reliable. You are much, much less likely to be grounded by a broken chain, which matters a lot if you're a performer. But it's also definitely going to be heavier, which may "outweigh" the desire to have it. If the frame is beefy enough, it shouldn't be an issue unless you are a heavy person, and/or you're doing lots of catapult-style mounts or other use, such as riding people on your shoulders, etc.

My first “owned” unicycle was a Schwinn Giraffe, which has a very well-made frame. I learned how to do a one-foot catapult/rolling mount onto it, which led to a bent seatpost, but never any issues with the frame or drivetrain. 5’ giraffes are less prone to frame problems because they are shorter, which also allows them to be lighter. But of course they aren’t as tall…

• The english description is not so good. On the german version of the website, they say, it’s aluminum.

5,5kg (12,1 lbs) would not be possible using steel i think

Looking at the shadow i would say, it’s an “A”-type frame

That Quax Giraffe is one of the coolest looking giraffes I have seen. Generally I would not look twice at one.

Wow! It does look cool. I’m still amused at how the only images we’re seeing of it are from exactly the same angle.

An aluminum frame sounds cool, but I wouldn’t recommend it for any heavy riding. It’s nice to have a giraffe that’s a little lighter, but they don’t tend to be that light due to their larger sizes.

I definitely want to try one out if I’m ever in the same room with one… :slight_smile:

FYI: parallel discussion with Qu-Ax on FB: https://www.facebook.com/unicycles/photos/a.179123809180.122707.178595524180/10153153617164181/?type=3

Why twin chain? No, why not twin/dual chain…

I don’t think I will ever want a dual chain drive giraffe.

I once had the frame collapse on a 5 foot standard single chain giraffe while riding on cobbles. In a split second I found myself intertwined in the bent frame, chain, chainring, cog, and wheel.

For a couple years after the scars healed up I looked tattooed from the chainring, chain, cog, oil, grease, and dirt impregnated under the skin. Fortunately only one leg had sprocket marks and cuts down most of its length. If the giraffe had been dual chain I imagine the potential damage to my body might be double or more. It took a lot of explaining to the wife to convince her a giraffe was safe to ride again let alone do daily commutes on.

Joe Myers

1 Like