pros/cons of plastic/metal pedals?

who flips w/ metal pedals

Hey. For my style of street riding, I jump down a lot of stairs and do a lot of grinding. I am also a fan of the “one plastic, one metal” method. However, if you’re doing this, I must stress that your back pedal should be the metal one. This is because the back pedal takes a lot more abuse on drops and what not. I’ve tried riding a plastic one on my back foot, but I usually end up breaking it in approximately 15 minutes. The best is probably the grindplates on metal medals, I know a lot of people who crankflip with metal pedals no problem.

Kevin McMullin

Lighter pedals will make any skill involving rotating the unicycle easier, since you are reducing the mass at distance from the center of rotation. Unispins and crankflips are the most common skills that require very rapid spinning, and with heavier pedals it is harder to get the spin going, and stop it again (angular momentum, etc, etc). You’ll feel the same benefit by using magnesium pedals.

Loose.

I do, or I have been, now I have 1 metal and 1 plastic one but its only been like that for a day so I don’t know if I like it. Flips with metal pedals aren’t bad, just its easier with plastic ones.

Oh and crankflips with grindplates suck, I land on the grindplate every single time…

hey,

I know this is a fairly old thread, but hopefully some1 will ansa…

ATM im riding a stock KH with SNAFU pedals, and am finding the pedals to grippy. I can 360 unispin and am pretty close to crankflips, and want some plastic pedals, so i can move my feet around easyer, coz my SNAFU’s are rippin my shoes appart when i try to move.

So, my question for you… What sort of plastic pedals do you use? I would by some Jim C’s but there a bit expencive, so im hopin plastic pedals are cheaper…

Thanks for your help,

Liam

I am not going to join in this discussion, as my reasons for using plastic might be considered trivial. The thought of riding around with a beaver trap under each foot worries me, and maybe I value my legs too much…

Nao

woah his name’s Liam… just like me :slight_smile:

i like plastic pedals as they wont cut up ur shins when u screw up and they are also lighter. i rekon metal are better though because they las longer and give u better grip; u can always wear shin guards.

keep it wheel.

i’ve got a pair of jim c odyssey pedals. They’re great for the riding i do, they’re super grippy and better in teh wet than the plastic ones my uni came with. i wear shin guards but the only place they’ve cut me up is on the back of my leg which hurts. After using my new metal pedals, i’ll never go back to plastic

What the hell, are u gettting paid yet?
and i was wondering, have u been riding since u were in the womb, or are u a one-night champion?

i do

Any single “flip” trick is easy with medals and as possible as with plastics. The grinding is that that great on ledges with medals but they slide rails the same. When one gets into double “Flip” tricks medals won’t work very well. I’m ridin one medal one plastic and i hate it. Plastics whip faster in all senses, but break if one goes big. So supertech/small & (ledge/rail grinds) plastic, short term life (depends on grinding amount) . Decent Tech/Big & (Rail grinds) Medal, long term life. This is only related to street, because it’s all I ride.
-Shaun Johanneson

Most of you guys are writing as if all metal pedals are the same and all plastics are the same. Please remember, a good (expensive) metal pedal can be lighter and than plastic. a good-quality plastic pedal might have better bearings and a longer life (if you don’t abuse it) than a cheap metal one.

It took a long time in this thread before anyone mentioned the “flesh-eating” aspects of metal pedals. Years ago, before Trials and MUni (and Street), you used plastic pedals for tricks, so they wouldn’t rip up your legs. Also you usually need plastic pedals any time you’re allowed to ride indoors. I have some really nice plastic Freestyle pedals with rubber ends that I use on my Freestyle. They’re made in Japan, specifically for Freestylers.

If I’m going to be doing any sorts of tricks that involve jumping on or off the pedals, or big jumps with the uni, I have to either wear lots of armor (never a bad idea) or think about the pins in the pedals. I find a relatively smooth pedal, combined with a grippy shoe, make for a good combination of grip + mobility + safety.

For rides like my MUni and my Coker, my main concern is to have enough grip, and a pedal that won’t fall apart. Lots of pedals fit that category, so I haven’t been choosy though I have changed models over the years.

Just remember, all plastic pedals are not oranges, and all metal pedals are not apples. Knowing what you want from your pedals will help you choose the best one for the job.

metal for everything i cant ride street on plastic cus i dont have enough grip doing onefooters and because i onlu have one uni

well id sure hope no ones gonna buy a whole new uni for just a different pair of pedals, if so they need to give me some money!

had anyone tried sealed mag pedals with a titanium spindle? it seems like that would solve almost all the problems other than them being expensive. there lighter than plastic, so crankflipping would be easier, they slide really well, and depending which ones you get, are usually the right amount of grip. they also will last a long time if there sealed.

miles

i have eastern brand magnesium pedals w/ the titanium spindle, i put them on my uni when i got new pedals on my bike. They are really light, and flip tircks arent bad on them.

I don’t have any shin protection so my main reason for using plastic is the same as yours, they are so much more forgiving on your legs.

But what sort of plastic pedals do you use???

Liam

i 100% completely agree with what johnfoss said, summed it up for everyone.