PSA: Having problems with a creaking hub?

Creak, or squeak?

OK, I’ve begun to notice a very high-pitched squeak every pedal revolution, climbing, on flat, and downhill. It does not make this noise when I just spin the the unweighted wheel.

It does not sound like spokes creaking, but as high-pitched as a cricket chirp, or even higher pitch. Is this what you originally heard, Ben? Does this coincide with others’ problems?

The 29er had a higher pitched squeak like you’re describing, the Surly was a creaking like a hinge, which makes me think wheel size has something to do with sound transmission/pitch.

The Surly/KH hub creaking sounds a lot like a loose/worn crank, so I tried three different cranks that were all fresh, installed them with grease and the creaking remained unchanged. Same thing with the 29er, different cranks did not change the sound. I also played with the spoke tensions and looked for broken spokes, but to no avail.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say, since changing out hubs on my 29er and Surly, the creaking noise is completly gone.

Mine started this creaking about two months after purchase. UDC replaced hub w/ no questions asked. My problem is that I have to disassemble and reassemble the wheel or pay someone else to. I think this should be covered as well. I bought the KH 24 with an assembled wheel and I wouldn’t be disassembling the wheel if not for the problem. It only cost $650.00, this should not be happening!:frowning:

Try doing that three times!

Seems like we have three or four threads with “related” problems.

Bumping this thread.

My hub started squeaking only 30-40 miles ago, and I plan on using this Saturday for the Whiteface climb. Would anyone here have a guess as to how many miles this thing has left on it before the performance begins to degrade? I’m hoping at least 8 more miles!