Profile Hubs... these days. Anyone still using 'em?

Evenin’

So I’d really like to give uni’ing a shot again, and my frame will only allow me to take 40mm bearings (Miyata lollipops) so my options for a decent splined hub is limited to only a Profile … or an ISIS set up with KH’s mod’d 40mm bearings.

Profile-wise, is anyone still using them on their trials/street unis? Though I guess you Muni riders are more likely to still be running them? If anyone is, can anyone confirm with me whether or not Profile did update/upgrade their uni hubs since their initial release? I heard whispers that at some point their axle/hubshell keyway interface was improved to prevent slop/creaking. Is this true? And how about the new super-hollowed out GDH axle that Profile has these days for their BMX axles? Anyone know of any uni riders running a Profile hub with the GDH axle? I’m thinking of getting one like this myself.

But, I could move to ISIS… I just want a 32h hub. Can anyone give me any info on the Koxx 32h hub? Is it TRUE ISIS this time around? I’d like to run something like Tensiles on there and will definitely need KH’s 40mm bearings to fit on the axle too… so for it to be True ISIS is absolutely crucial.

On another note: Where can I still get Tensile 140mm cranks from?

Thanks

:slight_smile:

If I was in your situation I would forget the profiles as old tech, and move on. It’s hard to find Profiles in lengths under 145mm’s, and even if you can it’s not compatible with anything else.

The easiest way to get a 32 hole rim to work right now is to use a 48 hole Nimbus hub and skip every third hole on the hub. Eric (Sask) just built up a 32 hole 29’er rim this way and it looks perfect.

Use the nimbus hub with the KH bearings and you’re set. Now you have a world of crank lengths available including all of the new short Nimbus Venture models.

Yes, new K1 hubs are true ISIS. (i’ve tried mine with koxx, KH and qu ax ISIS cranks and they all fitted fine :slight_smile: )

First of all, I would avoid the KH shimmed bearings unless they’ve resolved the issues with the spacers rubbing (which I don’t think they have).

Second, I would be surprised if either a Profile or any of the ISIS hubs would work with Miyata bearing holders. The holes for the axle are pretty small. Profile is slightly more likely to work because you won’t need a spacer.

But really, if you want a splined setup, you’re better off getting a new frame with 42mm bearing holders.

Thanks for all your replies

The frame I’m using is The Ti, that oldie from Universe 2 and Defect (Dan Heaton and Zack Baldwin riding it, respectively). So it’s been using Profiles since its creation back in 2001/2002.

I used Profiles on it up 'til I sold everything except the frame. 145mm was a great length for me! No fuss there. However, it’s just that I’d like to try out ISIS on and see how it works out.

I modded the Miyata lollipops, and a Profile bearing sits in perfectly and there’s no interferance whatsoever. But, I want to try ISIS so I have to use a 40mm bearing… sadly only offering is by KH (that shimmed one).

Did the shimmed 40mm KH bearings run into issues? If so, that’s news to me. Anyone care to shed some light on this issue?

See this thread for discussion. Some people say it works for them. I sent mine back.

Note that the shims are not the same width as the bearings themselves; that setup might not work well with the Miyata bearing cups.