Proprietary parts on a huni.

I’m considering either a coker or a huni. Am wondering which parts are proprietary on a huni, if any. I like the portability and am trying to weigh the various pros and cons in my head. For example are the pedal axles and the pedal bearings (bottom brackets?) pretty standard fare?

From what little I’ve read…

Huni cons:
Pedal strikes (the pedal hits the ground or other objects while riding) especially when turning.
The possibility of the cranks getting out of sync over time since each is on a separate, independent chain.

36er cons:
Minimum inseam required.
More difficult to mount.
A bit harder to store. ie toss in your trunk when you want to go on a ride.

I don’t have either though, so hopefully others will chime in. I do know that I’d go for a 36er over a huni… I mean there’s a remote possibility that I’d try a 36er for muni, no way no how would I try muni on a huni.

Be wary of the Huni- general consensus is that it doesn’t work in any practical way.

Cokers are very big- if you’re looking for something more portable, a 29-er would be an option. Possibly a geared 29-er if you have the money.

uhhh…

I’m in the process of building my own geared “huni” style ride and there are no parts on the market from my searchings. The “rex” on UDC even says “custom bottom bracket,” which sounds to me like they will only have a few spares on hand if you needed one.

The reason I want to build my own is because I won’t pay what the Rex wants and so I know what I need if something goes wrong.

Hmm, it is a custom bottom bracket eh? Thanks for the info. I didn’t see that on the Canadian UDC and good to know.

I’m used to UPDs on 26" and was thinking that a UPD on a Huni might be less unpleasant at speed than on 36". That and the compactness were the main pros regardless of the increase in complexity.

Thanks.

The point of a 36er is more than just the speed, the larger wheel rolls over everything and acts as a massive flywheel making it fly along and feel supper efficient.

Mounting is subjective and personally had no issue with it, the huni may be harder to mount as it is much liked a geared hub in high in that the wheel does not move 1:1 with the cranks so mounting forces are different and you don’t have the resistance of the large wheel when you step up on it. Also the cranks are beneath the axle so as well as pedal strike issues your center of gravity is lower as you are not pivoting around the axle making it possible feel a bit weird.

The consensus is the huni is an interesting toy but doesn’t really work, so I would scrub that idea.

What are you intending on doing with this new Uni riding wise and what have you ridden as this may help people advise you better? :slight_smile:

@Feisty

Thanks. Right, I didn’t consider the flywheel/roll-ability when comparing the two.

I started on a cheap 20" in September and am now commuting on a cheap 26" unicycle. So my experience is fairly limited. I know once the snow melts I’ll be looking at something faster for the commute and for long distance.

If I get profficient enough to ride brevets on it with my local Randonneuring club, that’d bring my dependence on two wheels down a notch.

A short cranked 29er or ideally a 36er would be simpler and do what you require, there are lots of 29 or 36er threads about if you have a search.

As you ride a 26" a 29" will not be much of a jump in speed, I would say to go the whole hog and get the big wheel, I ummed and ahhed about what to get for a while and everyone said the same to me and they were right, the 36 is awesome and I use it offroad to great effect as well :slight_smile:

Excellent, thanks @Feisty.

Huni isn’t great, 29er or 36 is!

What in blue blazes is a huni? Sounds like some varmint you shoot for target practice.

elmer-fudd-2.jpg

It’s a geared unicycle but with chains. I don’t think it can be shifted at least not while riding.

shifting?, you fix the gear ratio with loctite…