Probs with Lasco Cranks

Re: Re: Probs with Lasco Cranks

I recently spoke with John D. about this very subject as we ordered a set of Bicycle Euros for Ben’s busted Lascos on his Monty trials uni. We agreed that the 150’s were too long and stood the chance of pedal scrapes or other maladies yet the 125’s were a bit too short for the leverage sometimes needed in trials. John mentioned that good length would be 135 or so which are not available in a Bicycle Euro.

We ended up ordering the 125’s figuring having to use more leg strength is better than an UPD caused by a pedal scrape.

I should also mention that, when I first searched the newsgroup for info on Bicycle Euro cranks, I thought everyone was talking about the alloy B.E.s to replace the alloy Lascos. I finally realized that the talk was of steel cranks which is what we ordered.

Bruce

Re: Probs with Lasco Cranks

The weird thing about my lascos is that they broke right in the middle, not
where they attach to the axle… Lascos suck…

-Dylan

wow. I hate my life. I had not been reading for a week or so, because I was extreamly wrapped up in getting money together and deciding and ordering parts to construct my first monster muni. The one with the really amazing looking, inexpencive lasco cranks… I was really exited too. And it wassnt untill today, after a week and a half of scrambling money, and fighting with banks and countless calls to unicycle.com, that the order finaly went through, now I come home and read this. I guess the new plan is, get to a bikeshop with some money, and see if I can get an backup pair upfront. When the uni comes in, If what you all say is true, the first drop should do it. I was already managing 3 ft drops on my 40 year old schwin with stock cranks on them. (wow, they died nicely in the end, hub twisted and everything, 28 spoke rim held up however).

On a side note… what do people find is the difficulty in learning large drops? For me so far, I have been limited only by the fear of breaking what I am riding. I have never once fallen on a planed drop however, and I have stood at the top of 6-7 ft drops and felt no hesitation besides not wanting to go without a uni for the next 2 months while I get the money for a new one. What it seems to me is that it is mostly about managing your fear, and since I can handle similar drops in other sports, i simply have less of that fear? Is that all true? Or am I going to get my muni and confidently jump to my death off a 7 ft ledge my first week on the thing?

Re: Probs with Lasco Cranks

> On a side note… what do people find is the difficulty in learning
> large drops? For me so far, I have been limited only by the fear of
> breaking what I am riding. I have never once fallen on a planed drop
> however, and I have stood at the top of 6-7 ft drops and felt no
> hesitation besides not wanting to go without a uni for the next 2 months
> while I get the money for a new one. What it seems to me is that it is
> mostly about managing your fear, and since I can handle similar drops in
> other sports, i simply have less of that fear? Is that all true? Or am
> I going to get my muni and confidently jump to my death off a 7 ft ledge
> my first week on the thing?
>
>
I’d suggest that you work your way to 7 feet by successfully landing drops
of increasing height gradually.

Remember that the higher the drop the more you accelerate toward an
unyielding earth. So there is a big difference between a 3 foot drop and a
6-7 foot drop. Really big drops are probably best done where the landing
area allows you to ride out some of the impact (i.e. a sloped landing).

My largest drops are only about 3 feet. This is partly due to equipment,
partly to the terrain I ride, and mostly due to fear.

-mg