Qu-ax Cross 20inch

Period of ownership: 2 weeks
Riding experience: 3 months (mainly freestyle and trials basics)
Previous uni’s: Cheap “made in Taiwan” no-name brand.
Supplier: www.oddwheels.co.za

Okay, so thats just to put this review into perspective.

Delivery

Allan from Oddwheels was a great help, offering advice and putting up with numerous phonecalls of indecisiveness. He kindly allowed GILD (from these forums) to bring the uni down for me so to save on shipping costs. The contents where nestled tightly inside the box, with no rattling.

Components

(Sorry about the carpet - Only realised after I assembled the uni)

Compared to my other uni, there is no comparison with all the individual parts. every aspect is an upgrade. included in the box were 4 booklets (2 english and 2 german) advertising the Qu-ax product range, outlining the various types of unicycling, tips on learning to ride, and assembly instructions. For first time uni assemblers, the instructions could have been more detailed.

The seat is KH style, with front handle and rear bumper. the handle is extremely comfortable. compared to my other uni’s seat, this seat feels like a pillow.

The seat post clamp is double bolted (correct terminology?), requiring an allen key. Quick release would be a nice feature.

BMX style pedals are heavy. the little pins/studs make them grippy, but shoes are necessary.

I cannot compare the other components, as I haven’t ridden any other uni’s.

Riding

This uni has ISIS hubs and cranks. I cannot comment on the strength, except to say that it is still as good as new after repeated half metre drops. There was a rattling sound coming from the hub, which Allan said is due to a pair of spacers between the cranks and frame. they seem to serve no purpose, other than to rattle. Allan has removed them from his cross, with no ill effect.

The colours are awesome, and the fatter 2.5 inch tire thankfully reduces the “clown vehicle” stigma. And, it has Flames on the frame :sunglasses:

I don’t have any other comments to make at the moment, due to my lack of riding experience. If anybody has specific questions, please post them here and I will answer as best I can.

Great review. =p

Once you start doing some bigger drops, report back in. A lot of us are interested in the strength of this red ISIS hub and cranks.

I liked your carpet. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a very good unicycle for a very good price, nice pictures.

One thing though, you said you’re running a 2.5" tire, it’s a 20 x 2.25 Maxxis Tire “Maxx Daddy”, slightly smaller but still nice and bouncy.

Thats my favorite part of getting a new unicycle. Opening the box and putting it together :roll_eyes:

Too bad every unicycle I buy comes already assembled.

uh-oh guys, it has a “fragile” sticker on the box. That’s a bad sign.

Just checked on that. You are correct. I read too quickly in my excitement. My apologise:o

Will certainly do that. Give me a month:)

I’m too late to edit my first post, but here are the specs from Oddwheel:

PS - They made an error with the tire size, which I have corrected.

I’d much rather have a double-bolt clamp. Quick releases get loose to easily, they’re too big and bulky, and they break. On my old uni, I’d always get cut on the inside of my leg from the sharp edge where the quick release broke off… Of couse, I got that uni for $20 used… I don’t know how well the kid treated it. But still, quick releases are a pain. Be glad you have a 2 bolt :wink:

so it’s a twenty inch?

Now thats pretty, are they now using hte smaller saddles?

From what i can tell, it seems like it.

Well, Take it apart and put it back together! Twice the fun.:slight_smile:

Yeah, I have that saddle, it’s great. And holds up just as strong as like… the KH and stuff… haha.

the double bolt seat clamp is good. your seat doesn’t get knocked loose if you fall. i am thinking of getting that uni, thanks for the great review.

Ye, but it also comes in a 24" model.

I’ve realised now how often I used to twist my saddle left/right after falls. Double seat clamp is a definately a keeper!

Hope you found it useful. If you end up buying the cross, feel free to add your thoughts here.

I like the smell of a fresh opened unicycle box:D

Does anyone else notice that the saddle looks similar to the Nimbus Gel saddle? Is the saddle on the Qu-Ax feel good after continous riding?

yeh feels fine its the saddle i ride for like an hour or 2 a day on a dry day and very comfortable, i never thought any thin saddles would be but i think they all are very comfortable, great review of a great uni!

Hub strength update

People have asked me to compare the hub strength to other splined unis. well, this is the only splined uni I have ridden. So, here are the “records” (not much compared to what you other nutters do) set on the cross:

Crank grab - The cranks get scuffed pretty bad, pretty quick. I assume this is normal though.

Side hop: Uni remains happy after side hopping down a 5 set.

Stairs: Same 5 set does nothing to uni (not sure if it should)

drop: just over a metre/3 feet.

Nothing else I do could really tests the cross. I am still very happy with my purchase. I will post again when I gain a foot or 2 in drop height.

UPDATE:

The hub is slightly bent:(

I dropped about 4ft a number of times. I only noticed the slight wobble after I rode a friends uni. The damage does not influence my riding, but it does define the cross’s limits, at least with my technique. I just won’t be dropping anything above 3ft anymore.

in other words it sucks?