I’ve been working on another prototype uni - this time a 29er. As some of you might know, I’ve built several machined aluminum 24" MUni’s but this is my first road cycle. The new frame is very much like the others I’ve built except you could say this one is “stupid light” in it’s minimalist design. In other words, I’ve tried to make it as light as I could but I might have gone too far!
There’s a couple changes based on the testing that’s been done on the MUni frames. This one still uses the “pinch bolt” type bearing holders but I’ve added a small lip around the outside to help retain the bearings. Oddly enough, when the bearings moved in the earlier frames the bearings always moved out so I hope the lip on the outside of the new frame will keep that from happening.
Another change is in the way the seat tube and crown go together. One of the MUni frames failed there - most likely because I assembled it without Loctite. So I’ve added a small step in the seat tube to keep it from slipping down in the crown as well as adding a spring pin throught the whole works to keep things from twisting. Like the earlier frames, the seat tube is a press fit with the crown and assembled with Loctite.
I’ve put some photos in the gallery. They aren’t very good so tomorrow in the light of day I’ll take some better ones and replace them. They are located here:
I haven’t ridden it yet but am planning to tomorrow. Should be an interesting comparison to Harper’s uni.5 that I will also ride tomorrow.